Sky Watch

betteremily

• 2 weeks later...

Please Wes can we try to stay on topic.

Last night we caught the tail-end of the Perseid meteors. The previous nights it was overcast.

First one I saw was probably the brightest shooting star I've ever seen and it left a trail in the sky. Other than that not too many showed up.

Last night we caught the tail-end of the Perseid meteors. The previous nights it was overcast.

First one I saw was probably the brightest shooting star I've ever seen and it left a trail in the sky. Other than that not too many showed up.

That is pretty good, here the light pollution makes it near impossible to observe much, having said that I did see the ISS going over. while

on the look out for the Perseids.

I will keep a watch over the next few nights just in case.

That is pretty good, here the light pollution makes it near impossible to observe much, having said that I did see the ISS going over. while

on the look out for the Perseids.

I will keep a watch over the next few nights just in case.

Yeah, we're out in the boonies/edge of the wilderness where it's really dark. The Milky Way really pops out here. We also spot lots of satellites.

saw s strange things in the sky today, at different times.

first in the afternoon i saw a yellow/orange shape appear in the sky. it was coming towards me. i had been looking at the moon through binoculars, so i had them near me. i picked them up to look at the object, and it appeared to stop moving, and just hover. i tried to look at it without the binoculars, but couldn't see anything! so looked through them again, and found it. looked with my own eyes again, and again couldn't see it! it didn't come back :( i have no idea what it was, but it was not a bird or balloon....

next hubby and i were still outside when it was dark, and we both saw a light no bigger than a small star blink on and off 3 times and then nothing .... it looked to be very high up. we waited for ages to see if it would reappear ....

and then a little while later, we both saw a light about the size of the ISS pass over head at about the same speed and height as the ISS, but i looked up the website and it wasn't the ISS ....

edited to add :

just found a really cool site

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html

i think it was a satellite. you can look up which ones are in your area ... really cool!

Edited by slave to zep

Slave satellites are about 500 miles up the ISS is around 300 miles up and fairly large, any chance it was a weather balloon ?

pretty sure the last sighting was a sattelite, but the second one ...... ? what blinks a few times, at random spacing, then disappears???

the first one is reallly weird. hubby thinks i saw a plane with the sun reflecting, but it was ROUND, not elongated.....

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Harvest Moon tonight! http://earthsky.org/space/harvest-moon-2

"Who named the Harvest Moon? That name probably sprang to the lips of farmers throughout the Northern Hemisphere, on autumn evenings, as the Harvest Moon aided in bringing in the crops. The name was popularized in the early 20th century by the song below.

Shine On Harvest Moon
By Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth (1903)

Shine on, shine on harvest moon
Up in the sky,
I ain’t had no lovin’
Since January, February, June or July
Snow time ain’t no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon,
So shine on, shine on harvest moon,
For me and my gal."

Edited by Strider