Which book could you not put down?

joe (Liverpool)

i first read the harpo one when i was about 16, i think. i was prepared for how funny and WARM it was. harpo really loved his brothers a lot. i would like to read his sons book, too.

i haven't read the one you mentioned ... i can''t quite make out the title ... i have just started reading groucho's son arthurs' book about him. of course these are all written years ago ....

It's called

Groucho The Life and Times of Julius Henry Marx

by Stefan Kanfer

If you click on the picture of the book, it should take you to a link with the detail.. to Barnes and Noble I think.

It's not working right now,,at least on my computer..

Overall, the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Specifically, the last 3 - God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune.

Although the original is the classic, the last 3 are the most entertaining for me.

Also, I'm referring to the original 6 book canon, NOT the unspeakable horror that the late Mr. Herbert's son Brian - in unholy league with Kevin J. Anderson - has wrought upon the sensibilities of fans everywhere with their prostituting of the Dune brand through the soulless churning out of book after book of third-rate fourth-rate fifth-rate un-rate-worthy tripe.

It's a travesty, and legal action should be taken.

tumblr_ljnycpKrfn1qh5ofz.jpg

For a good (read non-stop) laugh, Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint can't be beat.

Much like a good stand-up routine will have you still laughing from what was said 2 or 3 lines back, the hilarity in this book keeps pouring it on leaving you gasping for a breath.

The bottom line of the book is pretty much "growing up/being Jewish", with liberal doses of masturbation, relationships and family throughout.

I literally had tears in my eyes (from laughter) throughout most of the book, laughing even harder as I re-thought about what I had just read.

If you have any semblance of a sense of humor, you'll love this book.

portnoys-complaint-philip-roth.jpg

I'm not a novel reader, first complete novel wasn't till I was about 25. I've since read about 6! That's about one every four years.

The Da Vinci Code for me was the proverbial page turner. Took me less than two weeks, all others were 1-2 months.

I'm not a novel reader, first complete novel wasn't till I was about 25. I've since read about 6! That's about one every four years.

The Da Vinci Code for me was the proverbial page turner. Took me less than two weeks, all others were 1-2 months.

That was a good one; have you read Angels & Demons too?

I didn't read Angels and Demons. I saw the movie so I thought reading the book was now pointless.

Then again...The Da Vinci Code was a much better read than the movie.... :huh:

I thought Angels & Demons was even more compelling than The Da Vinci Code, although I did read both before the movies came out.

• 2 years later...

Claypool_Pumphouse3.jpg

Scary and hilarious at the same time (kinda like Les/Primus!) Here's a fitting review from Amazon:

A dark, clever tale of two brothers, a fishing trip, drugs, and murder, this novel skillfully combines classic motifs of epic struggle and intelligent layers of imagery, reminiscent of The Old Man and the Sea, and the raw, tweaked perspective of a Hunter S. Thompson novel.

I whizzed through these as well:

millennium-series-girl-with-the-dragon-t

I've only read 'John' from that list, but I've been meaning to read May Pang's book for a long time. I'm interested in what she thought or thinks of John and Yoko's relationship in the 70s.

I've just finished reading Peter Hook's book on Joy Division (read it in two days), and now I'm reading 'At the Heart of Darkness: Witchcraft, Satanism and Black Magic today by a John Parker', which is very interesting so far.

These:

cover4_b_uk.gifcover5_b_uk.jpg

Are you just now reading the Harry Potter series for the first time, Kiwi, or are you rereading these?

The Secret History. Just couldn't do ANYTHING else but read. That was a good two days.

Do you refer to the Donna Tartt novel? That was one of the best books of the 90s. An impressive debut, no doubt.

Are you just now reading the Harry Potter series for the first time, Kiwi, or are you rereading these?

Well Strider, this is my 10th re-read and again, like the 1st 9 times, I just cannot get myself to put these books down! Sadly, my sleep is getting sacrificed in the process, but I really don't mind! :)

Do you refer to the Donna Tartt novel? That was one of the best books of the 90s. An impressive debut, no doubt.

I do indeed. I just couldn't believe I could love it so much and then not like "The Little Friend" at all. Now I'm dithering over whether I want to read "The Goldfinch".

re-reading again " Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick " well worth checking out.

Any book by Peter Guralnick is worth checking out...from "Lost Highway" to "Searching for Robert Johnson" to "Last Train to Memphis" to "Dream Boogie".

I do indeed. I just couldn't believe I could love it so much and then not like "The Little Friend" at all. Now I'm dithering over whether I want to read "The Goldfinch".

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't read "The Goldfinch" yet, either...a cursory glance left me with the impression it was too much like a soap opera. Too many other books vying for my attention...particularly a couple of new spy books: "A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal" by Ben Macintyre and "The Good Spy: The Life and Death of Robert Ames" by Kai Bird.

Archived