Boleskine House in top 100 haunted places in the world

There doesn't seem to be a link to the one I'm thinking of - Jimmy and a cast member (The Hermit) relaxing on the rocks in-between takes. I'll post it as soon as I can unless someone else does the same.

Did you ever find this photo Steve? Would be cool to see it.

oh Walter I don't know how you did that. The light plays tricks in those woods. Another 10 minutes and I would have been convinced of the leprechans and wee tree folk. Hope you sang LZ songs during the night. Have you ever written an account of your excursion there in the wood? Would (haha) love to hear it Walter.... please.

Have stayed the night there. Kept the lights on :o

I didn't get any heebie-jeebies from the lodge or the purported deeds of its previous residents. A gentleman from the nearby abby was giving a educational outing to some children when we were there. His account included details about a medieval church being burned down on the cemetery grounds. He gave numoerous other accounts that establish the place as historically important. The mort house and some of the grave stones have musket ball holes that are obvious. They guy showed a sense of humor and light heartedly stated that in previous years the cemetery was kept up and in better shape but that lately, "business had been dead and the keepers were just a skeleton crew..."

This is a picture my wife took that is taken slightly to the right of where Steve was standing in one of his. The pictures tend to flatten out the terrain, the slope is much, much more steep that it comes across in the pictures.

post-21997-0-39619700-1359953634_thumb.j

- Thank you for your insight on the property. It is a place I would certainly love to visit.

• 6 months later...

I have been staying the summer in Scotland and a couple months ago I went on a hike by myself from Foyers to Inverfarig along Loch Ness and then on the way back I went through the woods and along the ridge. I had no idea about Boleskine House at the time. When I was maybe half way back I was hiking through some deep woods. I had not seen anyone else for hours. All of the sudden I heard someone call my name so clearly that I turned around fully expecting to see someone I knew. There was no one there. I looked all around. It totally freaked me out and I started walking much faster until I made it back to Foyers. Weeks later I was telling a man from the area about my experience and he asked me to explain exactly where I was when it happened. When I did he gave me a knowingly smile and explained the story of Boleskine House and fully believed that this explained my experience. Not sure I would go back there again... :wacko:

All of the sudden I heard someone call my name so clearly that I turned around fully expecting to see someone I knew. There was no one there.

Julie, it's a good creepy story - which I love btw - but is probably due to an simple audio hallucination, which is quite common. Our names are so hardwired into our brains that we can often hear our name being called especially when we are alone. It's not a sign of mental illness - even blind people can get visual hallucinations. The neurologist Oliver Sacks has written a lot about this.

Julie, it's a good creepy story - which I love btw - but is probably due to an simple audio hallucination, which is quite common. Our names are so hardwired into our brains that we can often hear our name being called especially when we are alone. It's not a sign of mental illness - even blind people can get visual hallucinations. The neurologist Oliver Sacks has written a lot about this.

Really? I've never heard my name called when alone. I must be unique.

• 2 weeks later...

I was travelling this way in the summer and took a few photos in and around the Boleskine area, doesn't really show much but I thought I would post anyway, anyone who has been that way before might find them interesting. Seemed to be lots of work going on at the house, looked like a huge decking area being built directly in front of it. I believe is in private ownership again and closed to the public.

bf95bb5c6ba3759d4d2a05fa75cb19a6_zpsfe1c

fed64762de40b69a0650eeca5aab6981_zps6dc6

cd8ba1b0e59746202704f6b205f44f45_zps5898

62c398717f0ac8aefed57f13fb805f29_zps6d71

c55e6d116fff01c219369af1db4e1053_zps4fb3

• 6 months later...

During a visit to Inverness in '97 I spent some time near Boleskine House exploring the nearby graveyard and woods. I found the area to be very still and beautiful, but didn't sense anything mysterious.

An interesting anecdote: When I was in Inverness I spoke to a local tour guide who told me that when he was leading tours back in the 70's and 80's he would make stops outside of Boleskine House if a member of one of his tour groups requested it. He told me that on two separate occasions young women in his (van driven) tour groups requested that he stop at Boleskine House. He agreed, pulled his van over, the girls jumped out, ran up onto the Boleskine property, and never returned. The guide tried to find both girls, was unsuccessful, and reluctantly returned to Inverness with the rest of his tour group.

A second interesting anecdote: During a visit to a pub located near Boleskine House, I spoke to a pub employee who told me that Page would sometimes visit the pub to have a beer or two back during the 70's and 80's. According to this employee, the pub's owner--noticing Page's repeated visits--eventually screwed a metal placard engraved with the words "Jimmy Page" into the floor beneath Page's usual barstool. The placard was later removed after Page sold Boleskine House. Whether this employee's story had any credibility or not, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A second interesting anecdote: During a visit to a pub located near Boleskine House, I spoke to a pub employee who told me that Page would sometimes visit the pub to have a beer or two back during the 70's and 80's. According to this employee, the pub's owner--noticing Page's repeated visits--eventually screwed a metal placard engraved with the words "Jimmy Page" into the floor beneath Page's usual bar stool. The placard was later removed after Page sold Boleskine House. Whether this employee's story had any credibility or not, I don't know.

I doubt it. Jimmy seldom ventured to Boleskine and when he did the last thing he'd have wanted was to call undue public attention to his presence.

My profile photo is the gate at the end of the lane at Boleskine. We stayed at a BnB just short walk away. My husband & I cracked up when we were given the house rules. Just after the no smoking, no parking on grass, no space heaters, etc, it added we should not allow sheep and squirrels into our room & no chanting after 9:30.

The estate is locked up but I wanted to see the hill behind that was in TSRTS. I had a psychic experience there that is a little too complicated to explain. It is indeed a magickal place.

• 1 year later...

Firefighters called to historic Boleskine House on Loch Ness

Fire at Boleskine House

Firefighters have been called to a blaze at a historic property above Loch Ness.

Crews from Foyers, Inverness, Beauly and Dingwall have been sent to Boleskine House near Foyers.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said a large part of the property has been destroyed.

Boleskine House was owned by infamous occultist Aleister Crowley and later for a time by Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.

The alarm was raised at 13:40.

Flames from the fire were visible from the other side of the loch.

A fire appliance from Foyers and another from Inverness were first sent to the scene.

Pumps from Inverness and Beauly along with a water carrier from Inverness, a pump from Dingwall and an incident support unit from Inverness have also been sent.

Firefighters at scene of Boleskine House fire

Boleskine House

Fire at Boleskine House

Smoke rising from the scene of the fire at Boleskine House

SFRS said: "A large part of the property has already been destroyed by fire and crews are concentrating their efforts on the west wing of the building.

"Crews in breathing apparatus are using four main jets to tackle the blaze and the incident is ongoing."

Crowley, who died in 1947, lived at Boleskine House above Loch Ness from 1899 to 1913.

He was infamous in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century for his promotion of the occult.

During World War I, he wrote anti-British propaganda.

He was also an experienced climber and was part of an ill-fated attempt to scale K2, in modern day Pakistan, in 1902.

Musician Page bought Boleskine House in the 1970s because of the Crowley connection, before later selling it.

Source : http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-35171061

Archived