Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

Why does'nt he do a Slash-type project where he enlists loads of guest stars/collaborators? Personally i think he shot his creative bolt after the Coverdale Page release which was awesome, but with a few helping hands he could get inspired again - just a thought?

Nah, I don't think that's a good idea...really.

The collaboration with guest musicians and vocalists is good but not for an original album effort that would serve as a basis for a tour....And furthermore the album where each song is sang by a different artist looses its soul and coherency...And both of Slash's albums sucked btw...well in my opinion.

What he could consider doing though is teaming up with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham + John Paul Jones.... THAT would be a monster record! Glenn has both the voice and energy to keep up with Jimmy's thunderous riffs and killer solos! :bubble: Just a thought...

Edited by Neon Genesis

What he could consider doing though is teaming up with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham + John Paul Jones.... THAT would be a monster record! Glenn has both the voice and energy to keep up with Jimmy's thunderous riffs and killer solos! :bubble: Just a thought...

Now that's an idea! Don't know about twin bass guitars though! lol

what would have been cool would have been after he finished touring with the black crowes if he'd gone into the studio with them and did a collaborative record with them. I mean, he'd just toured with them so they had to be all gelled and presumably comfortable writing together. I just feel like that could have been a great environment for jimmy to work in.

^ I agree and hoped that could be a possibility too back in 99/00. Back then i was listening to the black crows album lions, was thinking some of the songs sounded like something page would do and looked through the cd booklet to make sure jimmy page wasnt listed on the credits.

These days jimmy page could be in a room, with his guitars, a bow, a theramin and just play some of his ideas for songs, songs, experimental stuff, record it and put it on record and sell it from his website. Even if they were loose frameworks of songs, it would be so interesting to hear some instrumentals...which could always be recorded with a singer later on. Im wondering if someone of his stature cannot just release material like that and it has to be financed and ok'd a hundred times or something, because i am surprised such an adventurous guitarist could be so quiet for so long. Even if he was to revisit his own sound and rehashed aspects of stuff he did, anyway looking forward to hearing his new material in 2013.

With it might get loud, he had the instrumentals domino and others, so i am hoping that he does an instrumental album.

Turning 70 in a little over a year from now, coupled with having, oh, a 100 million dollars in the bank from being in one of the most successful recording and touring groups ever, I would imagine I wouldn't have much energy or will to put out anything NEW. Everything and anything he does will be and is compared to Zeppelin and there is no topping that, thus chances are it would be seen as "ok" at best. Seems to me he's just enjoying his life and doing Zeppelin projects on the side. This is what I think he'll be doing until he checks in with St. Peter. Don't think he hasn't thought of all the options and opportunities......that's what artists do. He's just done and I accept that.

Ian Hunter is 74 and his shows are as good as ever.

Just repeating Knebby's point because a) I agree with it and B) it is relevant to this thread !

Slightly off-topic but I have to say ... I really hate that this really popular thread is titled as it is : "Why DOESN'T ... etc" It is so like the worst kind of Daily Mail articles it makes me indignant just to read it . There is something about that phrasing , with the capitals, which blanks out all rational thought..

"Why doesnt Pagey do something ? " is an almost open question which at least invites discussion... that DOESN'T just makes me think " Well why the f*** should he? "

Sorry to those who don't read the Mail and don't suffer this irritation.. !

Slightly off-topic but I have to say ... I really hate that this really popular thread is titled as it is : "Why DOESN'T ... etc" It is so like the worst kind of Daily Mail articles it makes me indignant just to read it . There is something about that phrasing , with the capitals, which blanks out all rational thought..

"Why doesnt Pagey do something ? " is an almost open question which at least invites discussion... that DOESN'T just makes me think " Well why the f*** should he? "

Sorry to those who don't read the Mail and don't suffer this irritation.. !

LOL! As the OP of this thread, sorry that I give you irritation. Is the Mail the one with the Page 3 woman??

My posting (with the capitals) was more along the lines of "a man with this much talent, thousands of musicians would love to work with him, Jonesy and Plant are doing things, he could do anything at all [instrumental, accoustic, interpretations of classic guitarist songs], etc." With all these possibilities, and to read that JP will be giving us remastered versions of all the previous Zep LPs, with outtakes and what not, just made me think "you're a major league talent JP, you have influenced countless musicians, do *anything* (new)"

A few people have pointed out the obvious, he doesn't need to do anything. I agree, but it boggles my mind to see so much talent stuck in neutral for so long.

Edited by in_the_evening

• 1 month later...

I don't have insider information but possible reasons for Page's relative inactivity:

1) He's 69 years old, Most people his age are retired anyway.

2) His children with Jimena are teenagers. He wants to spend as much time with them as possible before they leave home.

3) Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, Page was addicted to various substances for decades. Maintaining his sobriety may take all of his energy and focus.

4) This is related to #3. Making music may have become so intertwined with drugs and alcohol for Page he can't have the former without the latter.

5) He's remastering the Zep catalog. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that while Plant, Jones and John Bonham's estate have to sign off on any releases of material, most of the actual work is done by Page and the sound engineer.

Edited by Disco Duck

• 8 months later...

Maybe Mr. Page is fully retired. Who knows. If he has arthritis and low energy, it would be hard to do guitar. He will be 70 soon. Beck is close to that age but Jeff Beck seems 40 --- full of energy and new techniques, plus a teenager's body. The other rock stars of that age group must marvel at Jeff Beck, who has high energy and stamina like a 20 year old. I don't think Beck ever got into drugs or parties very much though and was rewarded with good health. He seems fairly "straight" as far as the "hard living rock world culture" goes and because of his good health, is still very much relevant and innovative He said he practices every day. I could see Jimmy Page going into film work as actor. He is still very charismatic and handsome for an older man, looks like one of those Hollywood studio execs, and would be very good in some roles. I could have imagined him in the Snape role of Harry Potter or as the lead in Les Miserables.