Julian Assange

betteremily

Julian Assange is currently waiting to know whether he'll be granted asylum in Ecuador.

Latest Update:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/9351182/Julian-Assange-Ecuadorean-ambassador-flies-home-for-talks-on-WikiLeaks-founder.html

I'm not sure why this isn't a topic of conversation here as it is quite important to any person in any pocket of the world. As good humanitarians, it's time we claim our position on the matter. Let's practice some of that democracy and keep irate dialogue to a minimum.

So what do you guys think? Should he be extradited to Sweden for questioning on the rape accusations, or should he be granted asylum in Ecuador?

Personally, I'm praying for the guy. I hope he gets asylum but I don't believe even there he'd be safe.

I find it ironic Julian Assange seeks sanctuary in a country where the suppression of information is a flagship government policy. What was Julian saying before this unpleasantness began? “We [WikiLeaks] are free press activists. It’s about giving people the information they need. That is the raw ingredient that is needed to make a just and civil society. Without that you are just sailing in the dark. I have tried to invent a system that solves the problem of censorship across the whole world.”

Yet we already know it wasn't censorship he was interested in attacking. I'd like to see him extradited to Sweden for questioning on the rape allegations and then, following the outcome, placed into the custody of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

His next book will include an attack on the "open data" movement. In one cautionary example, the Indian state of Karnataka put millions of property records online in the name of convenience and transparency.

"The wealthy and the powerful used this new data to evict the poor, find the right people to bribe and so forth," Morozov said. "The moral of the story here is that transparency and efficiency should not be pursued for their own sake. They should serve as enabling factors to other goods and values."

Edited by Anjin-san

I have to say I agree with Steve on this one. I am all for full disclosure and reporting government malfeasance, however when the reporting itself may be the cause of loss of life that is where I draw the line. If he was simply exposing the duplicity of the US government or even treasonous behavior on the part of administration members, that's fine. However, just like when Karl Rove helped expose Valerie Plame as a CIA field asset, this is no different. In a perfect world I would like to see this guy and Karl Rove on trial together. Alas, this will never happen, at least not to Rove.

• 1 month later...

So what.

I'm on the side that thinks the US probabley is involved with these Swedish allegations on some level but looking for aslymn in a nation that stands for everything he's supposidly agenst doesnt look good and gives ammo to those who claim Wikileaks real agenda has always been political(anti US) in nature.

Don't let the alleged rape in Sweden fool you, it's the USA that wants to extradite him after the Sweden case. That's what he's really fighting. The United States is built on lies and deception as well as rewards it. Kids could do a better job in Congress.

First of all, the last electric chair in the U.S. was put to pasture years ago...so there will be no "frying".

Second, although i agree this is a ploy to get him to the States to face trial, there will be nobody seeking the death penalty for espionage. Even a U.S. soldier recently arrested for sharing top secret documents is facing prison time only.

If Assange is so positive that what he did was right, he should be able to defend his actions in court!

>Principles are irrelevant when your life's potentially at stake.<

How so?What a minute, jolly old Jilian is about principles? Isn't he?Free speech,disclosure,transparency?Right?

>If I thought the USA might fry me,<

How are they going to 'fry' him?I'll wait,...

>I'd happily go and live in North Korea.

Go lad!And join the other North Koreans posting here,....

>Don't let the alleged rape in Sweden fool you,<

Assange has enough money to fight that,no?Money talks,....

>it's the USA that wants to extradite him after the Sweden case. That's what he's really fighting. The United States is built on lies and deception as well as rewards it. Kids could do a better job in Congress.<

Your right,the US is built​ on lies? Initially?Or now?

<_<

>Don't understand how you think you've negated my point about principles being irrelevant.<

It's a recurrent theme,...

Wasn't Jilian point or mission about principles?Did you miss that?I think you and his followers did,....nothing new.

>Ok, maybe not 'fry', but execute in some other barbaric manner.<

How so?You offer no proof on the matter.

>So far, the US has failed to confirm that they will not seek the death penalty.<

For what?Do you -even- know US Laws,let alone US military ones?

>Not sure why you use the word 'even'. I would've thought the US would be far more reluctant to fry their own brave soldiers than some Johnny Foreigner.<

Pardon?NATO forces have been fried right along with US,....

Johnny Assange?Please explain,....

:wall:

Anyway, moving on...

The next issue of course is how to get him out of the building & onto a plane. It has been suggested he could be put into an inviolable diplomatic bag.

Either that, or maybe get a helicopter to hover above the embassy & haul him up from the roof...and then zoom off to a waiting jet at some private airfield. James Bond stuff. The acid test here would be whether our brave puppets would decide to shoot it down, in order to preserve our 'Special (One-Way) Relationship'. Hmmm....

And then?

:wall:

Anyway, moving on...

The next issue of course is how to get him out of the building & onto a plane. It has been suggested he could be put into an inviolable diplomatic bag.

Either that, or maybe get a helicopter to hover above the embassy & haul him up from the roof...and then zoom off to a waiting jet at some private airfield. James Bond stuff. The acid test here would be whether our brave puppets would decide to shoot it down, in order to preserve our 'Special (One-Way) Relationship'. Hmmm....

Thanks for NOT answering.Well done!

I personally think Assange should stop being a coward and turn himself in. If the U.S. government wants him so be it. What does he expect after posting sensitive government documents online? He knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to spill secrets. He is not an idiot. What else does he want to expose? I am for freedom of speech but I also don't want my personal information to be made public, such as my social security number or my income tax information or my bank account info. That would fall under the heading of freedom of speech. That would also be very irresponsible. IMPO he is a paranoid douchebag.

Now, I expect you're saying, "Well that's all fine & dandy, MM - but where's this theory you were banging on about?" Coming right up, folks!:

Rewind to 'some time between 17 and 20 August', when "Miss W" and "Miss A" are 'in contact'. Could this possibly have been the gist of their conversation?:

"Miss A": "You know what, "Miss W"? I wasn't going to tell anyone, and you must keep this to yourself...but Julian and I made passionate love after his lecture on 14 August! And he's such a stud - he even came back for more the next morning! He told me I was very special, and he thinks we might have something going now! Isn't that wonderful?"

"Miss W": "What?!?!? That's exactly what he told me after our torrid session on 17 August !!!!!!!"

"Miss A" and "Miss W", in unison: "The dirty, filthy, stinking love rat !!!! How can we get back at him?"

...or possibly this...

"Miss A": "You know what, "Miss W"? I wasn't going to tell anyone, and you must keep this to yourself...but Julian raped me after his lecture on 14 August!"

"Miss W": "What?!?!? That's exactly what he tried to do to me on 17 August !!!!!!!"

"Miss A" and "Miss W", in unison: "We must do something. He must be stopped."

Possibly.

And if so, their understandable distress might also explain how, when they tried to call the cops, they accidentally hit a wrong number & found themselves speaking to a journalist instead...

Apparently they did discuss what happened with a journalist before going to the police...but the fact remains they did go to the police (initially to inquire if Assange could be compelled to undertake an HIV test) and then to levy rape allegations. Perhaps their primary concern was for their health and their secondary concern that justice be served. They must have realized (or been advised) if they levied rape allegations from the start then Assange would be likely to flee and thus never consent to an HIV test.

Galloway and those who spout rubbish about what “real rape” really is (ie nothing other than that committed by a stranger wielding a knife who attacks a virgin) are not rape apologists, but rape deniers. Most rape falls into the category that Galloway has decided is simply “bad sexual etiquette”, ergo most women are lying, and most men are the victims of spurious accusations from women who should read up on rape legislation.“ - Julie Bindel