Music Revival

betteremily

What genre(s) or time period(s) of music do you wish would become popular (appreciated) again? What bands? What is in the sound that's so appealing to you?

For me, I'd like to hear somebody bring the late '60s and early '70s heavy rock sound back...heavy bass guitar, great dynamics and long jams. It just feels right, tight and solid to me... :stereo: Early Grand Funk, Allman Brothers, Rare Earth, Chicago Transit Authority, Zep, Floyd etc. I think there was a good solid 5 years there when rock music hit a huge high.

I agree, groups like Hollies, Kinks, Early Stones, Beatles, Billy J Kramer, Early Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Barclay James Harvest, Led Zep, Floyd, Mothers Of Invention, Joni Mitchell and many, many others that the youth of today have not experienced, My two daughters like most of my stuff, unfortunately except Led Zep. My youngest (aged 13) knows nearly all the words to the Beatles and she loves them. Pity I cannot reciprocate, I find the music these days mind blowing, it seems to be going back to the 80s, all synthesisers and all that shit, so once again Bring back the 60s and the 70s.

Late 60's (67/68) to the early 70's (72). I once read somewhere that 1972 was rock n roll's best year. The Stones at it's best, Zeppelin winning the west and Queen would appear a year later. But I don't think music will ever return to that kind of hiatus because of one simple thing: Technology. They rely to much on it thinking it simplifies things but the truth is that it makes the quality of the production crapier.

Late 60's (67/68) to the early 70's (72). I once read somewhere that 1972 was rock n roll's best year. The Stones at it's best, Zeppelin winning the west and Queen would appear a year later. But I don't think music will ever return to that kind of hiatus because of one simple thing: Technology. They rely to much on it thinking it simplifies things but the truth is that it makes the quality of the production crapier.

Crapier and disingenuous.

I don't have a desire to see the music of any particular era be the subject of a revival as I'm perfectly content with the music that's being made today.

As for technology, not everyone uses Pro Tools or AutoTune. For instance, the Drive-By Truckers record their albums using analog tape and release them on vinyl but they're far from the only ones.

I don't have a desire to see the music of any particular era be the subject of a revival as I'm perfectly content with the music that's being made today.

I think of the Grateful Dead, who we both like, as very much a revival band. Led Zeppelin, too - but only in the lyrics. All these groups you provide links and videos for, doing covers of songs from decades ago - isn't that a revival?

Archived