Jones + Sten playing London's Cafe Oto, July 13

This is taking place Friday, July 13, 2012.

Brief description from Cafe Oto's website:

"The first event in a new series at Cafe OTO co-curated by Norway's Ny Musikk organisation and OTO projects. This will be the UK debut of the new collaborative project between legendary UK musician John Paul Jones and prolific Norwegian producer/musician Helge Sten - perhaps better known as Deathprod and a founding member of Supersilent. The pair explore ravishing, intricate noise via a set-up of guitar/bass and various electronic devices. The evening will open with a duo appearance from Steve Noble and Sebastian Lexer - one of the highlights of the recent Freedom of The City festival. "

http://www.cafeoto.c...paul-jones.shtm

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the show and wow, what an amazing evening. Glad I decided to go in the end, only found out about it today.

It was surreal to see one of my all time favorite musicians from the best damn band that ever was in such a small venue. I was fortunate enough to be second row and was so close, really different from the last time I saw him as part of Them Crooked Vultures at the Download Festival amid thousands of people!

The only other noise/avant garde show I've been to is one by Lou Reed's Metal Machine Trio a couple of years ago at Royal Festival Hall. Tonight's show was far more musical and there were some really interesting sounds. JPJ was using a ten string bass and a violin which were heavily synthesized. Didn't know what to expect but was really impressed. I really recommend seeing the tour in the autumn.

Also got to meet the man afterwards which was so awesome, never thought I'd get the chance to meet him. As a bass player and a guitarist it was a great moment. Still trying to come down after such a great night and the night after Robert's awesome show! Glad its the university summer holidays and I'm back to being near London!

Just got back from the show and wow, what an amazing evening. Glad I decided to go in the end, only found out about it today.

It was surreal to see one of my all time favorite musicians from the best damn band that ever was in such a small venue. I was fortunate enough to be second row and was so close, really different from the last time I saw him as part of Them Crooked Vultures at the Download Festival amid thousands of people!

The only other noise/avant garde show I've been to is one by Lou Reed's Metal Machine Trio a couple of years ago at Royal Festival Hall. Tonight's show was far more musical and there were some really interesting sounds. JPJ was using a ten string bass and a violin which were heavily synthesized. Didn't know what to expect but was really impressed. I really recommend seeing the tour in the autumn.

Also got to meet the man afterwards which was so awesome, never thought I'd get the chance to meet him. As a bass player and a guitarist it was a great moment. Still trying to come down after such a great night and the night after Robert's awesome show! Glad its the university summer holidays and I'm back to being near London!

Thanks for the info! I'm glad you got experience the show first hand. I never expect any bad music to come from JPJ. The guys just got the right appeal to me. Every solo release I have from him impresses me. You really leave me curious of the "sound" of this band. I couldn't help imagine how damn cool that was too see and hear. Maybe a vid will surface.

Review by Tim Owen:

"The various gizmos that connected John Paul Jones’s bass to his MacBook were pristine and minimalist in comparison to the higgle of haywired hardware at yr usual Oto improv concert. A compact keyboard and a shiny touchscreen control panel sat on the tabletop, with a thin strip of boldly numbered, brightly illuminated buttons on the floor in place of the usual array of scuffed pedals and stomp boxes. The obligatory nest of connectors was conspicuously absent. Just off to the side a violin hung ready for its brief moment of usage."

http://dalstonsound.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/minibus-pimps-john-paul-jones-and-helge-deathprod-sten-steve-noble-and-sebastian-lexer-at-cafe-oto/

Archived