Zeppelin "toured with Spirit"

Pagesbow

Or did they? the general consensus is they did, and the always infallible wikipedia seems to concur. In the book "Led Zeppelin: The Concert File" it has Led Zeppelin on the same bill as Spirit when they opened for Vanilla Fudge on the 26 December, 1968 (first ever U.S perfomance) I can also find a few other occasions in 1969 where they played together which, to me, is different to actually touring with another band; although this might be just an exercise in semantics.

The reason for my post is just to ask if anyone has definitive information on how many times Zep played with/shared the bill with/toured with Spirit.

Thanks in advance.

Led Zeppelin and Spirit never toured together they just happened to be on the same bill at various dates/festivals from '68-'69.

December 28, 1968 Denver, CO

May 16, 1969 Detroit, MI

July 4, 1969 Westbury, NY (cancelled)

July 27, 1969 Woodinville, WA

August 31, 1969 Lewisville, TX

The handbill designed by Carl Lundgren for Led Zeppelin's May 16, 1969 gig at Olympia in Detroit shows Spirit (along with Illinois Speed Press) to be the support act, but that concert was rescheduled for the Grande Ballroom, adding support from Sun Ra and Golden Earring.

On February 1,1970 Robert Plant was admitted to Kidderminster Hospital to receive treatment for broken teeth and severe cuts following an automobile accident after he'd gone to a Spirit concert (unsure if the car accident occured before or after the show).

He discharged himself the next day and returned home for rest and recouperation. Led Zeppelin's Feb 7th gig at the Ulster Hall

in Edinburgh was rescheduled for Feb 17th on account of Robert's injuries.

Led Zeppelin and Spirit never toured together they just happened to be on the same bill at various dates/festivals from '68-'69.

December 28, 1968 Denver, CO

May 16, 1969 Detroit, MI

July 4, 1969 Westbury, NY (cancelled)

July 27, 1969 Woodinville, WA

August 31, 1969 Lewisville, TX

The handbill designed by Carl Lundgren for Led Zeppelin's May 16, 1969 gig at Olympia in Detroit shows Spirit (along with Illinois Speed Press) to be the support act, but that concert was rescheduled for the Grande Ballroom, adding support from Sun Ra and Golden Earring.

On February 1,1970 Robert Plant was admitted to Kidderminster Hospital to receive treatment for broken teeth and severe cuts following an automobile accident after he'd gone to a Spirit concert (unsure if the car accident occured before or after the show).

He discharged himself the next day and returned home for rest and recouperation. Led Zeppelin's Feb 7th gig at the Ulster Hall

in Edinburgh was rescheduled for Feb 17th on account of Robert's injuries.

Led Zeppelin would play some Spirit songs, as part of their live repertoire, didn't they? Do you know the names of these Spirit songs they'd perform?

Fresh Garbage is one that comes to mind..

Just to elaborate further, you will usually find "Fresh Garbage" performed in the middle of the "As Long As I Have You"(a Garnet Mimms cover) medleys from the early tours...I believe they dropped it from the set right after the 1969 April-May U.S. tour.

Archived