Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

Hi all,

Well,....it's not nitpicking when errors pop up on his website.Well you know it can't be back checked,right?

Didn't jimmy himself state that he was planning to do new music?Well?

KB(call me Jimbo,we'll do lunch)

It might be annoying when facts are mis-stated, I really believe that comes from dictation mistakes. (the last, 9 vs 5 Earl Court run is an example).

But the recent vitriol that has been directed at Mr. Page here on the "official Led Zeppelin" site is just plain hateful and completely worlds away from the spirit of LZ! Where is the respect?

He did say he would release music, AND he did release DW II and LR! He also released the artistic photographic prints which seems to have stuck in some people's craw!

These are worthy endeavors, they may not be what you want, but he is still creating, still busy and when he does appear somewhere playing with friends, he sounds fantastic!

I choose to wait patiently and see what is next from Mr. Page!

Edited by Bayougal65

>It might be annoying when facts are mis-stated, I really believe that comes from a dictation mistakes. (the last, 9 vs 5 Earl Court run is an example).<

No,that is from someone not checking.

>But the recent vitriiol that has been directed at Mr. Page here on the "official Led Zeppelin" site is just plain hateful and completely worlds away from the spirit of LZ!

He did say he would release music, <

Try again.

I don't view the re-release of DWII or LR as "new" music. In the case of DWII, it's merely remastered. In the case of LR, it's a release of an unfinished work.

I love Pagey as much as the next guy, but when he promises new music or says he can't wait to perform live again, and then he gives us (overpriced) LR, then as an artist, he is open to his fans reactions. The reactions may seem cruel. Some take things more seriously than others.

I do agree with the poster that said when he has been appearing live, he has sounded excellent. It makes it all the more frustrating that he does nothing...

>It might be annoying when facts are mis-stated, I really believe that comes from a dictation mistakes. (the last, 9 vs 5 Earl Court run is an example).<

No,that is from someone not checking.

>But the recent vitriiol that has been directed at Mr. Page here on the "official Led Zeppelin" site is just plain hateful and completely worlds away from the spirit of LZ!

He did say he would release music, <

Try again.

Try what exactly?

To figure out how some people can be so critical toward a person who owes them nothing, yet in a lifetime has given all of us so much amazing music to enjoy?

Pou yaille!

I am done.

I don't view the re-release of DWII or LR as "new" music. In the case of DWII, it's merely remastered. In the case of LR, it's a release of an unfinished work.

I love Pagey as much as the next guy, but when he promises new music or says he can't wait to perform live again, and then he gives us (overpriced) LR, then as an artist, he is open to his fans reactions. The reactions may seem cruel. Some take things more seriously than others.

I do agree with the poster that said when he has been appearing live, he has sounded excellent. It makes it all the more frustrating that he does nothing...

I honestly have a gut feeling (have had for some time now) that something is brewing with him that's gonna be as earthshattering as the 2003 DVD release/HTWWW . It's no secret, he's the caretaker/overseer of Zeppelin archives (as much as he can be). Zeppelin's his baby....

Being a man of his age, I'd guess he's got few more "pressing" tricks up his sleeve, be it new music or some Zeppelin surprises, I don't think the mans done just yet...be patient-it's coming.

Just my intuition......

Edited by Rock Historian

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he can't play well anymore. He either is suffering from tendonitis and/or arthritis, that plus a lack of practice, he's just pretty much done.

I expect some more "vault" releases, but nothing else. His playing and creating days are done.

I agree 100%. Even though he is retired, he can always bother himself by releasing the vault stuff. And in the "vault stuff", I don't mean those minor solo albums.

Why? Because he doesn't have to. I know this flies in the face of some of my previous impertinent posts on the subject of Jimmy's "inactivity", but sometimes I'm in an impish mood when I come here.

Truth be told, Jimmy will DO something when he's damn well READY to do something...whatever that something is. He doesn't "owe" anybody a thing.

After hundreds and hundreds of sessions in the 60s, a stint with the Yardbirds, domination of the 70s piloting Led Zeppelin, th ARMS tour, The Firm, Page & Plant records and tours, the Black Crowes, remastering the Zeppelin catologue and rescueing and compiling the live DVD and HTWWW(I don't think some of you realize how deteriorated those tapes were and the painstaking work involved in rehabilitating them), and the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun concert, not to mention the one-off guest appearances over the years, James Patrick Page has given the world mote than enough music to enjoy over his lifetime.

Jimmy and Led Zeppelin were never one to do something...release an album, tour...by rote. They did it on their terms and with passion and conviction...or not at all. I expect Jimmy still feels this way. If we get some new music from him, great. If not, that's ok too. I would only want Jimmy to put something out because be believes in it, not because he feels obligated or that he "owes" it to us.

I've received a lifetime of pleasure and memories thanks to Jimmy's magical fingers...he doesn't "owe" me a thing.

James Patrick Page has never taken a chance. His entire career has been carefully thought out and wisely constructed to benefit himself first, then others. There is nothing wrong with that. That is called good business. That is not debatable for him, it might be debatable for the fans.

Poppycock. Jimmy took risks right from the beginning of Led Zeppelin. He used his own money to book studio time and recorded the entire first album BEFORE they had even been signed by anyone!!!

Name another band that had the chutzpah to do that?

Not to mention other risks Zeppelin pioneered: going on the road with no opening acts, putting out albums without the band name or title on the album, ignoring the AM radio/ single market, and many more.

Hi Strider,all,

>Why? Because he doesn't have to. I know this flies in the face of some of my previous impertinent posts on the subject of Jimmy's "inactivity", but sometimes I'm in an impish mood when I come here.<

"Impish?" :D Never mind,...

Yes,I believe your right,Jimmy does NOT owe us anything.It would be nice to hear new music from the man,that's all.

Truth be told, Jimmy will DO something when he's damn well READY to do something...whatever that something is. He doesn't "owe" anybody a thing.

>After hundreds and hundreds of sessions in the 60s, a stint with the Yardbirds, domination of the 70s piloting Led Zeppelin, th ARMS tour, The Firm, Page & Plant records and tours, the Black Crowes, remastering the Zeppelin catologue and rescueing and compiling the live DVD and HTWWW(I don't think some of you realize how deteriorated those tapes were and the painstaking work involved in rehabilitating them), and the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun concert, not to mention the one-off guest appearances over the years, James Patrick Page has given the world more than enough music to enjoy over his lifetime.<

I agree!!!!!!! :wizard: From the box set(s),BBC CD, to the DVD & HTWWW,must have been long days and nights,....

>Jimmy and Led Zeppelin were never one to do something...release an album, tour...by rote. They did it on their terms and with passion and conviction...or not at all. I expect Jimmy still feels this way. If we get some new music from him, great. If not, that's ok too. I would only want Jimmy to put something out because be believes in it, not because he feels obligated or that he "owes" it to us.,

THAT was the beauty of it all.Zep and Peter did it their own way,that is what made it special,IMVHO.

>Poppycock. Jimmy took risks right from the beginning of Led Zeppelin. He used his own money to book studio time and recorded the entire first album BEFORE they had even been signed by anyone!!!Name another band that had the chutzpah to do that?<

:notworthy:

>Not to mention other risks Zeppelin pioneered: going on the road with no opening acts, putting out albums without the band name or title on the album, ignoring the AM radio/ single market, and many more.<

Thanks Bro for getting my riled up! :D

KB

It would be irrational for anyone to think he "owes" somebody new music. This has never been an issue for me, I just say he ought to stay true to his words; I expect this out of myself and anyone else. No big deal...I have no predjudgments or expectations of his abilities to release new music or tour. I doubt I'd have the opportunity to see him perform because concert tickets aren't getting any cheaper and Page would surely (if going the "big" route) be quite the fee. And, I would say I was and am disappointed by his website launch. The countdown IMHO was ridiculous. What a let down. I don't even bother with OTD anymore. But Oh Well!! :popcorn2:

Edited by betteremily

I don't really understand what you all expect of him? Do you want him to go back to the 60s like Robert did. I for one don't. I saw Robert in Liverpool with the Band of Joy. My wife enjoyed it more than I did, it was in a pokey little theatre (Liverpool Olympia), I was expecting some of his solo classics "Slow Dancer" and stuff like that,, in fact for the money it cost, I thought I was ripped off, and to be honest I was really disappointed. I hope they don't reform as he will probably only do songs of his choosing.They will charge the Earth then go back to their mansions, until the money gets a bit low. Then they will probably release the o2 concert on DVD. Now don't get me wrong I am an ardent fan of all of them, but unfortunately the feeling isn't reciprocated. Which really is a shame for us all, as they really don't realise the vastness of the worldwide following that they have. I remember an interview with Bonzo where he was slagging off Britain saying that nobody over here cared about them, That was the fucking Media,NOT, THEIR FANS IN THE U.K. Sorry if you disagree with this but this is how I feel !!!!!!

I hope they don't reform as he will probably only do songs of his choosing.They will charge the Earth then go back to their mansions, until the money gets a bit low. Then they will probably release the o2 concert on DVD.

You could not be more wrong.

No agenda here then :rolleyes:

No. I don't, and never said I did. But if they ever reformed, Robert would NOT have the say over the entire set-list - there are reasons why they still have band meetings, because they are ALL responsible for their legacy. How on earth you figure that would change if they were to reform is beyond good reason.

And if it was about taking our money then the incredible amounts they have been offered over the years to reform would NOT have been ignored as they have been. So, you could not be more wrong.

Plant went "back to the 60's"? Perhaps you don't realize it but several of the songs from the Band of Joy record come from current artists such as Low ("Silver Rider", "Monkey"), Los Lobos ("Angel Dance") and Richard Thompson ("House of Cards").

Maybe Jimmy Page just wants to stop and smell the roses. He's given a lot over his lifetime and geez if we get something more, great. If not, thank-you Jimmy Page for the memories and the music that lives on forever.

As a high profile musician he should just say I'm retired instead of promising new music and urge to perform live. I think that is what frustrates fans the most.

I can't see what motivation he would have to tour at 68 years old. It is not as if he needs the money. The thought of being away from home and living out of a suitcase for a year or so probably wouldn't appeal.

Why wouldn't he be motivated to tour? He wouldn't be the first nor the last 68 year old to tour. What does money have to do with it? What happened to enjoying what you do? And he's not married anymore..probably doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility where his kids are concerned..I'm just guessing that last one because that's how "famous" people generally are.

Let's face it he probably is fed up of all the, will they?-- wont they?. Let's just leave him in peace to do whatevr he wants to do.

Who cares if he's fed up? And who cares if he tours or doesn't. Honestly, this whole thing has been a complete turn off. Unfortunately, I couldn't care less.

And if he actually "is" fed up, here's what I'd say to him.

Jimmy, you can have your "peace", so long as you give "peace" to your fans by telling them the truth. Whether you know it or not, there's a good probability that there are fans who work their lives away at some meaningless job and check your website everday to see if jimmypage.com has made their dream come true..."JIMMY PAGE RELEASES NEW ALBUM". And each day that passes by they wait ever so patiently for that email which would brighten their dull and empty lives. An email which may or may not ever come. Darling, you must remember most people have very little..and you've got far less troubles and you don't need to struggle to survive..And..I think some people are so emotionally attatched to your music they hang on your every word and take it to heart...Which is an unfortunate thing to do..but that's just the way those things go. How 'bout giving them a dose of honesty? "Hey, you know what guys? I really apologize, things are just not working at the speed I wanted or expected them to". And if they rejected you for your honesty, then who gives a fuck?

Edited by betteremily

It seems to me that in Jimmy's mind, there's no hidden or malicious intention to lie or manipulate people by declaring he's on the way to release new music.

Why ?

Because if it was only up to him (or John Paul and Jason actually) the album would have been there for a long time now. People are turning all their anger and frustration over Jimmy which is not fair because he is NOT the one who has missed the opportunity in the first place. It seems pretty clear that after the O2 show, Jimmy had in mind a tour and new music along the way. The only missing but crucial piece being that he failed to convince Robert to follow the path.

In an interview published by Uncut Magazine in May 2008, Plant says : "And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason. Our profit is - it's metaphysical. And that's the thing, especially with my connection with Jimmy. I mean, the two of us are almost umbilically attached in some strange way and have been down the years. And that's survived everything. From the time I was 19 to now, when I'm 59."

I think it's based on the strength of such declarations that Jimmy is patiently waiting for Robert to rise once again. Don't despair.

In France we have an expression for that kind of situation where the only thing you could do is hope and wait in confidence : "Tout vient à point pour qui sait attendre."

Even if I don't know the words, I'm pretty sure there's an English equivalent. Yes I've found the translation : All things come to those who wait.

Edited by seaweed gate

Why wouldn't he be motivated to tour? He wouldn't be the first nor the last 68 year old to tour. What does money have to do with it? What happened to enjoying what you do? And he's not married anymore..probably doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility where his kids are concerned..I'm just guessing that last one because that's how "famous" people generally are.

Who cares if he's fed up? And who cares if he tours or doesn't. Honestly, this whole thing has been a complete turn off. Unfortunately, I couldn't care less.

And if he actually "is" fed up, here's what I'd say to him.

Jimmy, you can have your "peace", so long as you give "peace" to your fans by telling them the truth. Whether you know it or not, there's a good probability that there are fans who work their lives away at some meaningless job and check your website everday to see if jimmypage.com has made their dream come true..."JIMMY PAGE RELEASES NEW ALBUM". And each day that passes by they wait ever so patiently for that email which would brighten their dull and empty lives. An email which may or may not ever come. Darling, you must remember most people have very little..and you've got far less troubles and you don't need to struggle to survive..And..I think some people are so emotionally attatched to your music they hang on your every word and take it to heart...Which is an unfortunate thing to do..but that's just the way those things go. How 'bout giving them a dose of honesty? "Hey, you know what guys? I really apologize, things are just not working at the speed I wanted or expected them to". And if they rejected you for your honesty, then who gives a fuck?

Jimmy Page is in no way responsible for brightening up your life. He does not owe you an explanation on or about anything he chooses to do. He's an artist & business man who puts out his creations to the public when he desires & it's the publics choice to purchase those creations or not. He's also a human being who has a private life & most certainly he owes no explanations to anyone other than his family about how he chooses to spend it. He owes neither honesty or apologies to you or anyone on this board including myself. If you expend your energy waiting for the results of what I stated previously to change then that's your choice & Jimmy Page has nothing to do with that decision of yours & I'm sure Jimmy Page will continue go about his day as he see's fit as usual.