Starship 1975

sam_webmaster

WOW Sam! those are stunning shots. Its nice to see the unseen! thank you for posting them.

would love to see the same type of shots but on the 1977 Tour.

they seem pretty sedate for being on the 1975 tour!

Does anyone know who she is? I think it may be one of the stewardesses, but I am not sure as I know one of them was blonde.

...AEN, she appears to be the Inflight Supervisor to Flight Attendants...judging from their seriousness of conversation/expressions, they seems to be discussing some flight plan, which goes beyond the customer service of flight attendants...The starship was also leased by many others, but they don't match up the star status of Zeppelin in this regard!!!, perhaps some aviation Sites may have further details of staffing, etc..

...and I know, he does look totally Hot...can we expect anything else?

edited for clarity

• Just my 2 cents but the one stewardess ( Suzee) was blonde and I believe the second ( Bianca) was brunette. Although the woman pictured certainly could be a Supervisor as well.

...AEN, she appears to be the Inflight Supervisor to Flight Attendants...judging from their seriousness of conversation/expressions, they seems to be discussing some flight plan, which goes beyond the customer service of flight attendants...The starship was also leased by many others, but they don't match up the star status of Zeppelin in this regard!!!, perhaps some aviation Sites may have further details of staffing, etc..

...and I know, he does look totally Hot...can we expect anything else?

edited for clarity

Thank you for your insight, Planet...and of course I totally agree he is positively HOT in this and all the others here. :D

These are fantastic photos! DavidZoso, it makes perfect sense that it would be Chicago - I noticed that a guy in one of the first photos was wearing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey. They look very fresh for the start of the tour - except for the sleeping Bonzo! :D

What struck me about these photos was how happy and healthy they seemed. Such a stark contrast frm the 77 tour, especially for Jimmy.

I agree. '75 was pretty much the beginning of the fall, so to speak. Jimmy did still look very well and handsome here, though.

I agree. '75 was pretty much the beginning of the fall, so to speak. Jimmy did still look very well and handsome here, though.

I believe his heroin use really began during the recording of Presence, in late 1975. We'll never know for sure - and they obviously drank like fish and did a variety of drugs recreationally almost from the beginning; but it seems like the beginning of the fall, in terms of Page's addiction to heroin, took place a few months after the '75 tour was over.

^^^^^It has always been my impression that Robert's car accident in Greece was the catalyst for Jimmy's heroin addiction. The stress of having his best friend injured along with the uncertainty of the band's future. He might have dabbled with smack during the 75 tour when he was hanging around Iggy Pop. Just a hypothesis...

^^^^^It has always been my impression that Robert's car accident in Greece was the catalyst for Jimmy's heroin addiction. The stress of having his best friend injured along with the uncertainty of the band's future. He might have dabbled with smack during the 75 tour when he was hanging around Iggy Pop. Just a hypothesis...

Wasn't Scarlet also in the accident? Seems I remember reading that somewhere.

Wasn't Scarlet also in the accident? Seems I remember reading that somewhere.

Yes, but she was the only one uninjured. Plant's kids had very minor injuries but Scarlet, not even a scratch.

Also, 1975 was their peak IMO, creatively and live performance (though they should have had an acoustic set). Even with Plant's suffering voice I feel the band was the most tight on this tour, Jimmy's playing was the best, especially once the finger fully healed, and the vibe was just amazing.

Regarding that asshole Iggy Pop, if I were the tour manager instead of parasite Richard Cole I would have beat the living shit out of Iggy or anyone else who brought smack around the band. Not saying Jimmy was not responsible for his own actions, just that certain people do not benefit from the encouragement. It just makes me sad to think how great the band could have been post 75' had Jimmy and Bonzo not have become smack addicts.

Yes, but she was the only one uninjured. Plant's kids had very minor injuries but Scarlet, not even a scratch.

Also, 1975 was their peak IMO, creatively and live performance (though they should have had an acoustic set). Even with Plant's suffering voice I feel the band was the most tight on this tour, Jimmy's playing was the best, especially once the finger fully healed, and the vibe was just amazing.

Regarding that asshole Iggy Pop, if I were the tour manager instead of parasite Richard Cole I would have beat the living shit out of Iggy or anyone else who brought smack around the band. Not saying Jimmy was not responsible for his own actions, just that certain people do not benefit from the encouragement. It just makes me sad to think how great the band could have been post 75' had Jimmy and Bonzo not have become smack addicts.

Is there proof that Bonham was into Heroin? He never got rail thin like Jimmy, quite the opposite actually. He loved his booze thats for sure but I have heard he didn't like drugs?

I too was under the impression that Bonham was all about drinking, not drugs - and with a couple of exceptions on the '77 tour (San Diego June 19 for example), his playing seemed to stay just as ferocious and precise as ever.

As for '75, the reason I really like the Earls Court shows, particularly 5-24 and 5-25, is that we have them in great sound quality (for the most part), the band added the acoustic set back in, and Robert's voice was in very nice shape. I think it's tough to top March '73 and a few other periods for sheer tightness and virtuosity - but I think the Earls Court can hold up very well against any other Zep shows, of any other era.

I didn't think she was hurt badly, but I agree with MissMelanie that it could have been a catalyst for his addiction.

I always thought it was Richard Cole that got Jimmy on to heroin.

In terms of the heroin, I read in "When Giants Walked the Earth" that the 1975 tour was when the band members started to have easy access to heroin and that it started to "circulate freely" among them. From what I've read in that book, both Jimmy and Bonzo were definitely H addicts (and Cole).

The whereabouts of the Starship route?....I hope more details will come through...thanks!!

Assuming it's a flight that originated or returned to Chicago during daylight hours...

When they landed in Chicago from New York on January 16th 1975 only JPJ was wearing a coat and besides someone on aboard is already wearing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey. They flew from Chicago to Minneapolis and back on the 17th for rehearsal & Jimmy's

wearing the same clothes he wore at the rehearsal. Given the relaxed nature of what would have been a relatively brief flight I'd say

these photos were taken enroute to the rehearsal as opposed to the actual gig in Minneapolis on the 18th.

Other possibilities include a one-way flight from Chicago to Cleveland on Jan 24th & their Cleveland to Indianapolis flight on the 25th,

Several more possibilities present themselves if we assume the flight did NOT originate or return to Chicago during daylight hours.

Yes her name is Suzi Carnel, and she was one of the flight attendants, sister was married to Bobby Sherman

Thank you. :D

Assuming it's a flight that originated or returned to Chicago during daylight hours...

When they landed in Chicago from New York on January 16th 1975 only JPJ was wearing a coat and besides someone on aboard is already wearing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey. They flew from Chicago to Minneapolis and back on the 17th for rehearsal & Jimmy's

wearing the same clothes he wore at the rehearsal. Given the relaxed nature of what would have been a relatively brief flight I'd say

these photos were taken enroute to the rehearsal as opposed to the actual gig in Minneapolis on the 18th.

Other possibilities include a one-way flight from Chicago to Cleveland on Jan 24th & their Cleveland to Indianapolis flight on the 25th,

Several more possibilities present themselves if we assume the flight did NOT originate or return to Chicago during daylight hours.

The picture of Jimmy asleep it seems to be dark outside. There is also a color picture somewhere of Jimmy and Robert getting off the plane after dark.

No pics have surfaced from the actual gig in Minneapolis 1-18-75 but I have all 4 volumes of Neal Prestons books. There was two pics of them on stage saying it was Minneapolis but turned out to be from the second show in Chicago 1-21-75 and that matches up with the video footage.

But this pic is labeled Minneapolis 1-18-75 and Jimmy is wearing different clothes than the Chicago shows. He is wearing the cowboy stripped shirt and the pants from TSRTS 1973 MSG,NY footage. He wore the cowboy stripped shirt at alot of shows on the 1975 tour though. The 3rd show in Chicago he wore the same shirt but with white pants. So who knows if this pic is labeled right because I have seen that alot of pics by photographers claim to be one date and are others.

This pic is cropped at the bottom -as in my version you can see that Robert is wearing blue jeans and the snakeskin boots and Jimmy is wearing the pants from TSRTS 1973 movie. Robert is wearing the Red lollipop blouse that he wore alot on the 1975 tour.

lz19770603_01.jpg

Archived