Sky Watch

betteremily

This sounds a bit more ominous.

It's called Apophis.

It's 390m wide.

And it could hit Earth in 31 years' time. (Back in 2005)

http://www.guardian....ration.research

And an update for tomorrow...

http://www.guardian....earth-wednesday

man those things are scary!

and even scarier are the ones they haven't found yet .......

Dark news for dark energy. Astrophysicists cant find evidence to support the alternative to Einstein's propositions.

http://earthsky.org/...ing-out-of-room

that's a bit over my head .... can't grasp what dark energy really is .... then again, i don't believe in the big bang theory either. never did. even when i first was told about it in high school.

that's a bit over my head .... can't grasp what dark energy really is .... then again, i don't believe in the big bang theory either. never did. even when i first was told about it in high school.

Black holes and such things are being studied and the Hubble has taken us far ahead in our learning of outer space than anyone can imagine. We have so much more to learn The big bang theory I have problems with also. I know their is good evidence to support the expanding of the universe and galaxies within sight of our best telescopes. But there are holes in these theories as there are holes in the theories that killed off the dinosaurs. Darwin's theory of evolution certainly makes alot of sense. But there are problems along the way with that also. Can someone name the polish astronomer of the 15th or 16th century? It was a question on my Jeopardy test tonight online. I know the answer somewhere deep in my memory. i had learned it but have forgotten. Copernicus and Galileo are only a couple of old astronomers i can recall. Back to the big bang, I have trouble with the asumption gas's were existant and we take the incredible leap from having a dark void and somehow they believe a few gases spawned an explosion beyond comprehension in comparison to anything we know about atomic boms and such. Too may leaps, and too much arrogance in their theoretical calculations. I am very open minded. I do believe there is life out there somewhere. I believe in God also. Perhaps more answers can be found deep in our Earth. But there are many answers out there that are just so far away. I have not gazed at the stars lately. I miss it at times. I do not have a good telescope which I do wish I had at times.

i just can't see how they think that ALL this, THE ( known ) UNIVERSE all came from a microscopic dot. wtf?

think about it. imagine trying to crush down the things in your room to that size. hmmmm .... now your whole house hmmmmmmmmm, now your town, country, the EARTH .....hmmmmmmmm :redcard:

i just can't see how they think that ALL this, THE ( known ) UNIVERSE all came from a microscopic dot. wtf?

think about it. imagine trying to crush down the things in your room to that size. hmmmm .... now your whole house hmmmmmmmmm, now your town, country, the EARTH .....hmmmmmmmm :redcard:

And where did the gas's come from to start the process? You must have something to start with? That, they can never explain. Dust particles even must come from somewhere. How do you get something from nothiing? From a void. A vacuum if you will? I think the answer can only be one thing. God.

And where did the gas's come from to start the process? You must have something to start with? That, they can never explain. Dust particles even must come from somewhere. How do you get something from nothiing? From a void. A vacuum if you will? I think the answer can only be one thing. God.

Where did god come from then, any idea? If you mean god the creator then what created the creator. I see only questions that can never be wholly answered, only theorised. But hey, whatever gets you through life. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong.

Just think of it this way. Einstein was a lot smarter than us and the people that taught you in high school.

Just think of it this way. Einstein was a lot smarter than us and the people that taught you in high school.

i do often have a hard time getting my head around things like this ( dark energy, black holes .... ). i believe one day the big bang will be proven wrong. i think the latest one is called expansion, but that also starts with something from nothing, so ..... ? hope one day we will know :)

Copernicus and Galileo are only a couple of old astronomers i can recall. Back to the big bang, I have trouble with the asumption gas's were existant and we take the incredible l

Are you sure Copernicus isn't the answer? He was born in Prussia in 1473ish. He heliocentric theory was published the same year as his death in 1543ish. Prussia was a part of the Kingdom of Poland at that time.

Are you sure Copernicus isn't the answer? He was born in Prussia in 1473ish. He heliocentric theory was published the same year as his death in 1543ish. Prussia was a part of the Kingdom of Poland at that time.

Old Copper Nick was a Pole and claimed we lived in a Sun centered solar system. Yes, he did re-establish what the Ptolomeys had concluded in ancient Greece. ( Historical Note: Cleopatra was a Ptolomey)

Edited by Black Dawg

Thankyou. Yes you are correct. I just was not sure of his nationality. Indeed it is.

I still do not know how I did on the test. Spelling does not count. Thank God. I know I nailed some of them. But the author questions I cant stand. Fingers crossed but doubt I scored high enough to qualify. I will take it again when it comes around.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

i do often have a hard time getting my head around things like this ( dark energy, black holes .... ). i believe one day the big bang will be proven wrong. i think the latest one is called expansion, but that also starts with something from nothing, so ..... ? hope one day we will know :)

Well think of dark energy what is pushing/pulling the expansion of the the Universe. Dark energy is the name given to the bit we we have not figured out*

* other opinions are available.....

sorry, cecil. that comment was directed at black dawg.

i have never seen anything in the night sky other than planes etc.

my husband saw a formation of 5 lights in a triangle moving across our sky a few months ago, though ....

I was rather thinking of Planets or Stars or maybe the Southern Cross....type observations.

Where did god come from then, any idea? If you mean god the creator then what created the creator. I see only questions that can never be wholly answered, only theorised. But hey, whatever gets you through life. Who is to say who is right and who is wrong.

it's the old chicken and egg thing .... i just hope one day all will be revealed ...... :)

I was rather thinking of Planets or Stars or maybe the Southern Cross....type observations.

oh yes, i know you were. i haven't had a chance to look through the telescope. only once, and it was jupiter, we think. we could see 4 tiny moons ( ? ). i haven't looked at the moon yet, as it hasn't been visible yet till after about 11pm, and i am in bed by then!

even though i live in australia, it's not all outback and bushland. i live in a city ....

oh yes, i know you were. i haven't had a chance to look through the telescope. only once, and it was jupiter, we think. we could see 4 tiny moons ( ? ). i haven't looked at the moon yet, as it hasn't been visible yet till after about 11pm, and i am in bed by then!

even though i live in australia, it's not all outback and bushland. i live in a city ....

Damn it, I have only seen three!