• Obama (US Citizen)
    • Romney (US Citizen)
    • Other Candidate (US Citizen)
    • Not Voting (US Citizen)
    • Obama (Non-US Citizen)
    • Romney (Non-US Citizen)
    • Other Candidate (Non-US Citizen)
    • Don't Care (Non-US Citizen)

No id's required at my precint. Just tel them your name and address. Even my brother, who no longer lives here, came back and voted because he is too lazy to register in his county. I should turn him in. :lol:

Edit: I favor needing an acceptable ID to vote. You need it for just about everything else around here. Maybe if they put the laws into effect now, the people that bitch about it will have enough time to get one before the next election.

P.S. Obummer said "let's fix this" in regards to the polling places and their long lines, etc. Hopefully not another empty promise. I have voted in CA in every state, federal election since 1988. I have never waited more than 1/2 hr at the polling place. Strange that this state seems to do SOMETHING right.

Not trying to start a fight but if you do not like living in California why don't you move? I live in Arizona and believe me, this place is one ultra-right wing conservative motherfucker and the housing is cheap. The only reason I do not live in either San Diego, Redding, or upstate NY is because my wife has shared custody of her two children from a previous marriage so we are somewhat imprisoned here. Once my stepdaughter (the younger of the two) goes off to college in four years WE ARE GONE BABY!!! Arizona can kiss my ass and I will turn one cheek for Sheriff Joe and the other for Jan Brewer. Too bad I only have two cheeks because our AG Tom Horne can kiss my ass too! Since Arizona has more corrupt politicians than a Soprano's episode, my ass is not big enough to go around.

Not trying to start a fight but if you do not like living in California why don't you move? I live in Arizona and believe me, this place is one ultra-right wing conservative motherfucker and the housing is cheap. The only reason I do not live in either San Diego, Redding, or upstate NY is because my wife has shared custody of her two children from a previous marriage so we are somewhat imprisoned here. Once my stepdaughter (the younger of the two) goes off to college in four years WE ARE GONE BABY!!! Arizona can kiss my ass and I will turn one cheek for Sheriff Joe and the other for Jan Brewer. Too bad I only have two cheeks because our AG Tom Horne can kiss my ass too! Since Arizona has more corrupt politicians than a Soprano's episode, my ass is not big enough to go around.

I think it is a long stretch to assume I don't like living here because I insinuated CA does something right. Not waiting a long time at the polling place is a good thing. However, I have thought about moving, but I have 2 kids in high school, and I promised one of them I wouldn't move until she is done.

I have voted in CA in every state, federal election since 1988. I have never waited more than 1/2 hr at the polling place. Strange that this state seems to do SOMETHING right.

the constitution gives states the right to set up how voting will be done in the states such as times, places etc . Obama can try to do a few things but just like he wasn't in charge of how california does elections he wasn't in charge of how Florida did.

California doesn't have long lines because we have many places set up where people can vote . you can drive through a small area and multiple places would be places where people can vote. plus there are things like absentee which people can decide and multiple places where they can go vote early.

the constitution gives states the right to set up how voting will be done in the states such as times, places etc . Obama can try to do a few things but just like he wasn't in charge of how california does elections he wasn't in charge of how Florida did.

Yes, I know. Hence the words "this state seems to do SOMETHING right." Maybe Obummer can drop a hint to some governors in places like FL since it is a state issue

California doesn't have long lines because we have many places set up where people can vote . you can drive through a small area and multiple places would be places where people can vote. plus there are things like absentee which people can decide and multiple places where they can go vote early.

I know, I live here.

I am a registered Democrat fella. So stick your party shit where the sun dont shine. I vote for the man not the party. I am going to change to independant because there are major flaws in both parties. i am not saying I will vote for the Republican nominee in 2016 automatically. I wanted Hillary to win before. I cant stand this bastard and his Muslim support and his middle finger in the air to Isreal who was a friend of ours. I do not like what he represents, or his record and he has divided the Democratic party in half.

Sounds like you should be voting republican then cos you sure sound like one.

I just love how all these articles and links are posted and people believe in every word depending on which side you lean. That is the number one issue/problem we have in America. There has to be sides, why don't you run for politics because you would fit right in.That is the biggest problem we have as a country.

The racist posters, once I see your thoughts on that I have one word that comes to mind: VILE!!

I am sure there are many, many other people here who have worked in the corporate world. "Welfare" works both ways. The rich can get most things free, either not paying enough in taxes, putting their money in banks outside the states to avoid any taxes, just to name a few. I worked at an extremely high end hotel chain for almost 20 years and if you saw what I saw it would make you sick. The CEO,CFO, COO, Executive Vice Presidents...the guys at the top in their companies just expected to be put in a Presidential Suite, 3K a day in gifts in their room,free golf, free spa for themselves and or their spouse, and many more give me's....why because they booked a meeting with us, and by the way the contracts are negotiated with many more concessions than just those because they feel they deserve it for doing business with us. Greed, it make me sick!!! They want these exclusive places to stay, but it takes a lot of money to keep these places exclusive and lavish. I can honestly say that less than 2% were the kind of leaders who said no thanks to these kind of practices and said they wanted to be treated like the rest of their employees..WHAT A CONCEPT...so we basically have about 2% of the extreme rich who have integrity and not just take things for free. Like I stated in another thread most of the rich did not come buy it honestly. I think it is wonderful if you are able to become rich, as long as you do it honestly!!

Do you realize that if you added up in just one hotel, even just to factor in what our cost is, the give me's to those people could easily add up to a million or so a year (and that is just one hotel)...imagine if that money was able to help give the hotel employee a raise..you know the hard working middle class person.

So, both sides (as some call it) feel they are entitled to just take for free. I was glad to see the corporate restrictions be put in place a few years ago.

We used to talk about the fact that should we ask them if we buy one of their products or use their services why shouldn't we get a few additional things for free!

I am honestly hoping that our President is able to get both sides to work together and become united and do the right thing. I love America and the world. There will always be good in bad in every corner of this earth. I am one that prefers to keep the hope that GOOD with WIN over evil. :peace:

In my state, you show up to vote. The person at the table looks up at you and says "Hello."

It's now your turn to provide a name. You say "John Smith". The poll worker says "address?".

If you get either of these wrong, then you are in a very dangerous spot. In NH, reps of both the Dem and GOP (independents are welcome too) can oversee people trying to get in. In the case of a person providing a non-existent name or wrong address, I guess they would move you aside and someone else would have to deal with you. I am not sure if it's ever happened here. I think Pennsylvania in arguing in favor of there Voter ID law said they had documented six cases nationally of someone showing up to vote who was not who they claimed. It's a painfully slow and inefficient means to steal an election. Absentee ballots on the other hand, there's a nice easy way to influence an election!

I just love how all these articles and links are posted and people believe in every word depending on which side you lean. That is the number one issue/problem we have in America. There has to be sides, why don't you run for politics because you would fit right in.That is the biggest problem we have as a country.

The racist posters, once I see your thoughts on that I have one word that comes to mind: VILE!!

I am sure there are many, many other people here who have worked in the corporate world. "Welfare" works both ways. The rich can get most things free, either not paying enough in taxes, putting their money in banks outside the states to avoid any taxes, just to name a few. I worked at an extremely high end hotel chain for almost 20 years and if you saw what I saw it would make you sick. The CEO,CFO, COO, Executive Vice Presidents...the guys at the top in their companies just expected to be put in a Presidential Suite, 3K a day in gifts in their room,free golf, free spa for themselves and or their spouse, and many more give me's....why because they booked a meeting with us, and by the way the contracts are negotiated with many more concessions than just those because they feel they deserve it for doing business with us. Greed, it make me sick!!! They want these exclusive places to stay, but it takes a lot of money to keep these places exclusive and lavish. I can honestly say that less than 2% were the kind of leaders who said no thanks to these kind of practices and said they wanted to be treated like the rest of their employees..WHAT A CONCEPT...so we basically have about 2% of the extreme rich who have integrity and not just take things for free. Like I stated in another thread most of the rich did not come buy it honestly. I think it is wonderful if you are able to become rich, as long as you do it honestly!!

Do you realize that if you added up in just one hotel, even just to factor in what our cost is, the give me's to those people could easily add up to a million or so a year (and that is just one hotel)...imagine if that money was able to help give the hotel employee a raise..you know the hard working middle class person.

So, both sides (as some call it) feel they are entitled to just take for free. I was glad to see the corporate restrictions be put in place a few years ago.

We used to talk about the fact that should we ask them if we buy one of their products or use their services why shouldn't we get a few additional things for free!

I am honestly hoping that our President is able to get both sides to work together and become united and do the right thing. I love America and the world. There will always be good in bad in every corner of this earth. I am one that prefers to keep the hope that GOOD with WIN over evil. :peace:

Well said Deborah, well said :thumbsup:

I think it is a long stretch to assume I don't like living here because I insinuated CA does something right. Not waiting a long time at the polling place is a good thing. However, I have thought about moving, but I have 2 kids in high school, and I promised one of them I wouldn't move until she is done.

Hey, were in the same boat!!! Maybe we can swap in four years, I have a great two story, 3,000 sq ft home with a pool and nothing but the White Tank mountains behind me. I know Walnut Grove is gorgeous because I have a friend who lives there...Hmmm, this might work :friends:

In my state, you show up to vote. The person at the table looks up at you and says "Hello."

It's now your turn to provide a name. You say "John Smith". The poll worker says "address?".

If you get either of these wrong, then you are in a very dangerous spot. In NH, reps of both the Dem and GOP (independents are welcome too) can oversee people trying to get in. In the case of a person providing a non-existent name or wrong address, I guess they would move you aside and someone else would have to deal with you. I am not sure if it's ever happened here. I think Pennsylvania in arguing in favor of there Voter ID law said they had documented six cases nationally of someone showing up to vote who was not who they claimed. It's a painfully slow and inefficient means to steal an election. Absentee ballots on the other hand, there's a nice easy way to influence an election!

Wow; I just assumed everyone had to show ID nowadays (we do).

Wow; I just assumed everyone had to show ID nowadays (we do).

I have no problem with voter ID laws if they were fair, but they are not and this is why. An elderly person who does not drive, a person who lives in the city thus does not own a car or have a drivers license, thee poor in general who do not have cars thus no license. The hoops these groups have to jump through in order to get an acceptable photo ID is insane and restrictive. Now if they made it easier to obtain the photo ID that would be a different matter but it is obvious by the manner of difficulty it is for these groups to get an ID that someone is trying to disenfranchise these groups. Also, in person voter fraud is non existent, that is a proven fact beyond any doubt therefore voter ID is irrelevant.

I have no problem with voter ID laws if they were fair, but they are not and this is why. An elderly person who does not drive, a person who lives in the city thus does not own a car or have a drivers license, thee poor in general who do not have cars thus no license. The hoops these groups have to jump through in order to get an acceptable photo ID is insane and restrictive. Now if they made it easier to obtain the photo ID that would be a different matter but it is obvious by the manner of difficulty it is for these groups to get an ID that someone is trying to disenfranchise these groups. Also, in person voter fraud is non existent, that is a proven fact beyond any doubt therefore voter ID is irrelevant.

Granted we're in a pretty small district, but when I voted (mid-morning), I saw multiple elderly voters who probably were not able to drive, and were there with companions. Locally they do a good job about calling around and offering rides to people too, although that doesn't address the ID issue.

We did have an issue with parking on the premises though; I had to make about 5 laps through the parking lot, and finally grabbed a space that opened up in a ditch in a grassy side area (not a parking lot). I wondered how those elderly folks had been able to navigate; it was pretty bad and very disorganized. And I mentioned something to the attendants too; if we are to vote, they need to have sufficient parking. It's bad enough that our polling place was moved last year to a location that's way out of the way for everyone who votes there; instead of the old place which was in our neighborhood.

So much for the USA being the "greatest" country in the world if you can't even get "acceptable" photo ID without it being in the form of a drivers licence.

Our (NSW') equivalent to the US' DMV provides photo ID's regardless of age (minimum age requirement is high school) and whether you drive a car or not.

If you can't get the little things right how do you expect to deal with the big issues?

So much for the USA being the "greatest" country in the world if you can't even get "acceptable" photo ID without it being in the form of a drivers licence.

Our (NSW') equivalent to the US' DMV provides photo ID's regardless of age (minimum age requirement is high school) and whether you drive a car or not.

If you can't get the little things right how do you expect to deal with the big issues?

Here in the UK they do not ask for photo ID's for voting purposes. We all receive a polling card both for our local council elections and the national elections. You then go and vote and have to present the polling card. There are no other routine checks made. We do not have a photo ID system and not everyone has a photo driving license, you can choose a photo one or a paper one which you have to sign. I am not aware of any polling booth irregularities with the system but there have been issues in the past with postal voting and fraud involved with that, but that was in one city. I daresay that if there were more irregularities then we would all need photo ID. The main problem here is getting people to vote in the first place. Isn't it compulsory in Oz?

Hey, were in the same boat!!! Maybe we can swap in four years, I have a great two story, 3,000 sq ft home with a pool and nothing but the White Tank mountains behind me. I know Walnut Grove is gorgeous because I have a friend who lives there...Hmmm, this might work :friends:

Too hot in AZ, but thanks for the offer.

I think the only states that do not or were not proposing a university issued student id card as acceptable were the only ones who weren't fair. Elderly, urban, and/or poor people can get a state issued ID card from the DMV. I don't think that is unfair, maybe a little inconvenient, but not unfair.

Here in the UK they do not ask for photo ID's for voting purposes. We all receive a polling card both for our local council elections and the national elections. You then go and vote and have to present the polling card. There are no other routine checks made. We do not have a photo ID system and not everyone has a photo driving license, you can choose a photo one or a paper one which you have to sign. I am not aware of any polling booth irregularities with the system but there have been issues in the past with postal voting and fraud involved with that, but that was in one city. I daresay that if there were more irregularities then we would all need photo ID. The main problem here is getting people to vote in the first place. Isn't it compulsory in Oz?

Yes, voting is compulsory and I agree with the concept 100%. Why, you ask? Because of our small population and it is a privelege and not just a right to have a say in how the government is formed. Our system is flawed in that like everywhere else it seems there are loopholes as to where your vote actually goes. We have a preferential system where the incumbent government, opposition or independents have the ability to "give" their votes to whom ever they wish in the event that they don't win the seat they are standing for. We don't need ID to vote on the day of the elections. If your name and address are not on the electoral roll and marked off, you don't vote, period. Photo ID's are the best form of ID for everyday life as we seem to have to show it regulalrly.

Yes, I know. Hence the words "this state seems to do SOMETHING right." Maybe Obummer can drop a hint to some governors in places like FL since it is a state issue

I know, I live here.

Republican Governors in Florida and Ohio were intentionally trying to limit voting by doing things like cutting hours. there were court cases over this.

Republican Governors in Florida and Ohio were intentionally trying to limit voting by doing things like cutting hours. there were court cases over this.

In OH, it wasn't the Governor, it was the secretary of state. And the point of my statement was maybe now that Obummer has clearly and decisively won the election he can apply some influence in states with long polling lines to clean up the process. Unlikely, but hopeful sentiments on my part.

Actually, a non-driver's license state ID is very simple to get - and it's free.

All the whining about it being difficult is bullshit.

Actually, a non-driver's license state ID is very simple to get - and it's free.

All the whining about it being difficult is bullshit.

Not quite, most states charge at least $10 for a state ID card. Also, for those who do not have a photo ID and do not have access to their birth certificate it is near impossible.

Archived