Led Zeppelin and Religion: A fan's perspective

DAS

I agree with you.

I know you probably weren't referring to me regarding crowley, J.P and the band.

Just wanted you yo know by me mentioning that has nothing to do with me believing it as evil or even religious.

Thats what I was meaning to say anyway. :)

Hi All.

Just to add to the mix.

I was given this by Jimmy in the mid 1970's. It say's, 'TO TONY, GOD BLESS, YOUR FRIEND,JjIMMY PAGE'.

Which explains a little about Zeppelin and religion.

Regards

ZISH.

post-20307-0-68002200-1412266285_thumb.j

Hi All.

Just to add to the mix.

I was given this by Jimmy in the mid 1970's. It say's, 'TO TONY, GOD BLESS, YOUR FRIEND,JjIMMY PAGE'.

Regards

ZISH.

That's awesome Zish.

Jimmy's mate gets a God Bless you. :D

Hi All.

Just to add to the mix.

Regards

ZISH.

Love this, thanks for sharing, ZISH! :D

Hi All.

Just to add to the mix.

Regards

ZISH.

What does it explain? He said "God bless" but that doesn't prove he's religious! It's a common enough turn of phrase. He also said "your friend" but I bet you've never been out for a beer with him. Sorry if this sound a bit harsh.

I probably shouldn't say anything, but I am disturbed by what seems like an undercurrent of ignorance and fear in some of the remarks in this thread.

First of all, if you are an intelligent person (a big "if") and you've been following what Page has actually said directly or indirectly about his views on religion, spirituality, etc. over the years, you have a pretty good idea of what he believes or follows or is at least interested in. You would not need to speculate. I'm not going to say anything more about it.

As for the blah blah blah about "devil worship" I know a few Satanists and the so-called "devil" they worship is metaphorical, symbolic. I couldn't care less if Page is a Satanist or not. It wouldn't mean that he practiced human sacrifice or any of the other imagined ridiculosities that are part of a fear-mongering that benefits some other groups, who apparently need to promote themselves by instigating fear against those who believe differently. As for selling one's "soul" to the devil, I am absolutely sure many people here would do so if it were possible and would result in benefits including becoming a kick-ass guitar player, getting more chicks, or something else they wanted. Sadly there is no entity named the "Devil" who can grant these wishes, just like there is no Santa Claus, more's the pity.

I probably shouldn't say anything, but I am disturbed by what seems like an undercurrent of ignorance and fear in some of the remarks in this thread.

First of all, if you are an intelligent person (a big "if") and you've been following what Page has actually said directly or indirectly about his views on religion, spirituality, etc. over the years, you have a pretty good idea of what he believes or follows or is at least interested in. You would not need to speculate. I'm not going to say anything more about it.

As for the blah blah blah about "devil worship" I know a few Satanists and the so-called "devil" they worship is metaphorical, symbolic. I couldn't care less if Page is a Satanist or not. It wouldn't mean that he practiced human sacrifice or any of the other imagined ridiculosities that are part of a fear-mongering that benefits some other groups, who apparently need to promote themselves by instigating fear against those who believe differently. As for selling one's "soul" to the devil, I am absolutely sure many people here would do so if it were possible and would result in benefits including becoming a kick-ass guitar player, getting more chicks, or something else they wanted. Sadly there is no entity named the "Devil" who can grant these wishes, just like there is no Santa Claus, more's the pity.

You say you know a few Satanists like you'd say you know a couple of mechanics.... :huh::lol: May I ask, how does someone come to know a few Satanists? :lol:

On topic, I am not religious but I am not against old blues songs written by religious blues musicians which were then later recorded and performed by Led Zeppelin. :D I love Led Zeppelin's music. What their individual religious beliefs may be are irrelevant to me. Personal beliefs are just that, personal.

What does it explain? He said "God bless" but that doesn't prove he's religious! It's a common enough turn of phrase. He also said "your friend" but I bet you've never been out for a beer with him. Sorry if this sound a bit harsh.

Hey babysquid.

The photo was just to add to the thread. It was not to prove anything. The one thing you are right about, is that it is a common enough turn of phrase. As far as bet on my going out for a beer with Jimmy, I would not bet more than you could afford. You never know who is writing on this very fine site.

ZISH.

Hi ScarletMacaw.

I must agree with you.

ZISH.

You say you know a few Satanists like you'd say you know a couple of mechanics.... :huh::lol: May I ask, how does someone come to know a few Satanists? :lol:

On topic, I am not religious but I am not against old blues songs written by religious blues musicians which were then later recorded and performed by Led Zeppelin. :D I love Led Zeppelin's music. What their individual religious beliefs may be are irrelevant to me. Personal beliefs are just that, personal.

Do not understand this response. Do you mean, I "know" Satanists in the sense I would refer someone to them, the way I'd refer someone with car trouble to a mechanic? Kind of a curious remark; I cannot make any sense of it...as for how does someone come to know a few Satanists...the same ways that people come to know other sorts of people (?)

Do not understand this response. Do you mean, I "know" Satanists in the sense I would refer someone to them, the way I'd refer someone with car trouble to a mechanic? Kind of a curious remark; I cannot make any sense of it...as for how does someone come to know a few Satanists...the same ways that people come to know other sorts of people (?)

I can't speak for lipslikecherries or others, but maybe she is just asking how you met these 'few satanists'?

May I ask Is it just by chance through life you met them or did you actively seek out a satanist group of friends?

You don't have to answer these questions, I'm just curious that's all. Either way it's no big deal to me.

Also, do you think that no satanists make human sacrifices? I'm not talking about Jimmy Page here, I'm talking about some satanists.

Or would such a thing come under the imagined ridiculosities as you put it?

I respect your opinion and views no matter what it is so please don't think I'm challenging you.

I can't speak for lipslikecherries or others, but maybe she is just asking how you met these 'few satanists'?

May I ask Is it just by chance through life you met them or did you actively seek out a satanist group of friends?

You don't have to answer these questions, I'm just curious that's all. Either way it's no big deal to me.

Also, do you think that no satanists make human sacrifices? I'm not talking about Jimmy Page here, I'm talking about some satanists.

Or would such a thing come under the imagined ridiculosities as you put it?

I respect your opinion and views no matter what it is so please don't think I'm challenging you.

In ancient times, Hittites, Mayans and some others practiced human sacrifice, to some god or other that they believed in, not Satan as this was a concept developed initially under Judeo-Christian beliefs that came later. I am aware that there have been serial killers in the US who claimed they were Satanists, but actually had no ties to any Satanic group. I think they thought it would help their criminal defense to claim "the devil made me do it" or maybe they were looking for more publicity. I have no knowledge of human sacrifice performed by any Satanist group.

What I really have here is a question for two types of people I'm sure are on the board. The devoutly religious and the devoutly non-religious. This is not a question for people who don't care either way. And here it is:

To the non-religious: How do you feel about the religious content in Led Zeppelin's songs? Does it bother you to listen to songs like In My Time Of Dying and Nobody's Fault But Mine (as well as various things in medleys such as John Paul Jones playing Amazing Grace) or do you just not listen to these songs?

To the religious: How do you feel about the pagan content in Led Zeppelin's songs? Does it bother you to listen to songs like Immigrant Song and Achilles Last Stand or do you just not listen to these songs?

It does not bother me. I do not know where each member stands individually at this time? I have little doubt that at some point Plant or Page had to be Christian to some degree. The words "meet me Jesus meet me, meet me in the middle of the air, if my wings should fail me Lord, please meet me with another pair". are about as Christian as you can get. Or when he calls upon the angel Gabriel and St Peter. I think the members are spiritual. I do not think they are atheists by any means. For the record I am a devout Catholic. And I do believe that Jesus is the son of God. And I believe that God must have given Led Zeppelin the absolute magic that they have as musicians.

By the way I just read through this entire thread, and it is hilarious!

As for my personal beliefs, I'm interested in gnosticism.

Though not Christian in the usual sense, I enjoy singing hymns, especially "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" which is a kick-ass piece of music! and could not be more religious.

Someone who wouldn't listen to, or sing, songs that take lyrics from belief systems they don't share probably have personality problems. Unless the lyrics are directly advocating doing something you don't believe in, why would you care? There is a difference between "descriptive" and "prescriptive." "Immigrant Song" is written from the perspective of a looting, bloodthirsty Viking, but that doesn't mean Robert Plant is advocating "fighting the horde" etc. He is adopting the persona of a Viking in order to sing a song about them. It's called writing in the first person. If you don't understand that perhaps you didn't get past the 7th grade in English class?

Hey babysquid.

The photo was just to add to the thread. It was not to prove anything. The one thing you are right about, is that it is a common enough turn of phrase. As far as bet on my going out for a beer with Jimmy, I would not bet more than you could afford. You never know who is writing on this very fine site.

ZISH.

Of course that's very true. Regarding your going out for a beer with Jimmy it was just a guess based on what people write when signing photos, books, Lps etc... But it was still just a guess and for all I know you could be Jimmy's best mate, plumber, milkman or pub landlord (that would really sink my argument!)

That photo's a cool thing to have and thank you for sharing it with us. And yes this is a fine site.

God bless you ZISH

It does not bother me. I do not know where each member stands individually at this time? I have little doubt that at some point Plant or Page had to be Christian to some degree. The words "meet me Jesus meet me, meet me in the middle of the air, if my wings should fail me Lord, please meet me with another pair". are about as Christian as you can get. Or when he calls upon the angel Gabriel and St Peter. I think the members are spiritual. I do not think they are atheists by any means. For the record I am a devout Catholic. And I do believe that Jesus is the son of God. And I believe that God must have given Led Zeppelin the absolute magic that they have as musicians.

Nice post LedZeppfan77.

ZISH

Of course that's very true. Regarding your going out for a beer with Jimmy it was just a guess based on what people write when signing photos, books, Lps etc... But it was still just a guess and for all I know you could be Jimmy's best mate, plumber, milkman or pub landlord (that would really sink my argument!)

That photo's a cool thing to have and thank you for sharing it with us. And yes this is a fine site.

God bless you ZISH

Hi babysquid.

Thank you for the nice post, it is a lovely item to have and it's a pleasure to share to share it. Your Friend,

ZISH. ;O)

I know exactly who Zish is. Suffice to say he is authentic.

Hi SteveAJones.

Thank you for that but please don't say any more then that though. I am trying to just listen and enjoy the site, without getting too involved. There was a problem in the past, which I do not want repeated.

Again, Thank you.

Kind regards

ZISH.

Hi SteveAJones.

Thank you for that but please don't say any more then that though. I am trying to just listen and enjoy the site, without getting too involved. There was a problem in the past, which I do not want repeated.

Again, Thank you.

Kind regards

ZISH.

As always, it's a pleasure to see you posting here. Many thanks for posting your personal treasure! Hope all is well!

:)

If Richard Cole was such a hated villain of the band when all was said and done, why was he a backstage guest at the 02 reunion concert?

Burying the hatchet? Letting bygones be bygones? Choose your cliche. Richard Cole was an integral part of the the Zep organization back in the day.

JPJ and Page both sang in church choirs as lads so I assume they learned some of the common Anglican hymns. However, Plant was the band's primary lyricist.

Archived