Sky Watch

betteremily

There is a Harvest Moon tonight! http://earthsky.org/space/harvest-moon-2

Beautiful song!

One of my all time absolute favourites ........ which has so many memories, for so many reasons, it almost breaks my heart.

I saw Neil Young perform at Hanover MA when I was in the States in 2010. He didn't sing Harvest Moon on the night, but it was still an incredible and memorable concert.

Tonight is indeed a stunning full moon ....... a harvest moon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking back to the moon walk in 1969 it was common belief we would put a man on Mars by 2000 or soon after. Now it seems unlikely we will ever do it because we have enough information from rovers to know there is nothing important there. At least so it seems. So what will NASA do? Will space exploration now be limited to computers and robots? Or will they someday send a crew on a mission never to return to Earth. Reproduce on the ship and transmit signals back to Earth? Unless they come to us, it seems the most likely way to prove if there is anything out there within reach. It will take years, many years to reach anything of importance it now seems as we have seen so much with the Hubble. Certainly there are men and women that would do this. Leave and never return for the sake of science and adventure.

200,000 people already willing to go to mars, rick ......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/space-mars-colony-intergalactic-travel/4947138

I still believe it will come down to what is learned from land rovers and robots that are there. Why send people to a barren, lifeless planet? I would rather go on a non return expedition outside of our solar system.

Forget Mars, It's cool and all, but we have explored Mars to the point that we know more about it than we know about our own moon, or the deepest depths of our own oceans. There is nothing there of scientific importance that we have been able to find......I say we focus on what's under the ice of Europa.

post-841-0-68680100-1383092114_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-78445800-1383092178_thumb.jpg

Forget Mars, It's cool and all, but we have explored Mars to the point that we know more about it than we know about our own moon, or the deepest depths of our own oceans. There is nothing there of scientific importance that we have been able to find......I say we focus on what's under the ice of Europa.

Very good point that we do not know that much about the "center of the Earth" and some of the deepest parts of the oceans. But we do not know very much about what is beneath the Martian surface either. It must be studied in greater depth with Rovers at least. They must dig in many places, especially if there is ice

i've heard that the so called "face"on mars has now been erased from the nasa pics? or has it been actually erased .....?

I don't think it's been erased, it's just an other photo taken during the same fly over in '76 from an other angle.

Edited by zepscoda

I still believe it will come down to what is learned from land rovers and robots that are there. Why send people to a barren, lifeless planet? I would rather go on a non return expedition outside of our solar system.

I think rovers and probes are doing a excellent job, someone has to step forward and address the difficult part which is putting man into space again. I know CGI demonstrations look wonderful, but man did not get to the Moon by sitting around watching artists impressions.

i've heard that the so called "face"on mars has now been erased from the nasa pics? or has it been actually erased .....?

Slave....behave. <_<

I think rovers and probes are doing a excellent job, someone has to step forward and address the difficult part which is putting man into space again. I know CGI demonstrations look wonderful, but man did not get to the Moon by sitting around watching artists impressions.

Slave....behave. <_<

Seems to be no reason for us to put a man on Mars. We have the robots and rovers that can tell us alot. If we send a man into space, perhaps it will be a non return mission destination outside of the Solar System. But it brings in alot of moral questions. Reproducing on the ship. Can it be done? How long would it take to communicate back to Earth?

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40481898

Click here to watch video in a new link! Cue up to the 1:38:00 mark to watch the unidentified flying object appear and then vanish.

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4, 2013.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

Because the UFO changes shape and color, it doesn't seem to be a lens flare or any other object inside the space station casting a reflection on to the viewing window.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40481898

Click here to watch video in a new link! Cue up to the 1:38:00 mark to watch the unidentified flying object appear and then vanish.

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4, 2013.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

Because the UFO changes shape and color, it doesn't seem to be a lens flare or any other object inside the space station casting a reflection on to the viewing window.

that sure looks weird, i wonder what it could be????