TSRTS

ledhead1979

I wouldn't say that I'm that familiar with the movie or its soundtrack. The latter I've probably never heard and the former I've seen only on TV years ago. Care to give us a vibe about the new DVD. I've definitely been trying to slip it onto various relatives' Christmas present list ;-)

This DVD release is very good. The film quality seems to really be cleaned up, watching it was like watching it for the first time at points. I grew up with the movie on VHS and the soundtrack. The soundtrack was its own thing and didn't always follow the music in the movie. I liked that, I think a lot of people did. The movie had a few weird edits that, in the 70's were hard to fix so it seems. Now in 2007, it would be very easy to fix these but because of legal reasons, they aren't allowed to. I'm ok with the weird edits, they've become part of the movie. The new movie sound is amazing. I wish they didn't try to blend the edited sound together but rather leave it disjointed like the visual is. It still doesn't blend but now it sounds like its trying to which doesn't work. Its one second and I can over look it for vastly better audio. The biggest issue I have and I think I share it with a lot of people is now the soundtrack CD is the same as in the movie, weird cuts and all. The soundtrack isn't its own thing but rather just a duplicate of what is in the movie. Jimmy Page has said he always wanted them to be the same and I respect that. I can't however think it was just easier and more cost effective to do one soundtrack instead of making it the way it always was and in my opinion should have been.

All in all, this is the way to watch the movie.

I like the live material on film or CD but the fantasy sequences were hardly essential viewing when it cam out 30 odd years ago and it hasn't improved with age imho.

Great to have SIBLY in it now.

It was always in the movie after Plant's "cosmic energy" quip.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an amazing 2-DVD set, plus now, you get another Bonus disc with rare footage like the great "Celebration Day"and other priceless behind-the-scened footage. Page was on fire, slickest he ever played or looked by far. Classic versions, killer vibe, brings back memories..."in the days of my youth" indeed. I will always have a soft spot for TSRTS. There something special about Page's great tone on TSRTS, he was out to kill for sure. John Paul Jones's bass lines ain't too shabby either, this guy is about the hottest bassist you will ever encounter. But musicians know this. Talk about shit-hot improvs!!

I also have no problem whatsoever with the fantasy sequences, they actually paved the way for MTV videos(for better or worse), they are a nice diversion to break up the movie, I like them, they are tongue-in-cheek but also have some wickedly cool moments, Page as The Hermit up on the hill, Bonzo burning it up on his dragsters, Plant's sequence has some beautiful shot of the Welch mountains and coutryside, and Jonesy's is moody and cool during the dark horseback scenes. What can I say, I love it. Nevermind the odd edit here and there on the movie, just get it. Get the new CD soundtrack also, but just keep the older CD soundtrack for having the full edited versions of NQ and WLL, my only beef, and a big one at that. But all in all, a must-have for any Zeppelin fan.

The biggest issue I have and I think I share it with a lot of people is now the soundtrack CD is the same as in the movie, weird cuts and all. The soundtrack isn't its own thing but rather just a duplicate of what is in the movie. Jimmy Page has said he always wanted them to be the same and I respect that. I can't however think it was just easier and more cost effective to do one soundtrack instead of making it the way it always was and in my opinion should have been.

I like the fact that it's different and it makes the original version all the more worth holding onto, especially if it goes OOP.

With the superior versions of NQ and WLL, it could become quite valuable.

I fell in love with Led Zeppelin when I saw this movie in the theatre back in the 70's -- I had no idea what their music was about until I saw the movie. After I saw it the first time, I saw it as many times as I could afford before it left the theatre. Robert Plant wowed me out, and the music left me speechless back then. I felt all those feelings rush back at me in the O2 Arena. It was like a mega-timewarp! Needless to say I adore the movie! (Does anybody remember laughter?)

It's an amazing 2-DVD set, plus now, you get another Bonus disc with rare footage like the great "Celebration Day"and other priceless behind-the-scened footage. Page was on fire, slickest he ever played or looked by far. Classic versions, killer vibe, brings back memories..."in the days of my youth" indeed. I will always have a soft spot for TSRTS. There something special about Page's great tone on TSRTS, he was out to kill for sure. John Paul Jones's bass lines ain't too shabby either, this guy is about the hottest bassist you will ever encounter. But musicians know this. Talk about shit-hot improvs!!

I also have no problem whatsoever with the fantasy sequences, they actually paved the way for MTV videos(for better or worse), they are a nice diversion to break up the movie, I like them, they are tongue-in-cheek but also have some wickedly cool moments, Page as The Hermit up on the hill, Bonzo burning it up on his dragsters, Plant's sequence has some beautiful shot of the Welch mountains and coutryside, and Jonesy's is moody and cool during the dark horseback scenes. What can I say, I love it. Nevermind the odd edit here and there on the movie, just get it. Get the new CD soundtrack also, but just keep the older CD soundtrack for having the full edited versions of NQ and WLL, my only beef, and a big one at that. But all in all, a must-have for any Zeppelin fan.

Hey Guy’s. I’m brand new to the forum, but definitely not to The Zep. I fell in love TSRTS in 1980. The sound track version, not so much the movie. Best song EVER- No Quarter, from the sound track. With just the right level of intoxication, (and the right sound system) it makes me weep every time!

Anyway, now I’ll get to the point. I love band footage. Especially The Zep! 2003 DVD-Awesome! When I read Pages quote, "We have re-visited The Song Remains The Same," says guitarist Jimmy Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on How The West Was Won. When it comes to The Song Remains The Same, the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the Led Zeppelin wish list." I was under the impression that the fantasy sequences would be edited out and we would be seeing what the crowd saw at the Garden in 73’. The sound is much improved, but from what I am reading, most people are happy with the same old Song Remains the Same. Am I alone in screaming, “I want to see the CONCERT, not the same old movie!”???

Its good that they revisited this, especially rounding out the soundtrack. This was the only live -led zeppelin we had as fans, except for bootlegs ofcourse. The live side of -led zep represented in tsrts, is an important record for all the fans that never got to see them live and the live sound is a must, because its a whole different energy than the records. I'm still amazed that something like -how the west was won, wasnt put out years ago...especially to capitalize on the bootleg market that was going on. Jeez -page and co. really let time take its course on that one, but then again -plant was out there singing zeppelin songs since 88 steadily.

I think it's good - really good.

TSRTS is and allways will be my very fav, and it's because of the fantasy sequences as well as the music.

What you are getting is a led zepp experience, not just a concert, but an experience that you can't get from an ordinary concert..

That's what makes it stand out - the family scenes/fantasy clips were unique.

Overall I love it! I hear notes and subtlties I never noticed before (and I've listened deep over the years to say the least). But what's with the ridiculous flanger on Moby Dick? WTF? Hearing all those ghost strokes and quiet bass drum work, as well as the great drum sound on the preceding songs had me thrilled with anticipation for Moby Dick. Then it gets thrown in the bloody wind tunnel. Ack! :wacko:

What were they thinking??? :o

Overall I love it! I hear notes and subtlties I never noticed before (and I've listened deep over the years to say the least). But what's with the ridiculous flanger on Moby Dick? WTF? Hearing all those ghost strokes and quiet bass drum work, as well as the great drum sound on the preceding songs had me thrilled with anticipation for Moby Dick. Then it gets thrown in the bloody wind tunnel. Ack! :wacko:

...or smoking?

Moby Dick was always bastardized, right from the beginning. The editing is awful.

Moby Dick was always bastardized, right from the beginning. The editing is awful.

Granted, Moby Dick was cut to ribbons in the original film and soundtrack, but can you honestly compare that to the trip through the vacuum cleaner from hell on the new take?? :huh:

Ok who likes the new DVD just out? I think its awesome :D

Hey Guy’s. I’m brand new to the forum, but definitely not to The Zep. I fell in love TSRTS in 1980. The sound track version, not so much the movie. Best song EVER- No Quarter, from the sound track. With just the right level of intoxication, (and the right sound system) it makes me weep every time!

Anyway, now I’ll get to the point. I love band footage. Especially The Zep! 2003 DVD-Awesome! When I read Pages quote, "We have re-visited The Song Remains The Same," says guitarist Jimmy Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on How The West Was Won. When it comes to The Song Remains The Same, the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the Led Zeppelin wish list." I was under the impression that the fantasy sequences would be edited out and we would be seeing what the crowd saw at the Garden in 73’. The sound is much improved, but from what I am reading, most people are happy with the same old Song Remains the Same. Am I alone in screaming, “I want to see the CONCERT, not the same old movie!”???

I also have no problem whatsoever with the fantasy sequences, they actually paved the way for MTV videos(for better or worse), ...

i remember going to the midnite show every saturday in the late '70s-early 80's, and we (my friends and i) would scream bloody murder during roberts boat/sword/beach sequence because we could hear jimmy tearing up the double-neck on "tsrts" behind him and we would have preferred to watch that!

but i like the chase during "dazed" that sprouts from jimmy's eye....very well done, that one..

beat

Ok who likes the new DVD just out? I think its awesome :D

I don't have it yet. LOL (what kind of fan am I LOL) It was on my Christmas list. I think my family was too worried about buying the original wrong one instead of the newer one. And they knew I owned the original. So they just left it up to me. They got me some gift cards and I will be using them to purchase it...why of course.

I did buy the CD though with one of my gift cards just yesterday. I love the CD. I love love love it. They didn't have the DVD at the store, so I'll go online and buy it! I love the extra songs and the sound seems to be better, much better. However, I do own the original TSRTS. I want to compare them. LOL But I can't wait to get the DVD.

Archived