Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

Maybe Mr. Page is fully retired. Who knows. If he has arthritis and low energy, it would be hard to do guitar. He will be 70 soon. Beck is close to that age but Jeff Beck seems 40 --- full of energy and new techniques, plus a teenager's body. The other rock stars of that age group must marvel at Jeff Beck, who has high energy and stamina like a 20 year old. I don't think Beck ever got into drugs or parties very much though and was rewarded with good health. He seems fairly "straight" as far as the "hard living rock world culture" goes and because of his good health, is still very much relevant and innovative He said he practices every day. I could see Jimmy Page going into film work as actor. He is still very charismatic and handsome for an older man, looks like one of those Hollywood studio execs, and would be very good in some roles. I could have imagined him in the Snape role of Harry Potter or as the lead in Les Miserables.

I've read comments about Page's alleged hand problems at several different rock fan or guitarist web sites. Some posters claim he's suffered from tendonitis for years. Another poster claimed he has severe rheumatoid arthritis in his fretting hand. Yet another poster claimed he has the same hand problem that plagues Adrian Vanderberg (formerly of Whitesnake) without stating what the problem is. Who knows if any of it is true?

As for acting, being a rock star doesn't qualify anyone to be an actor. Page is photogenic and knows how to strike a pose, but that is a far cry from developing and portraying a character on film. Film roles for older actors are hard to come by and he would have to compete with established actors for them. I don't see this happening beyond a rare cameo appearance.

Edited by Disco Duck

I guess I'll just never understand those that want so badly for Jimmy to release a new album. The guy gave us Led-Zeppelin... that alone should be enough, but then he did Death Wish II, the A.R.M.S. tour, The Firm, Outrider, an amazing album with David Coverdale, Page/Plant Unledded, Walking Into Clarksdale and Live At The Greek with The Black Crowes and then, to top it off, the 2007 reunion gig with Zep.

Hasn't he done enough? I realize that many here are too young and never had the chance to see Zep or The Firm or maybe even Page/Plant... but the man has done SO MUCH... can't you just enjoy his massive catalog of music??? It must be frustrating to do all he's done and still have people hounding him to do more...

Edited by Dr Death

Jimmy had a vision for Zeppelin from the start, its his creation with the tremendous help of the other three, but I don't blame him of doing more Zeppelin stuff like the project. He enjoys what he did in Zeppelin I'm sure he knows he can't top that by doing a solo album, which still would be awesome. Maybe he just likes semi-retirement and maybe once in awhile churn out some riffs and work on Zeppelin related projects. He probably goes and see's whats what in the music scene, he's been to Metallica concerts and Queens of the Stone Age concerts, so he has interests in that too. He's Jimmy Page man, the man has earned his "retirement". Hahaha.

Edited by ZeppMan93

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll just never understand those that want so badly for Jimmy to release a new album. The guy gave us Led-Zeppelin... that alone should be enough, but then he did Death Wish II, the A.R.M.S. tour, The Firm, Outrider, an amazing album with David Coverdale, Page/Plant Unledded, Walking Into Clarksdale and Live At The Greek with The Black Crowes and then, to top it off, the 2007 reunion gig with Zep.

Hasn't he done enough? I realize that many here are too young and never had the chance to see Zep or The Firm or maybe even Page/Plant... but the man has done SO MUCH... can't you just enjoy his massive catalog of music??? It must be frustrating to do all he's done and still have people hounding him to do more...

As the OP, I feel compelled to explain my original question. Plant has done amazing things with his solo career, Allison Kraus, SSS, Band of Joy, etc. Jones made some really unique and amazing solo albums, produced albums for various artists, did arrangements for artists, TCV, and now the Dave Rawlings Machine (just jaw dropping stuff).

Page would appear to be every bit as talented as his former bandmates, but his output has been ... Well... massively underwhleming. Does the world really need the fourteenth remastering of the Zep catalog?

So with all that talent, DO SOMETHING. ***ANYTHING*** for Christ's sake. And if you're done, stop blabbing about how you can't wait to play live, and you have new music. Cause let's face it. At this pace, in 2017 you will release the new remastered catalog of Zep, including never before heard digestive noises from the 1973 tour. And yeah, you know it, it will selling massive numbers sadly enough.

Edited by in_the_evening

And if you're done, stop blabbing about how you can't wait to play live, and you have new music.

Actually, 2013 was the year in which he did "stop blabbing" about new solo music and performing live. Obviously, whenever faced with a choice he always prefers to focus on Led Zeppelin projects, and he is doing so again.

Page has left a great legacy and maybe just doesn't feel a desire to be out there at 70 , especially on a solo tour...I think Robert is still very creative but as he gets on in years will take a well deserved rest. One definitive remastering with extras is a worthwhile project. Jimmy is meticulous and precise in the studio and is maybe putting serious time in these to make them the definitive remasters. As someone who still buys cd's ...if it's done right I am looking forward to them although we are on "Zeppelin" time so would not be surprised if it was latter half of 2014. As for the band getting together ...better to leave it in 07 in a really good place then churn a greatest hits arena tour without Bonzo being there. (Yes, I think Jason is great but continuing on with him may not be best...we have NO idea how the band may or may not still grieve) I have a feeling Robert may associate Zep to some degree with a lot of loss. Money can't buy his seven year old son or best friend back. On some level I think Jimmy respects that even if he felt differently as recent as a year ago about touring with the band.

Edited by ksgemini

Frankly, at the age of 70, I suspect that Jimmy has done an inventory of his life and realized that statistics would suggest that he will not be here in 10 years. That has to be a daunting thought, and it would tend to force one to make responsible decisions about how one is going to live his remaining years. I believe that Page would go "all in" for a Zeppelin reunion, but anything short of that would probably not hold much interest. The other thing is that I am sure he still holds out hope for a future Zeppelin project. If he gets buried in a new solo album and tour, any form of Zeppelin project will never materialize. Like Black Sabbath, if these guys are going to do anything as a group again, the time must be soon, and Page knows that.

He loves his social life, and record collecting, and I suspect that he is at a point where he is simply doing what he wants, and carefully planning how he invests his time in his declining years. Stats alone would suggest that his days are relatively few, and I doubt the thought of a solo album and tour are a priority for him. He is dabbling, and working on his legacy, while truly enjoying his semi retirement.... something we will all aspire to when we are 70.

Edited by The Dark Lord

He may of course have been thinking in these terms about his work.

But as for statistics, genetic factors play a strong part in life expectancy, and I believe his mother is still alive at the age of around 90 .

Plus, he's tested his physical health to the limit over the years, and has obviously come through it with a lot of strength and energy left over.

I hope he has many contented years ahead ( or ambitious ones, if he so chooses!) .

He may of course have been thinking in these terms about his work.

But as for statistics, genetic factors play a strong part in life expectancy, and I believe his mother is still alive at the age of around 90 .

Plus, he's tested his physical health to the limit over the years, and has obviously come through it with a lot of strength and energy left over.

I hope he has many contented years ahead ( or ambitious ones, if he so chooses!) .

As do I!! But statistics would also suggest that he won't be recording solo albums, or touring when he is 90......or 80......or possibly not even 75, even if he lives to a ripe old age. Age and ability are two components of a big equation. Anybody who banks on living to 90 is foolish, and I wise man would live each day as though it is his last. I ain't a spring chicken, and I may live to 100, but I sure plan my life as though I will be living something far short of that. I'm sure he does too.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I agree with the posters who came after my little tirade (sorry about that, lol)!

I think he's not doing anything other than Zep related stuff because

a) he would only do something else with Plant

b he is afraid to have another "marginal success" like Outrider or Coverdale/Page

c) anything he did couldn't compare to Zep (which Plant and Jones seem to take in stride and say "who cares")

I think he can still play, I would love ot have a duet CD, him and other guitar masters on different tracks. Maybe even an interpreted album of the "masters" like Clapton did.

But at this point, all we'll keep getting is recycled Zep, which is too bad. As Plant and Jonesy have pointed out, aged though you may be, you can still offer a lot!

And yeah as for living to be 90, look at Keith Richards. How that man continues to live is a testament to the old adage "whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger".

Edited by in_the_evening

And yeah as for living to be 90, look at Keith Richards. How that man continues to live is a testament to the old adage "whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger".

Keith Richards is obvously an exception. One in millions, possibly billions, turns out to be a Keith Richard. Besides, he's only 43 years old. He just looks old and ugly. :bubble:

Edited by The Dark Lord

But statistics would also suggest that he won't be recording solo albums, or touring when he is 90......or 80......or possibly not even 75

Statistics and his nearly 25 year hiatus from solo pursuits. I knew he was done based upon his sparse "musical content" in It Might Get Loud, and even that was five long years ago. Jimmy Page to be touring and recording at 75 and beyond? Ridiculous.

Statistics and his nearly 25 year hiatus from solo pursuits. I knew he was done based upon his sparse "musical content" in It Might Get Loud, and even that was five long years ago. Jimmy Page to be touring and recording at 75 and beyond? Ridiculous.

Sparse musical content? I've only seen clips from It Might Get Loud, not the entire film. Are you saying that Page didn't do much guitar playing in that documentary?

P.S. Do we know for certain that Page's mother is still alive and kicking?

Edited by Disco Duck

As the OP, I feel compelled to explain my original question. Plant has done amazing things with his solo career, Allison Kraus, SSS, Band of Joy, etc. Jones made some really unique and amazing solo albums, produced albums for various artists, did arrangements for artists, TCV, and now the Dave Rawlings Machine (just jaw dropping stuff).

Page would appear to be every bit as talented as his former bandmates, but his output has been ... Well... massively underwhleming. Does the world really need the fourteenth remastering of the Zep catalog?

So with all that talent, DO SOMETHING. ***ANYTHING*** for Christ's sake. And if you're done, stop blabbing about how you can't wait to play live, and you have new music. Cause let's face it. At this pace, in 2017 you will release the new remastered catalog of Zep, including never before heard digestive noises from the 1973 tour. And yeah, you know it, it will selling massive numbers sadly enough.

I suppose there are different ways for rock musicians to retire. John Deacon (Queen bass player) threw in the towel back in the late 1990's and hasn't been seen or heard from since. To the best of my knowledge he doesn't attend music industry events; not even those promoting Queen. He didn't attend Queen's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I suppose there are different ways for rock musicians to retire. John Deacon (Queen bass player) threw in the towel back in the late 1990's and hasn't been seen or heard from since. To the best of my knowledge he doesn't attend music industry events; not even those promoting Queen. He didn't attend Queen's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I admire his stance. Seems very respectful of the band's legacy. There was a quote of his when Robbie sang with the others something like 'you can't replace someone like Freddie Mercury - and certainly not with HIM!'

Sparse musical content? I've only seen clips from It Might Get Loud, not the entire film. Are you saying that Page didn't do much guitar playing in that documentary?

P.S. Do we know for certain that Page's mother is still alive and kicking?

If you don't have the DVD of IMGL, pick it up and check out the acoustic song in the extras. Sounds pretty fully formed to me, and really good. Has that Page exotic and dramatic sound IMO.

• 7 years later...

Why cant he make an INSTRUMENTAL record??That would sell millions in NORTH AMERICA and the rest....but he REALLY need to stop dangling empty promises. It's uncool. And he's still cool to me. At this point he's 77 so recordings are good enough for me or even a special concert televised instead of body bashing tours...even if they do take 2 nights off. These dudes are old guys now. They ALL look way better than they deserve and the ones who work still play better than ever. 

On 7/17/2012 at 8:37 PM, Acquamarina said:

Hey! do you see his website everyday? Is fantastic! this is so much more than "something" as you say

You know what they say about "remember when" stories..being the lowest form of conversation. Well Page could put out 10 albums by now ALL instrumental ALL awesome. They would not only SELL but showcase what he truly is. (Alot like Townshend & John Paul Jones) a multi-instrumentalist but no singing, i would cherish that kind of album. Hes a master of production in the studio. That's what i HOPE hes doing. Late reply sorry!