I'm going to buy a new guitar!

DAS

I have been wanting a Les Paul for a long time. I can afford it and I'm ready for a new guitar now. So I would like some input from some of the more experienced players here. Do you think it's worth it for someone who plays as a hobby to buy a Gibson or settle for an Epiphone? Also, is it worth the extra cash for a different kind of Les Paul? I've noticed that the Studio guitars are alot cheaper than the Standard or Custom guitars and so forth. If I was to pony up and go for a Gibson is it worth it to go the extra dough and get a higher end model? I've never played a Les Paul so I need some info on them. I have some info already but I'd like more opinions before actually spending the money.

Hey DAS, if you have never played one, I highly recomment that you do. They are a different cat than a Strat or Tele. If you are going to put out that kind of cash I would play a whole bunch of them and see which one feels good in your hands and sounds good. You may not even like it. Some don't.....Be aware of the various necks that are out there also. Some are a bit fatter. Talk to the salesperson about the different neck options. They are fantastic guitars but you need to feel it in your own hands and hear it in your ears. There is nothing wrong with Epiphones but if you have the dough, a Les Paul Standard is a beauty. I love mine, but my Strat and Tele are often plugged into my amp too....good luck and post a photo if you pull the trigger on something.....cheers Rich

I've got a couple Les Pauls, an EDS1275 and a couple strats. They all have a different feel to them - especially since my practice guitar is a Kramer. Agree with the above, try 'em out at a guitar store. I've played Les pauls with a thick, wide neck that felt uncomfortable. I've played Peavey's that sounded incredible through an amp. I recommend trying a bunch out for "feel" then plug them in an see if they have the sound you are looking for. Have the salesman plug it into a couple different amps too! Nothing wrong with Epiphones - I've played some that felt and sounded AWESOME!

Hi DAS, I have to say that I really love Les Pauls and, If I had the possibility, I'd buy one or two, of course!! But a year ago I chose an Epiphone: very nice sound, there's really nothing wrong with it, but yes, If you try it, a Les Paul is definitely more powerful and a lot more amazing! I advise you to do like me: I begged my parents to buy me Gibson Pick-ups as a Chistmas present, which is cheaper, and I changed them with the Epiphone ones: the result is fantastic, there's actually a few difference between them!

Let me just add to the excellent responses above. Once you have fooled around witha few Pauls and found the type you like with the neck which is most comfortable, write down all the info and look for the same guitar on ebay, the classifieds, used stores etc... That's how I found my 1964 Tele, through the classifieds. It is worth about $3,000 and I bought it for $300 with original case. When I saw what he had and I ran the serial number I almost shit! He could not believe I did not try and haggle him down. Talk about a win-win.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I went with a white Les Paul studio. It was on sale. It is shockingly different from my 10 year old strat. Thanks for the help y'all.

Update: I went with a white Les Paul studio. It was on sale. It is shockingly different from my 10 year old strat. Thanks for the help y'all.

Hey DAS, congrats! Enjoy....would love to see a photo sometime....Guitars, Guitars Guitars! ciao Rich

Archived