Band of Joy Artists Den Coming to DVD and Blu-ray

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Universal Music Group has signed a worldwide distribution deal with Artists Den to release the public television show's episode featuring Robert Plant and the Band of Joy. It is the first time UMG and the show have worked together and Universal Music Enterprises president Bruce Resnikoff tells Billboard.biz "I hope it's the first of many projects with them."

Universal will release "Robert Plant & the Band of Joy: Live from the Artists Den" on DVD and Blu Ray on July 10 and worldwide on July 9 through Universal Music Group International. Previous Artists Den releases had gone through Sony RED.

"We made a number of deals to get the global rights," Resnikoff says. "By combining global sales and marketing throughout the world, the pieces of the puzzle fit right."

Artists Den founder and executive producer Mark Lieberman agreed the international aspect was a key selling point.

Nether Resnikoff nor Lieberman would comment on any future projects, only saying that they are working on another release down the road. The Artist Den concept -- place star performers such as Adele or Elvis Costello in non-traditional venues such as Graceland or the New York City Public Library -- resonated with Resnikoff from the start; he began talks about the Plant DVD prior to it being shot.

"'Artists Den' separates itself from other shows because it is done in an intimate way with superstars [performing] a mix of current and past music that is easy to connect with as a musical event," Resnikoff says. "You knew [this would work] before it was done so it was not something that needed to be made before I got involved."

The DVD will also be presented as a featured story and product release for public television's National Pledge starting July 26. Artists Den Entertainment produces the show in association with WNET New York Public Media; American Public Television distributes it.

"The great thing about the DVD space," Resnikoff notes, "is even though it's off sales wise as a whole, the re-creation of the live experience, the concert experience, has not fallen off. A great video recording [means] you don't have to search the Internet for bootlegs, the cost is a relatively small investment and it's an experience that can be enjoyed over and over."

Plant created Band of Joy with guitarist Buddy Miller and singer Patty Griffin after his success with Alison Krauss on Raising Sand, his 2007 release that led to five Grammy wins. Plant's Band of Joy album -- the title is a reference to the group he formed with John Bonham prior to Led Zeppelin -- peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 in October 2010. It has sold 232,000 copies, according to Soundscan figures.

On the 16-song DVD, Plant and the Band of Joy revisit six Led Zeppelin songs -- "Black Dog," "Houses of the Holy," "Tangerine," "Ramble On," "Gallows Pole" and "Rock and Roll" -- four songs from the Band of Joy album, "Move Up" from Page and Plant and a few of Plant's solo works.

Plant recently announced the formation of a new band, the Sensational Space Shifters, with Griffin and members of his former backing band Strange Sensation.

Drawing inspiration from "the roots music of Mississippi, Appalachia, Gambia, Bristol and the foothills of Wolverhampton," the band is scheduled to appear Gloucester's Guildhall on May 8, at the HMV Forum in London and the 30th anniversary Womad festival in July and at the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival in Clarksdale, Miss., on Aug. 11.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/exclusive-universal-opens-door-for-robert-1007189752.story

I look forward to adding this to my collection of official and "non-official" Robert Plant DVDs.

This does give me a thought, and I can't be the only one who thinks this, but there could be a fantastic DVD box set compiled from Robert Plant's solo years.

In addition to this Band of Joy Artists Den concert, you could add the Raising Sand and Mighty Rearranger era Austin City Limits appearances. Wasn't there also an ACL appearance for "Dreamland"?

Then, there's Robert's 1990 Knebworth set, his Honeydrippers SNL set, and there must be a concert from one of his early 80s tours recorded somewhere in the vaults.

All told, there's gotta be enough solo Robert material for a 4 or 5 disc set. What a Christmas present that would make...and a fine video companion to the Nine Lives box set.

Track List: Robert Plant & the Band of Joy: Live from the Artists Den

1. Black Dog

2. Angel Dance

3. Houses of the Holy

4. House of Cards

5. Cindy, I'll Marry You Someday

6. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

7. Somewhere Trouble Don't Go

8. Tangerine

9. A Satisfied Mind

10. Move Up

11. Down to the Sea

12. Ramble On

13. Gallows Pole

14. In the Mood

15. Rock and Roll

16. I Bid You Goodnight

http://www.billboard...007191552.story

Thank the Good Lord for Robert's continued output of artistic endeavors. If it wasn't for Robert, Led Zeppelin would be an archived "On This Day" element only.

Thanks you Robert for being so alive and vibrant as the years pass along.

Much Respect to you!

If it wasn't for Robert, Led Zeppelin would be an archived "On This Day" element only.

Except for the albums Page has released with The Firm, the Honeydrippers, Willie and the Poor Boys, John Paul Jones, Coverdale-Page, Roy Harper, and the Black Crowes. Not to mention his contributions to Death Wish II and It Might Get Loud with The Edge and Jack White. I'm sure I missed a few things but you get the general idea, Page's career didn't end when Led Zeppelin called it a day.

Track List: Robert Plant & the Band of Joy: Live from the Artists Den

1. Black Dog

2. Angel Dance

3. Houses of the Holy

4. House of Cards

5. Cindy, I'll Marry You Someday

6. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

7. Somewhere Trouble Don't Go

8. Tangerine

9. A Satisfied Mind

10. Move Up

11. Down to the Sea

12. Ramble On

13. Gallows Pole

14. In the Mood

15. Rock and Roll

16. I Bid You Goodnight

http://www.billboard...007191552.story

My excitement is tempered a bit by the lack of "Silver Rider" and/or "Monkey" in the setlist.

Except for the albums Page has released with The Firm, the Honeydrippers, Willie and the Poor Boys, John Paul Jones, Coverdale-Page, Roy Harper, and the Black Crowes. Not to mention his contributions to Death Wish II and It Might Get Loud with The Edge and Jack White. I'm sure I missed a few things but you get the general idea, Page's career didn't end when Led Zeppelin called it a day.

Jahfin, although Jimmy did have the varied solo career as you list here. Also including the Outrider album, WIC, and No Quarter with Plant, nothing really has lived up to expectations. Also since 1980 Jimmy's resume'

would not be all that impressive given what he had accomplished with Zeppelin. The Black Crowes thing was really Jimmy doing Zeppelin with a cover band. The Firm did have a couple of good powerful songs

but the band was inconsistent. Willie and the Poor Boys was a quick, have fun and split album, Coverdale -Page was ok, Honeydrippers was good but not intense work on Jimmy's part. Roy Harper was boring.

All-in-all, 32 years worth (since 1980) of fair work that doesn't turn a head or ear for very long. 32 years!!

Jahfin, although Jimmy did have the varied solo career as you list here. Also including the Outrider album, WIC, and No Quarter with Plant, nothing really has lived up to expectations.

Who's expectations, yours?

Roy Harper was boring.

I love Whatever Happened To Jugula?, it's some of my favorite acoustic work from Page post-Zeppelin if not my very favorite.

And what about Jones?

Zooma, The Thunderthief, Them Crooked Vultures?

And about Jimmy, well, you can like or dislike what he made, but you can't say he stopped after LZ as Jahfin says

Great news about Robert :)

I wish Plant still regularly played many of his solo classics that I rarely see in setlists anymore. The prime exception is In The Mood in this show's setlist but I'd like to see more along the lines of:

In The Mood

29 Palms

Ship Of Fools

Tall Cool One

Darkness Darkness

Tie Dye On The Highway

Sea Of Love (Honeydrippers)

Big Log

I'm not saying I'd like him to overload his shows with his older stuff but I'd like to see more of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Archived