Was Mondays Show better Than Others?

Was Mondays Show better Than Others? Was it better than Led Zeppelins shows in the seventies? Was it better than some of their newer shows? In my oppinion, i think the new technology and stuff really helped to improve the quality of their music. And they had the best setlist ever is what I heard. I love In My Time of Dying. Its awesome.

I only have boots to go by (wasn't alive in the 70's, haven't seen any of the members solo, wasn't at the 02 show) but it was better than some. I don't think it could possibly be as good as the early days, but it was definetely better than a LOT of shows from around '77 or '80.

Based on the four songs I have seen I would give the short answer of NO. But that is a given because they only played once. If they did more shows and Jimmy had all of his fingers working it would be better. The lead in Stairway was not even close to some of the old versions. I know that those of you who were there and were caught in the moment, and I dont blame you and Im excited for you, dont want to hear this. But lets be realistic about it. You cant expect the first concert they did together to be perfect. I hope they play this summer and if they do it will blow away this concert if Jimmy is healed and they have a few acts under their belt. Of course it was short compared to the old days too.

I can only hope that we have the opportunity to compare. ;)

IMHO no it was not better than ANY Zep show ever, in the past, except, for the one in 1980 when Bonham passed out...or the Chicago show when Jimmy passed out, honestly it was not IN MY OPINION "better" than say even..SEATTLE 77, for the biggest, simplest and most important reason: JOHN HENRY BONHAM. Jason is good VERY good, but HE is along with 99% of all the rock drummers on this planet not as "good" as his beloved late father. And even in 77, Plants voice was stronger and HIGHER and had more attitude than he does now. And Page even all heroined out was just chronologically closer to his prime.

Look I know Im gonna get killed over this, BUT, there were a lot of missed cues,missed vocals and a couple "trainwrecks" as well, I don't care what anyone says I have heard the whole show, and GRANTED I WAS NOT THERE, but I do have ears and my own opinion. I think the show exceeded everyones expectations because all previous reunion SUCKED HORRIBLY. THIS WAS GOOD VERY GOOD, but again IMHO, NOT as good as ANY complete

Zeppelin show (that I have ever heard) and nowhere near one their greatest performances from the 60s-70s etc. Lets be real. And to me AGE IS NO EXCUSE. PLENTY of JAZZ,Classical, R&B and Blues musicians RETAINED 90% of their skills vocally or/or musically into their 70's. Case in Point: Ray Charles/Tony Bennett/Buddy Guy/Chet Atkins/

Jimmy Smith to name a few.

IMHO no it was not better than ANY Zep show ever, in the past, except, for the one in 1980 when Bonham passed out...or the Chicago show when Jimmy passed out, honestly it was not IN MY OPINION "better" than say even..SEATTLE 77, for the biggest, simplest and most important reason: JOHN HENRY BONHAM. Jason is good VERY good, but HE is along with 99% of all the rock drummers on this planet not as "good" as his beloved late father. And even in 77, Plants voice was stronger and HIGHER and had more attitude than he does now. And Page even all heroined out was just chronologically closer to his prime.

Look I know Im gonna get killed over this, BUT, there were a lot of missed cues,missed vocals and a couple "trainwrecks" as well, I don't care what anyone says I have heard the whole show, and GRANTED I WAS NOT THERE, but I do have ears and my own opinion. I think the show exceeded everyones expectations because all previous reunion SUCKED HORRIBLY. THIS WAS GOOD VERY GOOD, but again IMHO, NOT as good as ANY complete

Zeppelin show (that I have ever heard) and nowhere near one their greatest performances from the 60s-70s etc. Lets be real. And to me AGE IS NO EXCUSE. PLENTY of JAZZ,Classical, R&B and Blues musicians RETAINED 90% of their skills vocally or/or musically into their 70's. Case in Point: Ray Charles/Tony Bennett/Buddy Guy/Chet Atkins/

Jimmy Smith to name a few.

I disagree. The O2 reunion was a lot better than some of the old Zep shows. I have listened to the whole thing, and not through the YouTube videos. Every show has its mistakes, as well as its high points (except maybe Tempe '77 - that was a trainwreck). Kashmir alone rocked way harder than it did on many nights in the 70's. I have at least 400 Zep boots, so I have enough of a sample to compare to 12/10/07. It isn't fair to Jason to compare him to his father. We all know his dad was the best, but I would rather have Jason with any lack of perceived skill on that set than any of today's "best" drummers. He was very prepared and it showed.

As far as Plant's voice, he sounded good to me. Yes, it's not 1977, but what is? Besides, in 1977 people were saying the same thing comparing his voice to 1969-1972 tours. You sing Immigrant Song a few hundred times and see what it does to your voice. :)

Part of the greatness of Zeppelin to me is the fact that no two shows sounded the same. They went off on tangents, they changed things up, they weren't AC/DC out there playing studio versions of all their songs. So, in my mind part of the greatness of the other night was the continued evolution of their sound.

P.S. One more thing about Bonzo, he had some bad shows other than Nuremburg in 1980. Try listening to 6/19/77 San Diego, or even 11/5/69 in KC. You may appreciate Jason's playing a little more.

I think it was better than most of the shows after 75. I can't think of a boot from 77 near as good. Maybe one of the California boots comes close but I wouldn't put them at that level. Knebworth and maybe a couple in 80 would be better.

This was a good bootleg. Kashmir, IMTOD, SIBLY, Stairway are all done as well as they ever did. FYL was amazing.

There's a lot more early shows that were a lot better. Even on their off nights they were better than this. But with the material this will go down as one of the best Zepp boots ever. Some people like 77 more based on the material they had and they were better than most live bands even in 77. But has material that spans everything but their last 2. And they fit the talents of the guys now.

They aren't going to be as talented as they were when they were in their early to mid 20s. Who is. But they were amazing Monday night and if they go on tour they are automatically the best live band out there. That's not bad for being 40 years after they formed and one of them was just a toddler at the time.

fair enough, I dont have those bad shows you mentioned, as I said... basing my opinion on what I have heard..not close to your 400!

By the way, if you want to hear some great Bonzo drumming get a version of Hamburg 1973, especially the SBD segments. He knocks the shit out of the drums in Dazed and Confused. Definitely my favorite version of that song. And, of course the famous 6/21/77 LA Forum show. 8/4/79 Knebworth also has some great Bonzo highlights. He goes apeshit at the end of Black Dog (probably to offset Page's solo - his worst of the night). There are many more (As Long As I Have You 4/24/69), but those come to mind first.

Having been there my view is in many ways it was better than 80, 79, 77...so I think better than at least a lot of stuff since 75. I take the point above about being caught in the moment but I guess that IS part of it, you can only go on the experience you have. I just think it's incredible to be having this debate, before I went to see them I though they would be ok with some train wrecks but they were simply awesome.

In recent interviews, JPJ thinks they are playing better (in rehearsals) than even before Knebworth. I don't know if that was pre or post broken finger. I'd take his word for it, although the format of the O2 show really put a crimp on what they could do. It was almost like they were playing to a stopwatch. And knowing they weren't going to get a 2nd chance, they were playing very cautiously. It was not conducive to the kind of freeform experimentation of the old days. I think they did the best they could but we'll all have to speculate what they are still capable of without such constraints.

Archived