Favorite bootleg apart from Destroyer?

mojoman282

Since I've Been Loving You is the only song I like from that show. Could it be the piss poor sound leading me to avoiding it? Very likely. It's not too difficult to impress me but that is one of the shows I can't stand listening to. The sound is much too shrill for me. Is there a good performance there? Maybe. I probably haven't given it a fair shot, and until something pops up that sounds better, I am perfectly happy not liking the show.

Since I've Been Loving You is the only song I like from that show. Could it be the piss poor sound leading me to avoiding it? Very likely. It's not too difficult to impress me but that is one of the shows I can't stand listening to. The sound is much too shrill for me. Is there a good performance there? Maybe. I probably haven't given it a fair shot, and until something pops up that sounds better, I am perfectly happy not liking the show.

You know a second source came out about 2 years ago right? It's not a huge improvement, but it's certainly more listenable.

Well jeez, if you find that unlistenable, you probably shouldn't hear the first source. (I can only wonder what the third source would've sounded like if Peter Grant hadn't dumped water on the taper.)

:P

It's just not my cup of tea. I think I had the first source at one point. Oh the recordings that could have survived if Mr. Grant and Mr. Cole didn't go ape shit on every taper they found. :lol:

By 77 my guess is that Grant was having a very limated impact on tapers given how large the concerts where.

I'd tend to agree that Destroyer isnt really that interesting a show, the most memoriable aspect for me is actually Plants banter with the audience. Then again I'm also not a big enough fan of 77 to want everything, the Millard LA recordings and the second much better night in Cleveland make up 95% of my listening from that year.

I really like 24-04-1969 - Dancing Avocado. Even with the technical trouble with the bass rig.

There's something special about that gig.

I have a bit of a soft spot for 07/07/1980 - much better shows were played that year, and in years past, but...it's the last performance of Led Zeppelin in their entirety.

Well, to each his own I guess. Honestly I'd (and I think bamf4k would agree with me on this) rather have a soundboard of Pontiac '77 before a I get a soundboard of Bath.

I fear a soundboard of Pontiac would just sound like the other '77 boards out there, dry and stale. I'd rather the video footage from Pontiac than Bath though if I'm being honest. As far as '77 boards go, I think we will see the May 30th Landover show released in the foreseeable future.

Well, to each his own I guess. Honestly I'd (and I think bamf4k would agree with me on this) rather have a soundboard of Pontiac '77 before a I get a soundboard of Bath.

I fear a soundboard of Pontiac would just sound like the other '77 boards out there, dry and stale. I'd rather the video footage from Pontiac than Bath though if I'm being honest. As far as '77 boards go, I think we will see the May 30th Landover show released in the foreseeable future.

Well right you are Sue, I would really rather have the Pontiac SBD. The footage would be a nice two-for-two.

And Tom, you could be right, it might turn out stale, but I think I'll still hold out hope though because the SBD from just two shows earlier (I think this thread had something to do with that...) sounds great, as does 5/21/77. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bath show, but Pontiac is a far more interesting show to me, especially considering it has the longest (known) live version of my favorite song, Achilles' Last Stand. As for a SBD of 5/30/77, it'd be nice to have. That show has my favorite Kashmir from that tour.

After all of that you pick a 77 soundboard? :P

I don't know if a matrix for Destroyer has been attempted yet. According to rambleonzep, there is only one audience source and it is incomplete.

Thanks Public

OK so you call that a Matrix. I'm learning every day. :lol: So my next question is, how many SBD's have had a "Matrix" treatment and are there any good ones?

Off the top of my head, I know there are Matrixes for these shows:

3-16-73 Vienna

5-31-73 LA Forum

2-12-75 New York

5-25-75 Earl's Court

6-29-80 Zurich

Off the top of my head, I know there are Matrixes for these shows:

3-16-73 Vienna

5-31-73 LA Forum

2-12-75 New York

5-25-75 Earl's Court

6-29-80 Zurich

Vienna is a matrix only for one track, and for parts of two others. So I wouldn't say it really counts.

5 31 73 LA Forum is a matrix, but not one I would recommend. It's done by someone who calls himself Slumpy - he also did a very nice matrix of 5 26 77 Landover MD, and that one I would recommend.

The other three in Strider's list, however, are great, and all are done by someone going by the name of bluecongo.

However, I'd also say that a great SBD bootleg exists for 2 12 75 (Godfather's That's Alright NY); and a SBD fan remaster for 5 25 75 (Liriodendron's Keep Taking the Pills); and a pristine SBD transfer for 6 29 80 (by Weedwacker)- and each of these arguably equals or surpasses bluecongo's matrixes, depending on your taste.

The problem with matrixes is that for the benefit of the added ambience, you get a lot of distortion and other muck added to the sound. It can often muddy and reduce the impact more than it adds to the live feel. Also, often the audience tapes' ambient feel is ruined by very up-front comments from people in the audience who were near the taper. Some people really like that stuff, as it contributes to the authenticity. To me it's the audio equivalent of someone walking in front of you and momentarily blocking the screen when you're at the movie theater.

A lot of purists dislike matrixes, and they dislike any kind of echo processing even more - but I have to say, I almost always prefer a good soundboard, with my own added reverb, to a matrix. If you don't overdo the reverb, you smooth out the vocals, increase the perceived sound quality and impact, and avoid the "they sound like they're playing in a bathroom with no audience" phenomenon that comes from using too much reverb.

YMMV of course.

There is a Seattle March 19th, 1975 Matrix but towards the end it get out of sync and sounds weird. The New York Feb. 12th, 1975 BlueCongo matrix, on the other hand, is awesome! I usually prefer audience recordings because Jimmy's guitar is so much louder.

Destroyer was my first, than Badgeholders was next , both tapes from fellow zep fans in high school back in 10th grade. I asked where they got them, and was told to check out second commng records in the village (I grew up just north of NYC) . From that point on, most of the money I earned went to bootlegs, every weekend we would hop on the train and hit the record shops in the city. Here are some of my favs........

Don't Mess With Texas - Texas International Pop Festival, Lewisville TX, August 31, 1969

We're Gonna Groove/Feel All Right - Montreux 1970

Live on Blueberry Hill - LA 1970

Bonzo's Birthday Party - LA'73

Persistence - San Fran '73 (i remember trading a copy of that tape for Duck Walks & Lazers)

Copenhagen warmups - '79 (i think both nights b low the knebworth gigs away)

Earls Court - the 24th

All the 1980 sound boards are great, anything from "tosted records", I dig Platinum & Dinosuar

There's just so many..........and now with you tube......its just mind blowing!

Opinions on the Winston Remaster of 7/7/1980?

A few points:

- Winston does great work, always. In my view, if Winston does a show, it's usually going to be the best version out there, or at least the second-best version. I can think of only about two or three shows Winston has done, where Winston's is not my go-to version.

- The 1980 soundboards are nice and clear, but very dry, and for some reason, applying a little reverb (which does wonders for dry '73, '75 and '77 soundboards) makes them sound worse. There's only so much anyone can do with these, and the raw transfers (with a little bit of bass EQ) often are the best because they have the most clarity and detail.

- The 7-7-80 concert has sentimental value of course, and it does feature a rare extended version of Whole Lotta Love. But it's not a great show - certainly nothing like 6-29 Zurich or 6-30 Frankfurt (or 6-20 Brussels, which some people like a lot too).

Add all this up, and Winston's version of this show is very good, but nothing special. If I were to have just one version of this show it would be either Winston's, or Weedwacker's pure master transfer, or Godfather's version. Any of those would be just fine.

A few points:

- Winston does great work, always. In my view, if Winston does a show, it's usually going to be the best version out there, or at least the second-best version. I can think of only about two or three shows Winston has done, where Winston's is not my go-to version.

- The 1980 soundboards are nice and clear, but very dry, and for some reason, applying a little reverb (which does wonders for dry '73, '75 and '77 soundboards) makes them sound worse. There's only so much anyone can do with these, and the raw transfers (with a little bit of bass EQ) often are the best because they have the most clarity and detail.

- The 7-7-80 concert has sentimental value of course, and it does feature a rare extended version of Whole Lotta Love. But it's not a great show - certainly nothing like 6-29 Zurich or 6-30 Frankfurt (or 6-20 Brussels, which some people like a lot too).

Add all this up, and Winston's version of this show is very good, but nothing special. If I were to have just one version of this show it would be either Winston's, or Weedwacker's pure master transfer, or Godfather's version. Any of those would be just fine.

What about EVSD's 'Eternal Magic'?

Archived