Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

Since I was never really into hair metal Metal Mania was a major tune out factor for me but VH1 Classic does have some pretty good original programming. (or at least it did when I still had cable). I'd even watch That Metal Show since the topics and guests were broader than just hair metal.

Hate to hypothesize, but I conclude Page is out of ideas, and that's why he's doing nothing.

He painted himself into a corner many decades ago, when LZ was essentially doing covers, but crediting themselves on the album.

He could easily just dig up any of the vast archives of forgotten blues music, and make some wonderful versions again. How do you think the Stones and Clapton are still relavant? But he can't muster the simple words "Here's a song by"...

They're not.

I agree ... still popular and still relevant aren't always the same thing...

I haven't heard a new Stones song that I like in years ... or a new Clapton song that I've liked in 25 years..

But why doesn't Page do something? ... Jimmy Page is pushing 70, has more money than he could spend in 5 lifetimes and has created / produced some of the most important and influential rock music ever... He doesn't need to do anything.... Neither do The Stones or Eric Clapton for that matter.

I just don't like when Page talks up these amazing projects and they don't quite happen..

I'd rather he not say what he's working on .. than "bam" hit us between the eyes with it.

The Stones and Clapton still do shows, and some songs are excellent tributes to their predecessors. Sorry I didn't say "In my humble opinion", but I think they're still revelant to a majority of people that enjoy the history of blues/rock music. And they haven't lowered themselves to playing air guitar to pre-recorded music, that I've heard of yet.

There may be a personal reason why Jimmy is not recording or planning any gigs (so far as we are aware). I am not saying a personal consideration is the only reason, however back in February/March of this year, a schoolboy at a very expensive private school in Berkshlre put it on Twitter that he had been asked to show Jimmy round the school because Ashen was starting there in September 2012. Up until now, Ashen has been at school in Sussex while living with his mother. The new school (which I am not going to name, nor give a precise location) is about a 10 minute car journey from his father's country home. That suggests to me that the boy will be a day pupil, rather than boarder, and if so, would require Jimmy to be near to home, as he would be a single parent.

I am sure there are a multitude of reasons for JPP's inactivity and this may be one of them.

I think that Jimmy Page is done as far as new material goes, unreleased material, well I hope that's a different story. The reason I say that is because when he did the interview at that David Bowie thing last week, I sensed, for the first time that Jimmy was in self-defense mode. He seemed to be making excuses for what he's said what he's been up to, what would be happening and what he would be doing, it just wasn't the same Jimmy--I've never seen him in that type of defense mode, it was like I wish the interviewer would catch a sense and move on. I'm not saying this paragraph with disdain or any kind of hard feeling, His music has continued to make me happy for many years, if he wants to take it easy and be a retired gentleman, that is fine by me, I've still got all of the music that he gave to me/us. I plan on retiring, Jimmy should have that right too, he should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor without thinking he owes any one anything.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Jimmy Page is the kick ass rock and roller that ever appeared as a rock-n-roller. He is the man. But maybe the man just wants to retire? That's his choice, I hope that he ends up living until he's well past the 100 years mark, because he is Jimmy Page!

Yes he owes us nothing, at his age I would like just to chill make the odd guest appearance onstage and enjoy he fruits of the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something? ----------------------------------> Because he wants the best for his music, and the best is the west.

Page is not the one who deliberately chooses to stand on his laurels, retire and say that he is composing and producing new music, in the same time. Page wanted to go further with John Paul, Jason and Robert after the O2, alas it didn't work with Robert.

So, what options remains ?

Releasing intrumental music ? Going back with David ? Going back with the Crowes ? Recording an all star jam thing ? None of these choices equals the perspective of a brand new LZ record. As simple as that.

Your right mstork.

There are a lot of fences still to be mended between Jimmy & Robert.

Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something? ----------------------------------> Because he wants the best for his music, and the best is the west.

Page is not the one who deliberately chooses to stand on his laurels, retire and say that he is composing and producing new music, in the same time. Page wanted to go further with John Paul, Jason and Robert after the O2, alas it didn't work with Robert.

So, what options remains ?

Releasing intrumental music ? Going back with David ? Going back with the Crowes ? Recording an all star jam thing ? None of these choices equals the perspective of a brand new LZ record. As simple as that.

It is despressing, there are people he could work with in the studio and create magic, someone like The Tea Party would really be the perfect fit, he could tour with Leppard, he could record his own stuff, but maybe, as much it pains me to say, maybe the tank is empty, maybe he doesn't have it anymore? Or maybe he only wants to be with Robert and John Paul Jones? Who knows, it's sad that he is going out this way

It is despressing, there are people he could work with in the studio and create magic, someone like The Tea Party would really be the perfect fit, he could tour with Leppard, he could record his own stuff, but maybe, as much it pains me to say, maybe the tank is empty, maybe he doesn't have it anymore? Or maybe he only wants to be with Robert and John Paul Jones? Who knows, it's sad that he is going out this way

It's O.K... you're amongst those who can offer life guidance to alleviate your pain.

I just don't like when Page talks up these amazing projects and they don't quite happen..

I'd rather he not say what he's working on .. than "bam" hit us between the eyes with it.

Well he's not talking anything up right now is he?

So we don't need to go round expecting anything .... except "bam"!

• 2 weeks later...

The fire is gone, he accomplished what he wanted. The muse has left, he is content to do sit around and do nothing with the guitar. He just bums around with Ross Halfin all of the time travelling and eating. He shows up at some Def Leppard gigs backstage, or some David Coverdale gigs backstage and that is about it. Who knows maybe Jeff Martin can convince him to pick up the guitar again

I think the reason JP doesnt play live anymore is obvious...... Obvious from the performance at the reunion gig.... obvious from the latest vid of him playing kashmir on acoustic.....

His playing at the O² in 2007 was pretty good actually. Sure the solo in Stairway was short and sure there was a mistake or two but who cares if you get a free Tea For One 100% brilliant typical Jimmy Page balancing on the edge solo in SIBLY and an amazing TSRTS.

The only vid I know of him playing an acoustic Kashmir is from 1989 and pretty decent BTW.

I think the reason JP doesnt play live anymore is obvious...... Obvious from the performance at the reunion gig.... obvious from the latest vid of him playing kashmir on acoustic.....

Not obvious to me I guess. He played well, sometimes great, at O2. And he's flawless on the latest video of him playing Kashmir acoustically.

Hi Z-o-S-o,

There is a fairly recent video here, if you're interested:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18214-jimmy-page-donates-a-guitar-and-plays/

Oh thanks, missed that because I wasn't on here for a month. I would say he looks a bit frail and way to tanned but there's not really much to say about the guitar playing is there? It's a simple piece and he effortlessy plays it without doing anything special I would say.

Next time someone sees him, ask him politely in a friendly way “Do you plan to awaken from your slumber, or is the tank empty?”

He hasn't released a new album in 14 years so it'd be like asking a girl you haven't heard from since '98 if it's "really over" ?

Of course it is!

He hasn't released a new album in 14 years so it'd be like asking a girl you haven't heard from since '98 if it's "really over" ?

Of course it is!

Unless you are blessed with a gift of prophecy, of course you cannot say it is.

Edited by seaweed gate