Oh no, another question about Osaka 29th Sept'71!

nigelss

The first bootleg I ever bought was called "Live In Japan" on The Amazing Kornyphone Record Label (TAKRL 1966). Side one had Tangerine/Moby Dick/Celebration Day and side two had Immigrant Song/Heartbreaker/Stairway To Heaven. The sound was awful with the drums and one cymbal in particular very high in the mix, the audio ran slow, and as each track progressed the stereo deteriorated as one channel faded down. Clearly I had no idea how bad the sound would be when I bought it back in 1976. That said, I loved hearing the chatter between the band members, Bonzo seemingly vanishing - oh the joy as Plant comes out with "f*ck you mate, where'd he go?" - and then buying time playing Tangerine. It also had a terrific drum solo if you like marching bands and silly walks (or Max Wall as Bonzo says).

Needless to say this turned out to be a very early issue of bits of the 29th September'71 Osaka concert. I read that there are now multiple versions available of the complete show, one of which is the Wendy 2012 "Led Zeppelin Regalia 929" digitally remastered 2011 edition. Is this recording as good as it gets?

Thanks,

Nigel

The reason for Bonhams disappearance was due to a stomach ailment. He left the stage to take care of himself , He comes back but he simply didnt want to play. He gets through Friends and WIAWSNB but when its time for his solo he says "loddy dot" (or something close to that its tough to make out) then says "I dont wanna play!!" Plant says "On Drums" and makes a nasty sound. Plant says "On Drums" again and John makes an unintelligible remark then yells "Max Wall" who was a famous comedian in England. Then Plant introduces him as Max Wall Moby Dick John Bonham! John laughs and yells something like up yer ass! and starts Moby Dick.

Plant may have had to goad him into playing but the solo ends up really great. Its not just marching patterns for the entire solo. ICBW but, the marching pattern is used at the beginning to give him something to spark off of and the bits near the end are probably meant to signal the band that hes just about done or is done but they dont come back to the stage so he continues to drag out the marching pattern for a while longer in defiance, at the 17:19 mark he realizes they aren't coming back out so for the next 2 minutes he makes a last ditch effort to make up for his disappearance, once he can no longer keep it up he returns to the marching patterns and the band returns right away as noted by the clapping of the audience and they end it.

I actually have 19 different versions of this show all sound very different. most of them do not include all the onstage banter. Settling on the best version is tough.

I scooped Scorpio's Cellarful of noise at a record fair previous weekend...and gosh, this one s*cks big time.

Unbelievable how this otherwise quality conscious label got it wrong. I'm glad to return to Wendy's first Fatally Wanderer anytime

JIMMMMMMMMM Please dig out yer 929 muti tracks, before we get old !!!!!

I scooped Scorpio's Cellarful of noise at a record fair previous weekend...and gosh, this one s*cks big time.

Unbelievable how this otherwise quality conscious label got it wrong. I'm glad to return to Wendy's first Fatally Wanderer anytime

JIMMMMMMMMM Please dig out yer 929 muti tracks, before we get old !!!!!

cellar full of noise was one of the first vinyls I ever bought. white label test pressing at the wrong speed. I had to spin the table with my finger to hear it. I got pretty good.

Well, it sounds pretty solid to me.

-Warner Pioneer jP commissioned live recordings from the first JP tour (=fact)

-they had a transistorized unit 6 track (probably a typo...it's either 8 or 16 tracks in those days) =fact

-in a november 1971 Percy complained about the horrible balance of these tapes as 'just as bad as a bootleg' =fact

The stereo separation of the 'stage' recording is impossible to capture with a portable deck and stereo mic. It's in fact so focused that even Bonzo's kit is divided left right.

Yep, I'm convinced that's a genuine story. One question remains unanswered, however...The what and whereabouts of the infrequent cuts.

They're not on the obvious places (tape length). Sabotage?

Sources?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived