Five pictures of Jimmy in a box... £7000?

woz70

I never bought into the perfectionist scam . If so then he is terrible at being perfect. His albums with the Firm his solo album and Clarksdale , where far from perfection. That was rock music played by Jimmy Page with a Band .Something his has alluded to be doing again for the last 15 years Like Zephead said . Zep 1 and 2 where recorded fast and Presence too! When your Jimmy Page and you have no new songs of your own it becomes apparent that your well is dry. Stick up for Jimmy Page I couldn't care less, but realize that he is the one who drags things out . Robert Plant gets blasted on this site all the time,but Robert Plant makes music because he is ambitious. Jimmy Page is not . Simple as that .

You say he's not ambitious as if that's a bad thing. He's almost 70, if he accomplished what he set out to do when he and Jeff Beck used to play in the front room of his house, why would he be ambitious at this stage?

Why would anyone complain about Jimmy Page selling some photographs? The man can do as he pleases. If this somehow bothers you, you have a little too much time on your hands. If there's a market for them, they'll sell; if there isn't, they won't. Big deal. No one would even be on this website if it weren't for Jimmy Page.

Why would anyone complain about Jimmy Page selling some photographs? The man can do as he pleases. If this somehow bothers you, you have a little too much time on your hands. If there's a market for them, they'll sell; if there isn't, they won't. Big deal. No one would even be on this website if it weren't for Jimmy Page.

I think folks are just frustrated that Page has yet to deliver on any of the new music he continues to allude to so they take out their frustrations via their dissatisfaction with his book, website, the releases of the Death Wish II and Lucifer's Rising soundtracks on vinyl and now, this photograph collection. It reminds me of when Robert Plant refused to tour with Zeppelin following their performance at the 02 in 2007 due to his previous commitment to the Raising Sand tour with Alison Krauss. I can't count the amount of times I saw him bashed and insulted in these forums. Now, Page is the subject of the same sort of behavior. No amount of foot stomping and temper tantrums on the part of his fanbase is going to change anything. If and when Page decides to deliver on his promise of new music, he will. In the meantime, no one has any obligation whatsoever to buy any of these products or to visit his website. All good things in all good time...

if jimmy is a perfectionist then how did the two absolutely awful edits in WLL and D&C get put onto the new SRTS soundtrack? the worst edits i have ever heard on any album bar none. a chimp with a razor blade and some sellotape could have done those splices better justice

7K for some photos? it's a joke. i think it's all getting too silly on jimmy's part. what next? maybe he'll float himself on the stock exchange and start selling shares in jimmy page plc,

Don't give him ideas. Didn't David Bowie do this a few years ago?

When the website first came out and the On This Day feature started, I was on board. I said that it is a palette cleanser. And it has done a fantastic job of resetting my thinking. Now granted, I am not as obsessive a fan as many on this board. I discovered Jimmy with Led Zeppelin 4 and went backwards and then continued to follow the band. So frankly, in my mind, Jimmy has been "1/4 of Led Zeppelin, who also did some other things." My palette has been cleansed. And my appreciation of zeppelin is more nuanced. Kashmir and SIBLY and WLL and the lot of it are not as isolated in my thinking as they once were. Now I think of those tunes as being the same guy that played "Downtown" and maryann Faithfull and the rest. On some level my appreciation for the choices Jimmy made in Zeppelin were enhanced by seeing the larger picture--more than the decade of Zeppelin. And the website has done that job well. And I also hold out hope that much of this is a purposeful angering and alienation of the OCD Zep-obsessed crowd. If there was ever a bunch whose expectations needed a little kick in the teeth, that is the proper lot. When that crowd starts rumbling with the "clearly he just can't bring it anymore" and "he's all done".....well.....we'll see. I will never believe that Jimmy Page is going to let those whining nabobs call his bluff if he is holding no cards. It seems calculated and well....funny to me. I hope I am right.

When the website first came out and the On This Day feature started, I was on board. I said that it is a palette cleanser. And it has done a fantastic job of resetting my thinking. Now granted, I am not as obsessive a fan as many on this board. I discovered Jimmy with Led Zeppelin 4 and went backwards and then continued to follow the band. So frankly, in my mind, Jimmy has been "1/4 of Led Zeppelin, who also did some other things." My palette has been cleansed. And my appreciation of zeppelin is more nuanced. Kashmir and SIBLY and WLL and the lot of it are not as isolated in my thinking as they once were. Now I think of those tunes as being the same guy that played "Downtown" and maryann Faithfull and the rest. On some level my appreciation for the choices Jimmy made in Zeppelin were enhanced by seeing the larger picture--more than the decade of Zeppelin. And the website has done that job well. And I also hold out hope that much of this is a purposeful angering and alienation of the OCD Zep-obsessed crowd. If there was ever a bunch whose expectations needed a little kick in the teeth, that is the proper lot. When that crowd starts rumbling with the "clearly he just can't bring it anymore" and "he's all done".....well.....we'll see. I will never believe that Jimmy Page is going to let those whining nabobs call his bluff if he is holding no cards. It seems calculated and well....funny to me. I hope I am right.

Great post.

if jimmy is a perfectionist then how did the two absolutely awful edits in WLL and D&C get put onto the new SRTS soundtrack?

One of the Shirley edits is not in Dazed & Confused but during the guitar solo in No Quarter. :bubble:

And nothing is really lost. If you are not happy with the somewhat butchered remastered version you can always go back to the good old original TSRTS NQ. And this one is just perfect vintage Jimmy.

Robert Plant gets blasted on this site all the time,but Robert Plant makes music because he is ambitious. Jimmy Page is not . Simple as that .

Bullshit. I really hope the future will show you big time how you are so WRONG with your statement.

Ambition has zero to do with whether or not Jimmy Page puts out new music or performs live again. Both he and Robert have had long, illustrious careers and have worked hard. Robert thrives on his career and is enjoying his career. Jimmy might not want to live at such a fast pace. They both have earned the right to do as they choose and if Jimmy chooses not to focus on music then he has the right to do so. He worked his ass off for decades so the man certainly deserves a period in his life,now that he is 68, to enjoy the fruits of his labor.(No pun intended)

But onto the issue of the photos, I am still of the opinion that he is charging too much. To me, this is very much an ego driven endeavor. Isn't his website meant for his huge fan base rather than a select few who have several zeros in their bank accounts? Why doesn't he sell poster quality versions of the photos, as well as the £1000 ones, that the majority can afford and sell a run of maybe 100-200 each for about £20? The revenue, after production costs, can go to the Brazillian charity his exwife started and that he supports.

Just a thought...

Even as a huge Jimmy fan, I know the guy is right & you are in fact "so WRONG".

What do you know for sure ? Jimmy is a guitarist. He doesn't sing. So it means he has to rely on a singer to be "complete". As for Plant, he can do whatever he wants, switching endlessly from one guitarist to the other, from one formula to the other, from one band to the other, in the end not really knowing where his real self is.

Page is centered. He deeply knows his golden age is LED ZEPPELIN, a band with whom he has accomplished his most cherished dreams. Now that he has experienced a second time musical partnership with Robert, he's not able to see any viable musical future without him. I can't stand people bashing Jimmy constantly without further understanding : Jimmy wants Robert to sing because he knows he is one of the TOP singers of his generation. His voice is the perfect complement to his playing, his fire is the perfect fuel to his excellence and his tone is the eternal signature to one of the best rock catalogue. All other options are futile in his eyes.

What do you know for sure ? Jimmy is a guitarist. He doesn't sing. So it means he has to rely on a singer to be "complete". As for Plant, he can do whatever he wants, switching endlessly for one guitarist to the other, from one formula to the other, from one band to the other, in the end not really knowing where his real self is.

Page is centered. He deeply knows his golden age is LED ZEPPELIN, a band with whom he has accomplished his most cherished dreams. Now that he has experienced a second time musical partnership with Robert, he's not able to see any viable musical future without him. I can't stand people bashing Jimmy constantly without further understanding : Jimmy wants Robert to sing because he knows he is one of the TOP singers of his generation. His voice is the perfect compliment to his playing, his fire is the perfect fuel to his excellence and his tone is the eternal signature to one of the best rock catalogue. All other options are futile in his eyes.

Furthermore, Page gets killed by fans and press alike no matter who he chooses as a singer. I'm hoping he can see a way to perform and/or record as an instrumentalist. What a pain in the ass to have to audition singers at 60-something years old!

What do you know for sure ? Jimmy is a guitarist. He doesn't sing. So it means he has to rely on a singer to be "complete". As for Plant, he can do whatever he wants, switching endlessly for one guitarist to the other, from one formula to the other, from one band to the other, in the end not really knowing where his real self is.

Plant doesn't know where his "real self is"? To my ears Zeppelin were a musically adventurous band that knew no boundaries. Plant continues to embody that very spirit.

Plant doesn't know where his "real self is"? To my ears Zeppelin were a musically adventurous band that knew no boundaries. Plant continues to embody that very spirit.

Yes true. But he could do that with Jimmy and John Paul too. And better than he does it solo, imho. One thing I really don't understand is his behaviour towards John Paul. For me there's something definitely twisted between the three remaining members of Led Zeppelin, something that has to do with hidden resentment, something that could lead Jimmy to take really wrong decisions just as stated in the subject of this topic. Wrong people around Jimmy, old story ....

Yes true. But he could do that with Jimmy and John Paul too. And better than he does it solo, imho.

For all intents and purposes, Led Zeppelin ended in 1980. I'm perfectly content with each member pursuing their own projects.

Ambition has zero to do with whether or not Jimmy Page puts out new music or performs live again. Both he and Robert have had long, illustrious careers and have worked hard. Robert thrives on his career and is enjoying his career. Jimmy might not want to live at such a fast pace. They both have earned the right to do as they choose and if Jimmy chooses not to focus on music then he has the right to do so. He worked his ass off for decades so the man certainly deserves a period in his life,now that he is 68, to enjoy the fruits of his labor.(No pun intended)

But onto the issue of the photos, I am still of the opinion that he is charging too much. To me, this is very much an ego driven endeavor. Isn't his website meant for his huge fan base rather than a select few who have several zeros in their bank accounts? Why doesn't he sell poster quality versions of the photos, as well as the £1000 ones, that the majority can afford and sell a run of maybe 100-200 each for about £20? The revenue, after production costs, can go to the Brazillian charity his exwife started and that he supports.

Just a thought...

What a brilliant idea! I'd love a massive poster of the Ross Halfin one.

I think Jimmy is into photography as a fine art though, so maybe poster-quality images are not where his interests lie right now. I don't see it as a money-fueled thing but that he wants the very best quality possible. It's way out of my league in terms of price, but what're you gonna do... I'm not really wild about the shots chosen, personally. Now if it was one of the Sol Studios photos, I'd feel a pang of regret.

JP_at_Sol_Studios_Cookham_Berkshire.jpg

As for the "obsessive fan" comments. Yes, I believe there are some "fan"atics that need to flushed out. I don't belong to this crowd. I could care less what Jimmy Page smells like, where he shops, who is Pops was or how many days he went without washing his Planet Pants. :bubble: K? I don't reject the Photos, I reject the price and that he doesn't start at the beginning of his laundry list.

One question, out of those of us who sat through the countdown for the Website launch on this forum together, based on Page's commitment to "new music", who thought that day in July would bring "new music"? (And when I say "new" I mean, recently recorded material)

I did. 'Cause Jimmy pretty much told me so. :coffee:

I think Jimmy is into photography as a fine art though, so maybe poster-quality images are not where his interests lie right now. I don't see it as a money-fueled thing but that he wants the very best quality possible. It's way out of my league in terms of price, but what're you gonna do... I'm not really wild about the shots chosen, personally. Now if it was one of the Sol Studios photos, I'd feel a pang of regret.

JP_at_Sol_Studios_Cookham_Berkshire.jpg

You're a woman after my own heart, as those 1973 Sol Studios shots are some of my favourite images of Jimmy. :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I'm holding out for a Lori Maddox series. Or maybe Ross will suggest a "vagina" set next?

They are simply asserting these prints will fetch far more than £1,000/£7,000 on the secondary market once they have sold out.

Jimmy's unwillingness to sign autographs in public is rooted in his disdain for the hordes of professional autograph seekers who hound celebrities for signatures at every turn. Offering signed albums and prints through his website offers fans an opportunity

to acquire a genuine autograph at market value. Bear in mind he will still occassionally sign in public for free but very seldom.

For those who don't reside in London, Rio or Pattaya :P you have virtually no chance for a free autograph encounter in public.

the price of the Neal Preston picture is now £1250.

This thing is usual among the sales of deluxe books and, as it is said in the JP website, in the art world

^^^^^ That makes zero sense to me. Why punish those who wait to purchase the photos? I bought his book at the end and paid the same price as it was originally listed. I can see how the value of the photos going up over the course of a few years or months even, but just in a matter af days? Especially since they are still available. A huge WTF!!

Photographers are not artists - if they were, they wouldn't need to fire off hundreds of shots to get a few good ones. If there were any artistry involved in photography, they'd get it right all the time, or at least most of the time. As it is, they rely on luck, which plays no part in the creation of true art.

I beg to differ. Do artists who paint never start over and paint all of their masterpieces from scratch? What about musicians, think they've never had to re-do a song or erased tape in the studio in order to perfect their art?

Archived