Dazed And Confused vs Guitar Solo

DAS

I have been considering posting this for awhile and hinted at it in the This or That thread. The question is did you prefer Led Zeppelin playing Dazed And Confused like they did in their earlier days or the the guitar solos they replaced it with in their latter years? Both were great obviously but did you like the switch?

Well, I'm somewhat confused.

Do you mean...

A: Dazed and Confused vs. Jimmy's Guitar/Noise solo spot during the 1977 tour?

Or...

B: Dazed and Confused circa 1968-69 vs. Dazed and Confused circa 1970-75, when it grew past 20 minutes?

If you mean A, then it's a no-brainer...Dazed and Confused obviously. Anyone who prefers the '77 guitar/noise solo to Dazed and Confused is a few horsehairs short of a bow.

If you mean B, then I vote for the early Dazed and Confused over the longer ones. As great as the later ones could be, especially around 1971-72, there is something about Jimmy's sound with the Dragon Telecaster and the Hi-Watt amps(or the Rickenbackers) that makes the early D & Cs sound particularly tough and evil. The fuzz on the riff just killed and the tone on the solo was just like the tone on the studio version. Best of all, Plant would at least try to sing all the lyrics unlike the later years when he resorted to hoary blues cliches.

For me it’s the 1970 - 75 Dazed & Confused jams. ........To break it down more, give me the 73' and the 75's over the early days of 70’s......... Earls Court IMHO was the Dazed marathon at its finest. Jimmy’s soloing may not have been as flowing as 1970-1973 and Roberts voice technically not as precise, but Dazed & Confused as an entity was something to behold.

Archived