Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

I got to thinking, why in the hell DOESN'T JP do some new stuff?

He feels he needs Plant to do anything of any value?

Can't do tours that are smaller than Zep venues (Percy seems content to play to 1 or 2 thousand people a night, instead of the 30 or 40k Zep woud have in a show).

The well is dry? (as a huge Dylan fan, I watched aghast as Bob did only two new albums in the 90s but did re-releases and "bootlegs" as well as covers for seven or eight albums in the decade.). I think an album of Page interpreting classics would be amazing!

Feels his best days are behind him and doesn't want to tarnish his legacy?

I know the answer might be: he doesn't HAVE to, but I just wonder with Percy and Jonesy doing stuff (some of it good, some not so much) why doesn't JP get out there and just take a chance?

Actually Jimmy has done "new" stuff.

1. the Death Wish 2 soundtrack re-release

2. the Lucifer Rising soundtrack

I would say no the Robert Plant inquiry

The touring question is debatable upon several categories, the first being why.

The well is not dry

These are new days for Senor Page, ahem, website material

James Patrick Page has never taken a chance. His entire career has been carefully thought out and wisely constructed to benefit himself first, then others. There is nothing wrong with that. That is called good business. That is not debatable for him, it might be debatable for the fans.

Actually Jimmy has done "new" stuff.

1. the Death Wish 2 soundtrack re-release

2. the Lucifer Rising soundtrack

I would say no the Robert Plant inquiry

The touring question is debatable upon several categories, the first being why.

The well is not dry

These are new days for Senor Page, ahem, website material

James Patrick Page has never taken a chance. His entire career has been carefully thought out and wisely constructed to benefit himself first, then others. There is nothing wrong with that. That is called good business. That is not debatable for him, it might be debatable for the fans.

You make some good points. Many of us think of a new album as being the only thing that would "count" as doing something. But after years of doing very little publicly, he's actually done quite a bit in the last year and a half going back to the book, the website launch, remastering and rereleasing DW2 and LR, etc. Hopefully new music is something he'll get to.

Unfortunately (for us) I think we've seen that last of him on the road playing. He's closer to 70 than he is to 60, I can't believe he's dying to hit the road at this point, if he was he could have done it at any point in the last 12(!) years. Never thought when I saw him at Jones Beach with the Crowes in July 2000 that would be my last chance to see the man play live!

Let us not forget it was Page himself who started the new album and performance talk. Remember he was dying to get back on the stage? I posted several of his comments made prior to the book and website in the 5 pictures thread.

He's not completely innocent.

Edited by betteremily

Spurts of talk to keep the masses interested.

I expect we'll see Outrider re-released with a special sleeve that will include Jimmy's emerald eyes moving side to side and glowing in the dark. There will also be a special limited edition bonus track of Hummingbird removing the vocals. This will sell for 50,000 pounds and will be made available to Gulf State Oil Sheiks only. The first 2,000 will be signed by Jimmy himself. Regular copies of the re-release will sell for 75 pounds and will include various photos (by Ross) of Jimmy watching TV in his easy chair.

I think that Jimmy Page is done as far as new material goes, unreleased material, well I hope that's a different story. The reason I say that is because when he did the interview at that David Bowie thing last week, I sensed, for the first time that Jimmy was in self-defense mode. He seemed to be making excuses for what he's said what he's been up to, what would be happening and what he would be doing, it just wasn't the same Jimmy--I've never seen him in that type of defense mode, it was like I wish the interviewer would catch a sense and move on. I'm not saying this paragraph with disdain or any kind of hard feeling, His music has continued to make me happy for many years, if he wants to take it easy and be a retired gentleman, that is fine by me, I've still got all of the music that he gave to me/us. I plan on retiring, Jimmy should have that right too, he should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor without thinking he owes any one anything.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Jimmy Page is the kick ass rock and roller that ever appeared as a rock-n-roller. He is the man. But maybe the man just wants to retire? That's his choice, I hope that he ends up living until he's well past the 100 years mark, because he is Jimmy Page!

Edited by Daniel

Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something? ----------------------------------> Because he wants the best for his music, and the best is the west.

Page is not the one who deliberately chooses to stand on his laurels, retire and say that he is composing and producing new music, in the same time. Page wanted to go further with John Paul, Jason and Robert after the O2, alas it didn't work with Robert.

So, what options remains ?

Releasing intrumental music ? Going back with David ? Going back with the Crowes ? Recording an all star jam thing ? None of these choices equals the perspective of a brand new LZ record. As simple as that.

Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something? ----------------------------------> Because he wants the best for his music, and the best is the west.

Page is not the one who deliberately chooses to stand on his laurels, retire and say that he is composing and producing new music, in the same time. Page wanted to go further with John Paul, Jason and Robert after the O2, alas it didn't work with Robert.

So, what options remains ?

Releasing intrumental music ? Going back with David ? Going back with the Crowes ? Recording an all star jam thing ? None of these choices equals the perspective of a brand new LZ record. As simple as that.

There was never going to be a "brand new LZ record", they were going to go by a new name. And, if a new album from Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham would have materialized there's no guarantee that it would have lived up to their previous work as individual artists or as Led Zeppelin.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he can't play well anymore. He either is suffering from tendonitis and/or arthritis, that plus a lack of practice, he's just pretty much done.

I expect some more "vault" releases, but nothing else. His playing and creating days are done.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he can't play well anymore. He either is suffering from tendonitis and/or arthritis, that plus a lack of practice, he's just pretty much done.

I expect some more "vault" releases, but nothing else. His playing and creating days are done.

I would say many here would disagree with you; to say he can't play well enough to release any type of new music and to say he is not practicing is said without knowledge. Your whole statement is based on???

I'm a guitarist. All I have to do is look at him to know something is wrong. All I have to do is listen to know he is rusty. He himself says he picks up a guitar maybe every other day or so. Not the way to keep your chops up let me tell you.

There is something physiologically wrong with Jimmy's hands/wrists/fingers. They just don't move like they used to. It's a fact. He physically can not play like he used to. Clapton can, Beck can, Santana can, but Jimmy can't. Why? You tell me.

I thought he sounded good at the O2 show, not the best ever but he also hadn't played live in sometime plus there was a lot of pressure. The rehearsals, he sounded good for them also. With more consistent playing he would get even better, IMO. I thought he played better in '98 than '95, after more consistent playing time. So, I can't go with you on that call.

I would love to see him do more, but completely understand if he doesn't.

Just put out more unreleased Zeppelin material, at least! :)

I'm a guitarist. All I have to do is look at him to know something is wrong. All I have to do is listen to know he is rusty. He himself says he picks up a guitar maybe every other day or so. Not the way to keep your chops up let me tell you.

There is something physiologically wrong with Jimmy's hands/wrists/fingers. They just don't move like they used to. It's a fact. He physically can not play like he used to. Clapton can, Beck can, Santana can, but Jimmy can't. Why? You tell me.

He never was as dedicated or active as Clapton or Beck IMO, but also IMO there is nothing wrong with him. He played darn well his last concert, but that is going on 5 years now so are you basing your assessment on a single guest appearence or two?

There was never going to be a "brand new LZ record", they were going to go by a new name.

Come on, how do you think they would have called themselves ? BODEGA : Bunch Of Dinosaurs Erecting Generously in an Advanced Age ?

And, if a new album from Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham would have materialized there's no guarantee that it would have lived up to their previous work as individual artists or as Led Zeppelin.

Yes, we could never be sure. But if you take the best of what Page, Jones and Plant have produced in their solo outfits and mixed it together, it could be nothing less than spectacular. All is required is focus and vision.

According to Jason, there's at least a song on the last Black Country Communion studio record which originates from the aborted sessions held after the O2 reunion show : Save Me. Great song. The main riff is 100% Page, for sure.

Maybe Page should guest on the next BCC III if Robert doesn't want to be back with him. It could be awesome.

I'd really like to see Jimmy work with Jeff Martin, the singer of the Canadian Tea Party. It could perfectly gel together. They know each other via Roy Harper and the Tea Party had guested on a bunch of Page/Plant Canadian dates, I think.

Edited by seaweed gate

I'd love Jimmy to make an album of the songs that inspired him. Like that scene in It Might Get Loud, Jimmy getting into the groove of Link Wray's "Rumble". And stuff like "Let's Play House". As someone else said, he seems like he only has the fire to do stuff with Robert as far as touring. The man can do as he pleases, and I'm happy for what he has done. I also respect Robert for following his musical taste. How many members of bands of thier era reformed for the cash parade? And even Page/Plant kept ticket prices well below what they could have charged. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy doesn't ever make a new disc. And hanging onto hope he does, can be summed up by one of his songs........Wasting My Time.........

There was nothing wrong with his playing on the 98 tour, and he was in great form as a lead guitarist on the summer 2000 tour with the Crowes, I saw three of those shows. As for the O2, he didn't have the benefit of any warmup gigs, and I can't imagine a more pressure packed gig for him. And frankly he sounded great on the faster parts of GTBT, the outro of Black Dog, the 12 string picking of TSRTS, and others. He definitely played it safe on SIBLY. I also thought he sounded great on all three of his guest gigs last year, especially with Roy Harper.

Is he as dexterous as he was in 73? I'm sure he's not. To be fair, I don't think the other guitarists you mentioned were ever as "rubber fingered" as Jimmy in his prime. But he can still play. I think we're all looking for a logical reason he's NOT out there playing, and it's a head scratcher.

It's interesting to me that him finally cleaning up has coincided with this lack of activity. Makes me wonder if he feels he can't be creative without substances, or if touring would present too many temptations.

All I really want from Jimmy at this point is a DVD of Pontiac, or something (anything!) from '77 to be officially released. After all the big deal that was made about the DVD and HtWWW, I don't understand why he wouldn't think "hey, there's a lot of demand for LZ concert albums, I should put out some more!"

Why should Page put out "new" music? Should he put out new music to only have it incessently nitpicked on this forum just as his website constantly is? Every time Page does something musically since the end of Zeppelin the responses are typically "He doesn't play like he did from 69-72", "Instead of playing with so & so he should have done this instead with so & so", "It's okay but it's not Zeppelin", etc. Okay, for those who clamor for a new album & say anything is better than inactivity, what if he went back & did a full album with Puff Daddy, would you support it if that's the venue he felt he really wanted to pursue? I highly doubt it, you'd complain instead that it's not what you wanted even though you said anything is better than nothing. For a forum that's supposed to be dedicated to the appreciation of a long defunct band & it's former members choices, a good portion of you are a demanding whiney lot. In the last 10 years that long defunct band released a career spanning DVD, a triple live album, performed a heavily bootlegged one off concert, pursued their seperate careers with unexpected choices but with fantastic results... but still, that's not enough. How about this, let Page & the former members continue doing exactly what they're doing as they owe you nothing particularly as your own whims will never be satisfied no matter what they do.