Ever bought an album and thought...Oh no !

joe (Liverpool)

I did, I had one Mahavishnu Orchestra album (Birds of Fire) and I liked it then I bought another(Between nothingness and eternity) and played it once......It's still in the sleeve, never been played again. It's the only album I have ever bought that I didn't like.Anybody had a similar experience?

Elvis Costello - The Juliet Letters.

I was a big EC fan when this came out, but when I listened to it, I was utterly disappointed.

Nowadays, what with most music being available on Youtube, I can generally get a good enough sense as to whether or not I'll like an album before purchasing it. But back in 1993 that was clearly not an option. I sort of had to go on faith.

My two most memorable are "The Cult" album. I think The Cult were THE most under-rated band in rock and roll. Brilliant albums starting with "love" followed by "Electric", Sonic Temple" and "Ceremony". Then came this stinker. I listened to it once...hated it. tried again a few years later - nope, still stinks!

The other was "A Fine Pick Mist" by Jake E. Lee, former Ozzy and Badlands guitarist. Solo albums are not his forte'.

R.E.M. "Out of Time".

At that point in time(1991) I was still a reasonable fan of REM...I didn't worship them, but I liked them enough that I would buy their records when they were released. I had heard the advanced single "Losing My Religion" and liked it, so I had expectations when I bought the album. Which were dashed by the first song, "Radio Song". What a tired piece of schlock...oh, I forgot to mention that it features KRS-One. Yawn. In a misguided bid for street cred, REM jumped on the rock-meets-rap bandwagon, following in the footsteps of Aerosmith/Run DMC and Anthrax/Public Enemy. REM's was the worst by far. Then there's the horror of "Shiny Happy People", which should be used to torture Al Queda suspects. The entire album is a slab of blah...I even tired of "Losing My Religion".

Other "slap my head what was I thinking?" moments in my record buying history:

Deep Purple's "Machine Head", The Doors "American Prayer", Pink Floyd's "Final Cut", and the first Asia album. Asia? Really, Strider? Really? What the fuck was I thinking?!?

I don't think "Radio Song" was an attempt at "street cred" as they has been friends with KRS-One long before that. And, while I certainly understand that a lot of folks don't like "Shiny Happy People" it's far from my least favorite R.E.M. song. Out of Time may not be my favorite R.E.M. record, nor do I hate it. Some of my favorite tracks from it include "Belong", "Half A World Away" and "Country Feedback". I love the version of "Country Feedback" they did with Neil Young at one of his Bridge School Benefits back in '98 which was recently released on a Bridge School best of CD/DVD. That tune would make definitely be considered one of my favorite R.E.M. tracks, ever.

http://youtu.be/IgYUOufehQU

I bought an album by a band called Automatic Fine Tuning. They looked hippy types and the tracks lasted 15 mins and were called weird names. Looked promising. After 1 listen it was like spending a week on a desert island with only Pete Townsend for company.

White noise by errr White Noise unsurprisingly. It was like having tinnitus. And I know tinnitus - I've seen Jeff Beck live !!

Major Major,

I actually do like "Dreamtime".....after all it does have "Spiritwalker" on it......but it was more a hit or miss album with songs like "Go West".

The Cult always seemed to put on an amazing live show, but to hear that the one promoting "The Cult" album was exceptional is a surprise to me! Their last two releases are actually pretty good!

Nobody's mentioned ITTOD yet.

I still can't understand how someone could not like this album who is a Led Zeppelin fan. It had a different sound for sure but not enough so to dislike it if you like the rest of their stuff imo.

I still can't understand how someone could not like this album who is a Led Zeppelin fan. It had a different sound for sure but not enough so to dislike it if you like the rest of their stuff imo.

Don't mind him, it's just Major X 2 trolling again.

I always kind of liked the various U2 hits that were played on the radio, but never cared enough to purchase an album.

In '91, there was a lot of uproar over Achtung Baby coming out.

It sucked.

I got this crazy idea that Joan Baez might be as talented as Joni Mitchell given they were hanging around a lot of the same influences and time period as they gained popularity. I heard the song, Time Rag on an FM station circa 1978, liked it and took a chance on this album below. The cover should have been the first tip-off that this was a risky venture.(!)

41X72VZMWRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the song that made me buy my first and what will surely be my last Joan Baez record.

I'm not exactly the world's biggest Joan Baez fan or anything but I wouldn't let one album purchase you were dissatisfied with deter you from buying any of her other records. A number of years ago I saw her during the traveling version of the Newport Folk Festival when it came to Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh and really enjoyed Joan's set much more than I was expecting to. Her impersonation of Dylan (which was dead on, btw) had everyone rolling in the aisles. Not long afterwards she released an album of covers called Dark Chords From A Big Guitar which featured the works of Ryan Adams, Caitlin Cary, Steve Earle, Natalie Merchant, Gillian Welch and others that was pretty impressive. I'm not sure if it would change your opinion of her but I'd hate to see someone write her off just because of one album they didn't particularly care for.

^ When I saw you responded on this thread, I thought your answer would be "no"! Glad I wasn't disappointed....;) I believe, even though I haven't read it due to the ignore function, the point of this thread was to tell about a disc you wished you'd hadn't purchased, not to convince people to give things a second chance. Let them vent....they already paid for it! :)

I'm not exactly the world's biggest Joan Baez fan or anything but I wouldn't let one album purchase you were dissatisfied with deter you from buying any of her other records. A number of years ago I saw her during the traveling version of the Newport Folk Festival when it came to Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh and really enjoyed Joan's set much more than I was expecting to. Her impersonation of Dylan (which was dead on, btw) had everyone rolling in the aisles. Not long afterwards she released an album of covers called Dark Chords From A Big Guitar which featured the works of Ryan Adams, Caitlin Cary, Steve Earle, Natalie Merchant, Gillian Welch and others that was pretty impressive. I'm not sure if it would change your opinion of her but I'd hate to see someone write her off just because of one album they didn't particularly care for.

Hi Walter, I don't mind at all Jahfin suggesting I give her a second look.

Jahfin, I wanted to like the record but she's a hard one to figure out. Here's why I'm stumped by my dislike of her music. I know lyrically she is a poet in the vein of Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Yet unlike those 3 artists who have each at minimum written well over 200-300 songs during their careers, Joan has penned about 60+ or so. Impressive, but not in the same league.

Yet, she has released since she got started in 1959 over 35 albums in various compilations which exceeds Joni and is close to Neil's album output and I'd wager Dylan's album output as well. So, she has to have an extremely loyal fanbase and reasonable sales for the record companies to keep putting out her work, right? She is still active as well, like Neil. And like Neil (who you might know is my all time fave after the Zep boys) she only managed to have one hit single, The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down, which isn't an original either. Neil had Heart of Gold.

I'm thinking she is a good lyricist, a good guitarist and nope can't say it....it's the vocals. I think that's my problem. Just like some don't like Neil's nasal voice or Joni's high pitch (pre smoking) or throaty pitch (more recent). Yes, think it must just come down to her vocals.

Although, if I can find the one album you mentioned on you/tube I will give it a listen. Could be surprised. Sorry to take the extra post slot here but wanted to explain how shocked I was that the album was no good after imagining her on the same level as Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. Then again, Judy Collins isn't anyone I bought a record of either, maybe it all goes back to liking or disliking folk music. Well, certainly made this a Ramble On topic! Thanks for letting me elaborate.

Missy, understood. I don't own any of Joan's records myself because, like I said, I'm never exactly been a huge fan of her myself. To my ears she was always a bit too folkie (in the traditional sense) but I have heard some stuff of hers over the years that I've liked. As for her ratio of original material vs. covers, I haven't done the math but I'm thinking Emmylou Harris' work might weigh out somewhere close to that as she's probably known more as an interpretor of others' material than a songwriter.

Back to Joan, here's her cover of Ryan Adams' "In My Time of Need" from Dark Chords From A Big Guitar:

....and just for comparison's sake here's Ryan performing a live version of the song: