Country Living/City Living

chillumpuffer

I paid a visit to my home city on saturday night. It never fails to amaze me how crowded cities are at night now. A far cry from going to gigs in the 70's when you felt like the only people who were there had gone to the show. I now live in the Peak Distict which is as beautiful a place as you can find in England.

When we got off the train at home it was so quiet and peaceful, a far cry from the bedlam we had just left.

What do people think. Live in the city and visit the country or vice versa?

The view from my bedroom window:

post-4226-0-91964600-1341219999.jpg

I lived in Cornwall for almost 10 years, by that time I hated it, the Cornish people are so fucking stupid you wouldn't believe it, they also hate "Townies" and "Emmets" all of whom enable them to pay their bills. I returned to Liverpool, and have never regretted it, I went back last year to visit my brother and I couldn't believe it. I'm so glad that I live in the city again.

Funny, we were just having this conversation at the lunch table at work the other day.

Personally, I am glad I didn't raise/educate my kids in a city. The last statistic I heard about Worcester was as follows: in 2006-7 or around there, there were 23,000 kids in the public schools, and 2/3 of them lived below poverty. However, I would prefer to live in one now, closer to Boston.

• 4 months later...

I live in a small town surrounded by other small towns. But I am only an hour from Boston or Portland Maine (great little city). My fave trip to a "big city" is when I go to Portsmouth NH, haha! Maybe 20,000 people! (ten times the population of my town).

I love the country, the big city just kind of stresses me out, puts me on edge.

Live in the city, but would love to live in the country for peace and quiet if that's possible. In Florida, it's a challenge to find either - the ATVs (quad bikes to Brits), motor homes and power boats follow you to the country.

Chillumpuffer, I'm just gazing at the photo of your garden and getting some vicarious tranquility. Oh, to be in England... I don't mind if it's chilly there now.

I've lived in the Country, town, City, suburbs, and on the coast

Living in the suburbs or countryside was the worst. Miles away from everything and everyone, have to drive everywhere, all your money goes on filling up the car

The coast is good in the Summer, I love the beach. In the Autumn and Winter it has a strange, empty, lonely feel. Most big cities are too crowded; full of pollution and filth, police cars everywhere every 5 minutes

A place on the outskirts of town is best for me!

Live in the city, but would love to live in the country for peace and quiet if that's possible. In Florida, it's a challenge to find either - the ATVs (quad bikes to Brits), motor homes and power boats follow you to the country.

Chillumpuffer, I'm just gazing at the photo of your garden and getting some vicarious tranquility. Oh, to be in England... I don't mind if it's chilly there now.

It is incredibly tranquil Fireopal. We have a train station ( a platform really) 10 minutes walk where we can be in Manchester in 45 mins. Trains every hour until the last one leaves the City at 11.15. I enjoy a visit to Manchester every now and then for shopping or dining but it is a relief to breathe the country air. Here is a picture of a winters scene from the garden

post-4226-0-21845300-1352845757_thumb.jp

It is incredibly tranquil Fireopal. We have a train station ( a platform really) 10 minutes walk where we can be in Manchester in 45 mins. Trains every hour until the last one leaves the City at 11.15. I enjoy a visit to Manchester every now and then for shopping or dining but it is a relief to breathe the country air. Here is a picture of a winters scene from the garden

post-4226-0-21845300-1352845757_thumb.jp

That's lovely too - thanks! I've not yet visited Manchester the city - I hope to one day, as I'm a Smiths fan. I landed at the airport once and was pleased to see how "the country" seemed to start immediately outside the city limits. Very bucolic and peaceful.

That's lovely too - thanks! I've not yet visited Manchester the city - I hope to one day, as I'm a Smiths fan. I landed at the airport once and was pleased to see how "the country" seemed to start immediately outside the city limits. Very bucolic and peaceful.

Yes that is exactly right. When you fly in, the path is right over the Peak District, where we live. Something they do if a plane has to ditch fuel I assume? Many peoples persception of England as built up ( well it will be if the Tories have their way) is incorrect. I always enjoy the flight home because we can pick out landmarks from where we live. I even picked out the Golf course we play on the last time i flew in !

I live in the country and I love it. I have lived in big cities and enjoyed them as well. But at this point in my life when I get back from the business trips I always remember this is why I work hard..to have a place to come home to that is peace and quiet. I am only about 55 miles from Atlanta, so anytime I want to do anything in the city it's close enough, but after so much business travel which is no longer fun, I rarely do it.

May have to go pull my Three Dog Night album, It Ain't Easy---Out In The Country:-)

The country, I love the country particularly upstate NY by the Adarondacks. Simply gorgeous..

That's the area I grew up in. Worked in those mountains as a summer camp counselor for 3 summers.

Currently live on the outskirts of a mid-sized city. Close enough to everything, but not too close! ;) Love it!

The countryside is beautiful but what about living by the sea??

I live in Belfast and hate it here. I never liked busy, busy cities besides historic ones, but would love to live by the coast. The North Antrim coastline definately floats my boat.

I have tried both and prefer the city. I was in Montana last summer - it was beautiful and the people were friendly and laid back. Also they have great local breweries! Unfortunately I probably couldn't earn a living there and it is just too isolated.

Archived