Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

17 hours ago, Bramstayer said:

Why cant he make an INSTRUMENTAL record??That would sell millions in NORTH AMERICA and the rest....but he REALLY need to stop dangling empty promises. It's uncool. And he's still cool to me. At this point he's 77 so recordings are good enough for me or even a special concert televised instead of body bashing tours...even if they do take 2 nights off. These dudes are old guys now. They ALL look way better than they deserve and the ones who work still play better than ever. 

Millons? You  at be right but I seriously doubt it. How many copies did he sell of his Outrider album I wonder. It hardly set the world alight did it. Do you play it much? 

I have no desire for an album from him. If he wants to fair enough, but I’m really not fussed, the world has moved on

He could do a televised concert but I seriously doubt he ever would as he wouldn’t risk messing up again. He’d be more likely to play two or three and cobble something together from it, and that would involve a lot of practice and time and though I have no more certainty than you I’d wager a sum it will never happen

1 hour ago, jsj said:

Millons? You  at be right but I seriously doubt it. How many copies did he sell of his Outrider album I wonder.

I looked it up. 

Outrider was at the height of Zeppelin mania post 1980 in the US.  It hit #26 on the US album charts and sold 500,000 copies in the US.  OK, but not great.  I recall those days.  There was a voracious appetite for anything Zeppelin, but apparently not for a solo album.  They had their debacles at Live Aid and Atlantic 40th of course, and Page toured with Jason for Outrider.

Coverdale Page hit #5 and sold 1,000,000 in the US, and that was also a big time for Zeppelin.

The Firm reached #17 and sold 500,000 in the US.  Big tour in the US.

Mean Business reached only #22 in the US. 

Death Wish II - right after the end of Zeppelin and around the time of Coda, reached #50 on the US charts.

And those were all before streaming services and YouTube.  

Edited by John M

11 minutes ago, John M said:

I looked it up. 

Outrider was at the height of Zeppelin mania post 1980 in the US.  It hit #26 on the US album charts and sold 500,000 copies in the US.  OK, but not great.  I recall those days.  There was a voracious appetite for anything Zeppelin, but apparently not for a solo album.  They had their debacles at Live Aid and Atlantic 40th of course, and Page toured with Jason for Outride.

Coverdale Page hit #5 and sold 1,000,000 in the US, and that was also a big time for Zeppelin.

The Firm reached #17 and sold 500,000 in the US.  Big tour in the US.

Mean Business reached only #22 in the US. 

Death Wish II - right after the end of Zeppelin and around the time of Coda, reached on #50 on the US charts.

And those were all before streaming services and YouTube.  

Well done, thanks. Very interesting and it hardly suggests that an instrumental album from him now, when he’s old and out of practise, does it? 

just maybe after the O2 he may have sold more but that’s a long time ago (14 years?). At the last shows he has attended, he’s either not played at all (Japan) played backing only (Beck) or played but ducked out of a solo (that guitar players event, I forget where) 

He’s finished. Move on

11 hours ago, jsj said:

Millons? You  at be right but I seriously doubt it. How many copies did he sell of his Outrider album I wonder. It hardly set the world alight did it. Do you play it much? 

I have no desire for an album from him. If he wants to fair enough, but I’m really not fussed, the world has moved on

He could do a televised concert but I seriously doubt he ever would as he wouldn’t risk messing up again. He’d be more likely to play two or three and cobble something together from it, and that would involve a lot of practice and time and though I have no more certainty than you I’d wager a sum it will never happen

Maybe NOT millions..hehehe,  but he could still do work without a vocalist. But i will have agree... its ....tick tock....time has perhaps made the decision for him. I hope he enjoys retirement. Cheers 

10 hours ago, jsj said:

Well done, thanks. Very interesting and it hardly suggests that an instrumental album from him now, when he’s old and out of practise, does it? 

just maybe after the O2 he may have sold more but that’s a long time ago (14 years?). At the last shows he has attended, he’s either not played at all (Japan) played backing only (Beck) or played but ducked out of a solo (that guitar players event, I forget where) 

He’s finished. Move on

I really didn't know alot of that, so thanks

Y’all are forgetting that Pagey has done something (60s through 2000s; 50+ years of studio recordings as a studio musician, solo artist, band member, writer, arranger and producer) as well as likely to do something in his 70s  (re-masters with bonus material of Coverdale/Page, Outrider, etc).

Q: Will he record and actually release any “new” (Solo) material??  A: Not likely, as he’s in his 70s and wants Led Zeppelin to be the main thing. 

R😎

Edited by reids

20 hours ago, reids said:

Y’all are forgetting that Pagey has done something (60s through 2000s; 50+ years of studio recordings as a studio musician, solo artist, band member, writer, arranger and producer) as well as likely to do something in his 70s  (re-masters with bonus material of Coverdale/Page, Outrider, etc).

Q: Will he record and actually release any “new” (Solo) material??  A: Not likely, as he’s in his 70s and wants Led Zeppelin to be the main thing. 

R😎

:goodpost:

He is doing something, he is banging Scarlett like an old screen door while caretaking both the Zeppelin legacy and Tower House. IMO his passion for both is about equal at this point. Page REALLY loves that house and pretty much anything Burges related.

He made his statement which cannot be exceeded. If he wants to take on the role of Dumbledore who is to blame him, he earned it.

Ps. but PLEEEEASE put out either 9-29-71 Japan, Best of Earls Court, or best of chronological live album. C'mon man, throw us punters a bone. 

On 5/25/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bramstayer said:

I really didn't know alot of that, so thanks

Jimmy failed to cultivate a proper solo career in the 80s & 90s career and suffered the consequences for it when Page/Plant disbanded in Spring 1999. Years of empty promises concerning his solo ambitions following the Led Zeppelin 02 Arena show ultimately extinguished any optimism and interest of even his most ardent supporters. Someone else said it best -- cherish the memories and wish him the best but we've all moved on from discussion topic. 

On 5/29/2012 at 3:14 AM, kaiser said:

Why should Page put out "new" music? Should he put out new music to only have it incessently nitpicked on this forum just as his website constantly is? Every time Page does something musically since the end of Zeppelin the responses are typically "He doesn't play like he did from 69-72", "Instead of playing with so & so he should have done this instead with so & so", "It's okay but it's not Zeppelin", etc. Okay, for those who clamor for a new album & say anything is better than inactivity, what if he went back & did a full album with Puff Daddy, would you support it if that's the venue he felt he really wanted to pursue? I highly doubt it, you'd complain instead that it's not what you wanted even though you said anything is better than nothing. For a forum that's supposed to be dedicated to the appreciation of a long defunct band & it's former members choices, a good portion of you are a demanding whiney lot. In the last 10 years that long defunct band released a career spanning DVD, a triple live album, performed a heavily bootlegged one off concert, pursued their seperate careers with unexpected choices but with fantastic results... but still, that's not enough. How about this, let Page & the former members continue doing exactly what they're doing as they owe you nothing particularly as your own whims will never be satisfied no matter what they do.

I know this is years later but I think what you wrote is totally fair. Some fans behave as though they are entitled to the work an artist creates.  I met Robert once he had a new baby, actually his brother in -law( i think was Glen) mentioned he had a new son with his former sister in law. So, see they have dysfuntional but still loving families to deal with just like we all do. I dunno but i really stopped seeing Robert as a rock star while I was in Worcester for awhile. Suddenly seeing him and Jason wasn't a big deal. The town where we lived is their hometown. In between all the demands to do interviews appearances where people talk endlessly about the past, they also have kids in school and summer holidays etc.. family shit.

• 2 months later...