Favorite bootleg apart from Destroyer?

mojoman282

However, I'd much rather have a good audience for 4.27 than a Sbd for 4.28.

I know why I'd wanna hear a 4/27 audience tape- to hear what's missing on the soundboard recording.

I'm curious to know why others (like Strider and Sue, for example) would want to hear an audience recording, especially considering that the soundboard is damn near perfect (maybe a little too perfect, if ya know what I mean...)

I know why I'd wanna hear a 4/27 audience tape- to hear what's missing on the soundboard recording.

I'm curious to know why others (like Strider and Sue, for example) would want to hear an audience recording, especially considering that the soundboard is damn near perfect (maybe a little too perfect, if ya know what I mean...)

The missing No Quarter is Reason #1 why I want an audience of 4.27.77.

But in regards to your question, I can only speak for myself and say that I prefer a good audience to soundboards because they give a truer picture of the concert: the sound in the hall, the buzz and excitement of the crowd, the loudness of the band.

Soundboards are not 'perfect' to my ears...depending on the source(line? monitor? video track? mixing board?), they may be missing certain effects from Page's guitars...not to mention the natural reverb of the venue.

That's why Jimmy's guitars sound fuller and more like I remember on audience tapes than they do on Soundboard.

I've also never liked the way the audience is so distant on Sbds...as if they weren't even there. It gives a boring, static quality to the performance...as if the band put everyone to sleep.

As rough as it is, I listen to the audience of 6.22.77 more than the Sbd of 4.27.77.

But in regards to your question, I can only speak for myself and say that I prefer a good audience to soundboards because they give a truer picture of the concert: the sound in the hall, the buzz and excitement of the crowd, the loudness of the band.

Soundboards are not 'perfect' to my ears...depending on the source(line? monitor? video track? mixing board?), they may be missing certain effects from Page's guitars...not to mention the natural reverb of the venue.

That's why Jimmy's guitars sound fuller and more like I remember on audience tapes than they do on Soundboard.

I've also never liked the way the audience is so distant on Sbds...as if they weren't even there. It gives a boring, static quality to the performance...as if the band put everyone to sleep.

As rough as it is, I listen to the audience of 6.22.77 more than the Sbd of 4.27.77.

Like Strider, i prefer listening to audience tapes than sounboards too. You can feel the whole audience vibe and venue's reverb through them. A soundboard (especially from mixing boards and videotracks) lacks of the band's energy and it gives sometimes an annoying cranchy sound, which is very noticeable during the landover sbds, as far as 77 tour is concerned....

I would rather listen to the audience tape "What A Bunch of Loonies " 6/14/77 than the poor sounboard of the opening night...

Yes indeedy...I'm convinced the 27/4/77 Boogie Section was similar to the one on 23/4/77 or 19/4/77...I'd love to know for sure.

Like Strider, i prefer listening to audience tapes than sounboards too. You can feel the whole audience vibe and venue's reverb through them. A soundboard (especially from mixing boards and videotracks) lacks of the band's energy and it gives sometimes an annoying cranchy sound, which is very noticeable during the landover sbds, as far as 77 tour is concerned....

I would rather listen to the audience tape "What A Bunch of Loonies " 6/14/77 than the poor sounboard of the opening night...

Amen...I was beginning to think people thought I was some kinda freak for preferring audience tapes to soundboards...good to see I'm not alone on that score!

Yes indeedy...I'm convinced the 27/4/77 Boogie Section was similar to the one on 23/4/77 or 19/4/77...I'd love to know for sure.

Amen...I was beginning to think people thought I was some kinda freak for preferring audience tapes to soundboards...good to see I'm not alone on that score!

That's why I typically try to go for matrices instead of one or the other. Also, on a side note, has anyone heard the Winston Remaster of 1973/07/27?

Good point, Sue.

On that basis it wouldn't surprise me to see EVSD pull Baton Rouge or Greensboro outta the hat one of these days. They had Houston, after all (no corresponding audience recording there, either) and that came out, what, seven years ago?

A Birmingham soundboard would be nice...that is an excellent performance.

I'm waiting for that day, Nutrocker!

The "Hypothetically" thread is still getting some hits. Been almost a year.

Archived