ALEISTER'S OLD ABSINTHE HOUSE & CORNED BEEF EMPORIUM

ALEISTER CROWLEY

I have imbibed absinthe during three different trips to Europe. I don't know if we are permitted to share details here. :huh:

Oh, please do. I had a chance to try some in Wales and didn't, naively thinking I could get some back at home. Only to learn you can't buy the real deal in the States.

I've always been curious.

Oh, please do. I had a chance to try some in Wales and didn't, naively thinking I could get some back at home. Only to learn you can't buy the real deal in the States.

I've always been curious.

I don't have any tales of absinthe-fueled, debauched rampages through the streets of Paris and Barcelona (and no sliced off ears!) but, because there are underage members, I think I will probably PM you. And, old Crowley rears his head once again; because of him as well as Picasso, Hemingway, Van Gogh and others, I was influenced to try "the green fairy".

This quote will give you a vague idea of what it was like for me - YMMV:

After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world. -- Oscar Wilde

Oh, dear me. Did you happen to see a somewhat tall chap dressed all in white. He left this

lighter on the countertop. The initials are J.C.

Would that J.C. be the J.C. that I am thinking of? <gulp>

The Legend of Absinthe

Apollo, who mourned at Hyacinthe's demise,

Refused to concede this victory to Death.

Much better that the soul, adept in transformation,

Had to find a holy alchemy for Beauty.

Thus with his celestial hand he drained and crushed

The subtlest harvest of the garden goddess,

The broken bodies of the herbs yielding a golden essence

From which we measure out our first drop -- of Absinthe!

In lowly hovels and in glittering courts,

Alone, in pairs, drink up this potion of desire!

For it is sorcery -- as one might say --

When the pale opal wine ends all misery,

Opens Beauty's most intimate sanctuary --

- Bewitches my heart, and exalts my soul in ecstasy!

- A.C.

privat.jpg

I don't have any tales of absinthe-fueled, debauched rampages through the streets of Paris and Barcelona (and no sliced off ears!)

Darnnit! ;) (well, except for the ear part.)

but, because there are underage members, I think I will probably PM you. And, old Crowley rears his head once again; because of him as well as Picasso, Hemingway, Van Gogh and others, I was influenced to try "the green fairy".

After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world. -- Oscar Wilde

Whoa. So, kind of like acid... I look forward to discussing this off line.

Would that J.C. be the J.C. that I am thinking of? <gulp>

Thine is the Lighter?

QUOTE (MadScreamingGallery @ Dec 13 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I don't have any tales of absinthe-fueled, debauched rampages through the streets of Paris and Barcelona (and no sliced off ears!)

Darnnit! wink.gif (well, except for the ear part.)

:lol: Yes, how times have changed. Back in the day, I needed only adrenalin to fuel my debauched...erm...activities.

QUOTE (MadScreamingGallery @ Dec 13 2007, 06:38 PM) *

but, because there are underage members, I think I will probably PM you. And, old Crowley rears his head once again; because of him as well as Picasso, Hemingway, Van Gogh and others, I was influenced to try "the green fairy".

Whoa. So, kind of like acid... I look forward to discussing this off line.

I've never dropped acid so I wouldn't know. I'll PM you.

Acid is a little exaggerated, but it's very close marijuana efects

Agreed. Close to the effects one would feel from good pot or hash.

Thanks guys.

Adrenalin makes a fine fuel for one's enthusiams, and is just as addictive as some other substances! B)

Clearly our Mr. Crowley was quite enamored of the Green Fairy, wasn't he? But, what I really want to know is... anyone got a recipe for some really excellent home made corned beef hash?

:D

For Sunchild,

Secrets from old Nanny Crowley's mess hall ...

Corned Beef Hash

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 pound corned beef, finely chopped

1 tablespoon prepared horseradish

1/4 cup whipping cream 4 poached or fried eggs

4 grams حشيش (only if desired).

corned_beef_hash_small_serv.jpg

Preparation:

1. Boil potatoes in 10-inch skillet over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 6 minutes and drain to colander.

2. Cook onions in butter over medium-high heat 5 minutes in skillet. Stir in corned beef, horseradish and potatoes; mix well. Press down mixture with spatula to flatten into compact layer.

3. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and حشيش .

3. Reduce heat to low. Drizzle cream evenly over mixture. Cook 10 to 15 minutes. Turn mixture with spatula; pat down and continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes or until bottom is well browned. Served with 1 poached or fried egg.

4. Imbibe.

5. Envisage.

6. Stargaze.

cannabis_ha_hieroglyph.gif

I get these "vocab vitamin" e-mails (ok, so I'm a geek) and thought today's was apropos of this thread:

chartreuse

(noun)

[shawr-TROOZ, shawr-TROOS]

1. a bright yellowish green color: "She fell in love with a little scraggly kitten with chartreuse eyes."

adjective form: chartreuse

Origin: Approximately 1884; from French, after a liqueur produced at the monastery of the Carthusian order. The original recipe now being marketed as Les Peres Chartreux. The color is so called from resemblance to the pale apple-green hue of the liqueur.

In action:

"'To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave.' -- Michel de Montaigne

Death is too important to be left to the end of life. Better to face death now while you can still enjoy what it has to offer. Fortunately, there are several ways to do this, and there's a special outfit for each encounter. In jeans, chartreuse windbreaker and parachute, you can dangle your legs out the doorway of an old prop plane and push yourself into oblivion. In fatigues and helmet, you can endure the daily routine of terror and courage until death is an easy friend. Sitting silently in a loose-fitting black meditation robe, you can follow your inner corpse to its ultimate ego-annihilating epiphany."

Brother Void. "Learning to die," Salon.com (October 25, 2002).

http://www.vocabvitamins.com/

The Absinthe Drinker - Arthur Symons (1892)

Gently I wave the visible world away.

Far off, I hear a roar, afar yet near,

Far off and strange, a voice is in my ear,

And is the voice my own? the words I say

Fall strangely, like a dream, across the day;

And the dim sunshine is a dream. How clear,

New as the world to lovers' eyes, appear

The men and women passing on their way!

The world is very fair. The hours are all

Linked in a dance of mere forgetfulness.

I am at peace with God and man. O glide

Sands of the hour-glass that I count not, fall

Serenely: scarce I feel your soft caress,

Rocked on this dreamy and indifferent tide.

• 3 years later...

I thought absinthe was legal again, even in the U.S. - no? I'd love to try it, just out of curiosity, though my drinking days are over for the most part. Around your 30's, if you've been overindulgent, your body starts to say, "Party's over, a**hole!"

1115010456_5_O1p0_1.jpeg

698917773_5_XOJu_1.jpeg

The stuff is legal in the Netherlands, although it is hard to find a good one.

The first picture was taken in Berlin where they have 2 Absinthe bars, the second was taken in my former kitchen after already half a bottle of it, hence the slightly lunatic expression.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived