Boleskine House in top 100 haunted places in the world

From a website naming the 100 most haunted places in the world.

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/100mostghostlytplace.htm

Boleskine House

Boleskine-House.jpg

Some say Boleskines Lodge Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley, (12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947; was a British occultist, writer and mystic's former home and Jimmy Pages from Led Zeppellin is very haunted by ghosts demons, angles and Crowley himself. Boleskine House was the estate of Aleister Crowley from 1899 to 1913. It is located on the South-Eastern shore of Loch Ness in Scotland. It was built in the late 18th century by Archibald Fraser.

Aleister_Crowley.jpg

Crowley eventually sold the manor in order to fund the publication of The Equinox, Vol. III. However, he later alleged that the funds were stolen by the Grand Treasurer General of the Order, George MacNie Cowie. (The extensive mortgaging of the house by that time may in fact have left little funds to steal.)

From the early 1970s to well into the 1980s, Boleskine was owned by famed Led Zeppelin guitarist and Aleister Crowley enthusiast, Jimmy Page. Sections of Page's fantasy sequence in the Led Zeppelin concert film, The Song Remains the Same were filmed at night on the mountain side directly behind Boleskine House.

Boleskines Lodge Cemetery facing North, with view of Loch Ness is said to harbour man a restless soul.

I've been to Boleskine House and the cemetary a couple of times (photos posted in the photo forum). It's well worth seeing. If I go again I hope to have an opportunity to climb the "mountain" overlooking the lodge (and site of Jimmy's TSRTS fantasy sequence).

I've been to Boleskine House and the cemetary a couple of times (photos posted in the photo forum). It's well worth seeing. If I go again I hope to have an opportunity to climb the "mountain" overlooking the lodge (and site of Jimmy's TSRTS fantasy sequence).

Bring your "Hermit" suit

That would be cool! It's a beautiful area, I'd love to go back. What was that little cemetery called - "Boleskine Burying Ground" or something like that.

• 7 months later...

In June 2010 I purchased 2 acres of ancient woodland, on the shores of Loch Ness, just below Boleskine Burial Ground. Although the Strutt & Parker property details listed it as the most haunted property currently on the market, I didn't give it another thought, I didn't know at the time about Crowley, and I wasn't aware that it was once part of Jimmy's estate.

However I can say that 2 and a half years later, and after visiting nearly every 2 months, this place is truly magical - and I don't say that lightly. There is a peace and stillness in the woods that is almost uncanny. Life in the highlands is not for everyone, and I am sure that Jimmy had his reasons for selling his estate, but I hope I never have to.

been to Inverness to play golf, took vacation time on Loch Ness. The woods are magical. It's almost enough to start believing in the little people. Many, many nice lodges and accommodations all along the shores. Didn't get any weird vibes at the cemetary or at BH. Thought it looks dated and unkept. Now some of the creepy, little mini-cottages- they gave me the heebie jeebies bad.

Link?

the smoke waterfall at upper and lower foyers is impressive- the walk there is unforgettable. Many, many waterfalls and I think its the way the air moves through that trees that makes the woods there so magical. The light changes throughout the day as well. After the sun sets and not quite dark is when you can talk yourself into seeing and hearing things.

Here is a favorite view from the Loch Ness looking to shore and up to BH

BH_zpsb43f5877.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From a website naming the 100 most haunted places in the world.

http://www.hauntedam...ostlytplace.htm

Boleskine House

Boleskine-House.jpg

Some say Boleskines Lodge Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley, (12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947; was a British occultist, writer and mystic's former home and Jimmy Pages from Led Zeppellin is very haunted by ghosts demons, angles and Crowley himself. Boleskine House was the estate of Aleister Crowley from 1899 to 1913. It is located on the South-Eastern shore of Loch Ness in Scotland. It was built in the late 18th century by Archibald Fraser.

Aleister_Crowley.jpg

Crowley eventually sold the manor in order to fund the publication of The Equinox, Vol. III. However, he later alleged that the funds were stolen by the Grand Treasurer General of the Order, George MacNie Cowie. (The extensive mortgaging of the house by that time may in fact have left little funds to steal.)

From the early 1970s to well into the 1980s, Boleskine was owned by famed Led Zeppelin guitarist and Aleister Crowley enthusiast, Jimmy Page. Sections of Page's fantasy sequence in the Led Zeppelin concert film, The Song Remains the Same were filmed at night on the mountain side directly behind Boleskine House.

Boleskines Lodge Cemetery facing North, with view of Loch Ness is said to harbour man a restless soul.

Intrigue filled and haunting photographs

So when they filmed Jimmy's fantasy sequence, did the entire film crew stay at Boleskine House?

We'd need a first-person account to know for certain and I haven't seen any. A cameraman or two and the lantern-holder...quite plausible they were invited to stay the night.

We'd need a first-person account to know for certain and I haven't seen any. A cameraman or two and the lantern-holder...quite plausible they were invited to stay the night.

There would have to be wardrobe and make-up folks....lighting for the mountain...must have been more than just a couple.

There would have to be wardrobe and make-up folks....lighting for the mountain...must have been more than just a couple.

There could have been a lighting technician involved but I presume the makeup was done at the Tower House in London. Jimmy still has the mold they made of his face for the aging process. There's an outtake photo of the lantern-holder and Jimmy in-between takes

and neither appears to be wearing any makeup. As I recall the angles ensured the lantern-holder's face was not revealed in the shots.

There could have been a lighting technician involved but I presume the makeup was done at the Tower House in London. Jimmy still has the mold they made of his face for the aging process. There's an outtake photo of the lantern-holder and Jimmy in-between takes

and neither appears to be wearing any makeup. As I recall the angles ensured the lantern-holder's face was not revealed in the shots.

Steve is there a link to the outtake photos?

19970604003-1_zpsd4d863de.jpg

Boleskine Lodge & Boleskine House (June 4, 1997) (Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones)

19970604002-1_zps30a19e88.jpg

Boleskine Burial Ground (June 4, 1997) (Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones)

Such amazing photos. Lovely home of course I don't feel the same way in regard to it's history..

19970604003-1_zpsd4d863de.jpg

Boleskine Lodge & Boleskine House (June 4, 1997) (Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones)

19970604002-1_zps30a19e88.jpg

Boleskine Burial Ground (June 4, 1997) (Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones)

Wonderful photos. Lovely home however it's history is not one of a home where I would reside.

Lovely home however it's history is not one of a home where I would reside.

I didn't get any heebie-jeebies from the lodge or the purported deeds of its previous residents. A gentleman from the nearby abby was giving a educational outing to some children when we were there. His account included details about a medieval church being burned down on the cemetery grounds. He gave numoerous other accounts that establish the place as historically important. The mort house and some of the grave stones have musket ball holes that are obvious. They guy showed a sense of humor and light heartedly stated that in previous years the cemetery was kept up and in better shape but that lately, "business had been dead and the keepers were just a skeleton crew..."

This is a picture my wife took that is taken slightly to the right of where Steve was standing in one of his. The pictures tend to flatten out the terrain, the slope is much, much more steep that it comes across in the pictures.

post-21997-0-39619700-1359953634_thumb.j

The guy showed a sense of humor and light heartedly stated that in previous years the cemetery was kept up and in better shape but that lately, "business had been dead and the keepers were just a skeleton crew..."

Even so, people are dying to get into Boleskine Cemetary.

Archived