Are you ever too old to learn to play an instrument?

SweetLittleBaby

You have hundreds of teachers readily available to you on YouTube. Stop procrastinating. It's worth the effort! ;)

I'm in my 40's, started playing less than 2 years ago, been just me and YouTube all the way! Working on "The Rain Song" and "That's the Way" right now. Taking lessons is never a bad thing though. Long & McQuade has some good teachers.

I agree with pretty much everyone here.

I got a friend at college who is 40 and usually says: "old is just a state of mind".

So if you wanna do something, get to it and do it. Don't worry about your age.

I took up some guitar lessons before, but due to lack of time and coordination I couldn't learn it well.

But I'm planning to retake lessons so I'll become a good player - though what I really want to learn is bass. And I'm currently 25, which means it'll take a while for me to accomplish these goals. But I don't mind, as long as I get to learn. I wanna learn an instrument and form/join a band not while I'm young, but while I'm ALIVE, which is what matters in the end.

You have hundreds of teachers readily available to you on YouTube. Stop procrastinating. It's worth the effort! ;)

Yes I agree. But need to buy a guitar first. :) Any recommendations on a starter guitar? Wondering how much $$$ I should expect to pay. Don't want anything top of the line but something decent to learn on for now.

"old is just a state of mind".

It is and it isn't. It all ties to brain development and, specifically, the brain's ability to forge new neural pathways. The younger you are, the more malleable (and apt to learn) your brain is. (Everyone should try reading up on the neuroscientific studies they're currently conducting - it's some of the most important science being pursued right now, and might totally change your understanding of the world.)

While it isn't impossible to learn to play an instrument later in life, people should obviously be prepared for the reality with which they'll be faced: It's highly unlikely you'll become a middle-aged virtuoso; competence is a reasonable goal.

Yes I agree. But need to buy a guitar first. :) Any recommendations on a starter guitar? Wondering how much $$$ I should expect to pay. Don't want anything top of the line but something decent to learn on for now.

I'm fairly sure most any guitar will do, so long as you don't buy one made of cardboard. :P You should be able to buy a decent beginner guitar for about $100.

What would you like to play, electric or acoustic guitar? I don't exactly agree with the "so long as you don't buy one made of cardboard." comment. Yes, you're looking for a starter guitar, but don't buy something that is going to discourage you from playing. At least buy a guitar with a reputable name. And buy used, imo.

What would you like to play, electric or acoustic guitar? I don't exactly agree with the "so long as you don't buy one made of cardboard." comment. Yes, you're looking for a starter guitar, but don't buy something that is going to discourage you from playing. At least buy a guitar with a reputable name. And buy used, imo.

Acoustic for starters. Just want to learn some songs. Music is medicine to my soul. The the first song I want to learn how to play - Ten Years Gone by Zeppelin. So beautiful.

Thanks for the tips. I agree, a decent enough guitar at a price range of around $100 is what I was expecting.

Hey Patrizia, I was at a Long and McQuade last week in TO...(They gotta have one in Ottawa). Anyway, the Fender acoustics with pick-up's, already in them, were a steal! i could not believe the price/quaility. They played great and sounded great...under $200 bones. I forget the model number but they'd help you out. ....and P.S.- It's good to get an actual human to get you started with the basic chords, but youtube lessons are amazing. When i was a kid i learned everything by "dropping the neddle"...took a while.....now I go to youtube and there is someone who has taken the time to pull apart alomost any song you can think of.....amazing and time saving.....hope you take it up.....playing music will open your life up to even more amazing and fun experiences....ciao, Rich

Thanks Rich. I just googled and yes, I have a Long and McQuade in my city. Will go check them out tomorrow. I'll ask about that fender you mentioned however I have no idea what "pickups already in them" or "dropping the needle" means. Yup, I'm a newbie! I will definitely need some short term lessons to get going. Wouldn't even know if my guitar was out of tune so the lessons will be beneficial. Cheers, P.

Hey Patrizia, I was at a Long and McQuade last week in TO...(They gotta have one in Ottawa). Anyway, the Fender acoustics with pick-up's, already in them, were a steal! i could not believe the price/quaility. They played great and sounded great...under $200 bones. I forget the model number but they'd help you out. ....and P.S.- It's good to get an actual human to get you started with the basic chords, but youtube lessons are amazing. When i was a kid i learned everything by "dropping the neddle"...took a while.....now I go to youtube and there is someone who has taken the time to pull apart alomost any song you can think of.....amazing and time saving.....hope you take it up.....playing music will open your life up to even more amazing and fun experiences....ciao, Rich

Is this the fender you saw? http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/17065/Guitars/Accessories/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Fender_DG-60_Acoustic_-_Black.htm

Sorry, I was showing my age..."dropping the needle" refers to when I was a kid I had to drop the needle down onto the record. listen to a bit of music, and then lift the needle off the record and then try to play the part-then I would repeat this process 100 times lol.....as for the reference to "the pickups" that just meant that some acoustic guitars come with a pick up in them that you can then plug into an amp....if you are starting out, don't worry about that for now. My advice, as I have said to others is 1) have an idea of your budget 2) then have the sales person let you try out a few guitars in your price range (even ask about the used guitars on site),I know you may not know any chords just yet but you shoud make sure that your hand feels ok on the neck of the guitar. Some necks are fatter and if you have smaller hands it could be a hinderance to learning and enjoying. Also,the body of the guitar has to feel good too.......Sorry to sound like I am going overboard but you'll see what I mean once you try out a bunch.

Music store staff are almost always great people and they will take care of you. Long and McQuade is a reputable chain across Canada. I go to them all the time myself. You would be in good hands.....The photo of the Fender you sent would be fine but try out a bunch before you pull the trigger. If you have anyone in your circle, who plays or has a friend that plays, talk to them too for their opinion. Knowledge is power....or at least I think that is what they say.....If you need any help you know where I am lol....ciao Rich

Acoustic for starters. Just want to learn some songs. Music is medicine to my soul. The the first song I want to learn how to play - Ten Years Gone by Zeppelin. So beautiful.

Thanks for the tips. I agree, a decent enough guitar at a price range of around $100 is what I was expecting.

Ten Years Gone-that's a beauty!....here is an example of a youtube lesson....there are millions of them...all you gotta do is type the song name and add lesson and you will see all sorts...ciao, Rich

Archived