Sky Watch

betteremily

try this app for your phone....it's the balls.....

http://www.google.com/mobile/skymap/

we had fun watching mars and jupiter lately.......you just stand there with your phone and the app shows all the constellations/ stars/ planets in the sky both day and night from your location......stargazing has never been easier

and it's free

:banana:

Thank you for the tip. I just purchased my first iphone a few weeks ago and this app sounds like one I'd like to have a look at.

i have no idea what this could be, but very interesting to look at. it doesn't look fake/c.g. either ....

Its what's known as a " Hole Punch Cloud" heres what they believe is the cause:

A “Hole Punch” cloud is a non-technical name given to a cloud formed from an aircraft dissipation hole or trail. They are also called "Punch Hole" clouds. Rather than extending as a line, Hole Punch clouds appear as a circular or oval hole in a deck or thin layer of supercooled water clouds. They are not uncommon where jet flight paths intersect altocumulus layers. What is uncommon is when they form in a perfect circle that persists for a length of time to be widely observed.

holepunch_large.jpg

Its what's known as a " Hole Punch Cloud" heres what they believe is the cause:

A “Hole Punch” cloud is a non-technical name given to a cloud formed from an aircraft dissipation hole or trail. They are also called "Punch Hole" clouds. Rather than extending as a line, Hole Punch clouds appear as a circular or oval hole in a deck or thin layer of supercooled water clouds. They are not uncommon where jet flight paths intersect altocumulus layers. What is uncommon is when they form in a perfect circle that persists for a length of time to be widely observed.

holepunch_large.jpg

aha! thankyou! never heard of those before, sounds like you solved it!

• 3 weeks later...

A little cloudy in the NorthEast still...

However, I can assure you the full effects of a full moon are alive and well, if you catch my drift. Clients today were a little off the wall, and so is my teenaged daughter and her friends. Aaaccckkkk!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...

Our annual sky show from Halley's comet, the Orionid meteor shower, will peak overnight Saturday, with as many as 20 shooting stars an hour expected to be visible from dark locations away from city lights.

"The peak of the shower starts at about 11:30 p.m. local time on October 20th, just as the moon is setting, and should be strongest just before dawn," said Anthony Cook, astronomer at GriffithObservatory in Los Angeles, California.

Sky-watchers should also be on the lookout for fireballs—baseball- to basketball-size space rocks that create especially brilliant meteors as they burn up in Earth's atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know whether to post these in this thread or the picture thread.

Anyways, I saw how big the moon was tonight and was compelled to get out my telescope and take a look. I also took a look at Jupiter. As I was setting up the haze started to creep in so my observation window was pretty short. These pictures were taken with a point and shoot handheld to the eyepiece on my 10" telescope (I didn't correct orientation).

IMG_52952222222222.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

This is Saturn and Jupiter (at opposition) from last year

396712_498884073472017_1840176688_n.jpg

307311_286404548053305_1642074508_n.jpg

Didn't know whether to post these in this thread or the picture thread.

Anyways, I saw how big the moon was tonight and was compelled to get out my telescope and take a look. I also took a look at Jupiter. As I was setting up the haze started to creep in so my observation window was pretty short. These pictures were taken with a point and shoot handheld to the eyepiece on my 10" telescope (I didn't correct orientation).

IMG_52952222222222.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

This is Saturn and Jupiter (at opposition) from last year

396712_498884073472017_1840176688_n.jpg

307311_286404548053305_1642074508_n.jpg

great pics!

Thanks everyone :)

publicenemy3 geat pics!!! Can you use any camera for that eye piece, or is it made for the eye piece itsself?

Nothing fancy at all, I'm just holding this digital camera up to the eyepiece...I can get an attachment for a camera though. Sometimes I use a tripod w/ a timer set (to minimize vibration) if the object is big enough/doesn't move out of the frame too quick.

I think having a good telescope would be a good thing for me or anyone else to view such unbelievable sights to the eyes. It's so unbelievable. Now what one to get is another thing. Perhaps, someone here can provide this info. Would love one that the US uses but I think that's out of my budget and don't have the property size to fit it here. Forget the name of the vast one that is well known.

Would like to have one to see the planets in our solar system, up reasonably close. It would be such a cool thing! Can't beat it! Well not true. Seeing Zep as I never did would be better, so this would be second!

I'm just an amateur astronomer, but I'm getting better the more and more I observe. This is the telescope i have, http://www.telescope...ortelescope.cfm . I was torn between getting that one or one that had a motorized base. A motorized base allows you to pick an object and the scope will automatically turn so that the object is in the eyepiece.

I got this one because it was the kind that we used in school and it was on sale at the time. I was comfortable with it and it works well in light polluted areas (suburbs of Los Angeles). I will, at one point, end up getting one with a motorized base as I have trouble finding things other than planets and the few nebula I know how to locate.

Even if you get a small telescope, looking at the moon is always fascinating. It all comes down to what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend/time involved.

I'm just an amateur astronomer, but I'm getting better the more and more I observe. This is the telescope i have, http://www.telescope...ortelescope.cfm . I was torn between getting that one or one that had a motorized base. A motorized base allows you to pick an object and the scope will automatically turn so that the object is in the eyepiece.

I got this one because it was the kind that we used in school and it was on sale at the time. I was comfortable with it and it works well in light polluted areas (suburbs of Los Angeles). I will, at one point, end up getting one with a motorized base as I have trouble finding things other than planets and the few nebula I know how to locate.

Even if you get a small telescope, looking at the moon is always fascinating. It all comes down to what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend/time involved.

i'm going to get one soon, i love looking at the sky!