Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Don't forget that when Jimmy was doing the rounds promoting the last three remastered releases last summer (good Lord, is it a year already???), he was asked several times if anything was left regarding potential future releases, and he replied "as far as the studio side goes, this is it...".  That's a very vague and non-committal response and doesn't rule out a future live release.  In fact, not long after, both our own Steve A. Jones and Led Zeppelin News on Twitter reported that Jimmy was giving serious consideration to an Earl's Court live album, and they would know if anyone would.

I think Jimmy will do his solo stuff and get that out of his system, and even if he doesn't, he'll always return to his first love - namely Zeppelin - and EC is the only remaining thing left in the vaults worthy of an official release as I see it, short of a lovely new 24/96 remastering of the 1976 mix of TSRTS, and that unfortunately won't happen.

I'm still hopeful with regards Earl's Court, but I won't lament it on my death bed if it doesn't happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, rm2551 said:

EXACTLY this. Too right. The boots are fantastic.

The only thing, I am not certain no other official release will be the story. Like The great man said - 5 years in Zeppelin time is like 5 minutes.

I still think there is a good chance, a distinct possibility, ther could be either an EC release or an umbrella live box that has a bit of everything (definitive - and final word - official "that's IT!" type release)

But those many, many boots that seem to be geting better and better - just FANTASTIC!!!!!! May they long continue to be tweaked, improved, released.

Hey rm2551, I would love an Earls Court or Japan release. The reason I think we won't get one is that Jimmy is a perfectionist and especially with what he has to work with, put the two together and I really think it he may not feel able to commit the amount of time an effort he feels would be required. Reading the Garden Tapes site it's amazing just how much effort Jimmy put in, in remastering 'The Song Remains The Same'. I wish he would do an EC release but at 73 he may be reluctant to take it on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jukkin said:

Hey rm2551, I would love an Earls Court or Japan release. The reason I think we won't get one is that Jimmy is a perfectionist and especially with what he has to work with, put the two together and I really think it he may not feel able to commit the amount of time an effort he feels would be required. Reading the Garden Tapes site it's amazing just how much effort Jimmy put in, in remastering 'The Song Remains The Same'. I wish he would do an EC release but at 73 he may be reluctant to take it on.

hard to disagree, but one can only hope. And I will be hoping for the rest of my days!

forever the optimist....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just about to complete my SD box set collection, only in ITTOD is missing! What can I say, they really are unique I'm astounded every time I glance at em. It's perfection. But we always want more! When ITTOD turns up then the only thing to completely complete this stunner would be a SRTS SD box set! It would slot in so perfectly but how could this be approached? SRTS has been revamped before. As I understand it page regarded it as a sound track but could other performances from the garden be used as a companion audio disc as sort of best of the garden tapes as an expansion to SRTS? Or even another concern at a different time as a companion to the original SRTS?

 

just in theory!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JAP said:

I'm just about to complete my SD box set collection, only in ITTOD is missing! What can I say, they really are unique I'm astounded every time I glance at em. It's perfection. But we always want more! When ITTOD turns up then the only thing to completely complete this stunner would be a SRTS SD box set! It would slot in so perfectly but how could this be approached? SRTS has been revamped before. As I understand it page regarded it as a sound track but could other performances from the garden be used as a companion audio disc as sort of best of the garden tapes as an expansion to SRTS? Or even another concern at a different time as a companion to the original SRTS?

 

just in theory!

another concert as a companion. GREAT to think about. Or possibly a companion that includes before and after material that is in the vaults.

Just imagine!

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes I recon there's room to couple some live companion audio to the original SRTS. Holding a mirror to or expanding the concept. There's a lot of possibilities and personally I think SRTS SD is conspicuous in its absence 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jimmy hadn't already revisited TSRTS  in 2007, a deluxe version would have been GREAT alongside the studio albums in the recent remaster enterprise, but I think he would have stuck to MSG '73 in any hypothetical deluxe release, and rightly so.  I've also stated here and elsewhere that Jimmy should absolutely have remastered the 1976 version to a lovely new 24/96 transfer and released that alongside the remastered/remixed/expanded 2007 version in a four-disc box set, alas...

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, boylollipop said:

There is nothing left in the vault. It's gone. The vault is gone...!

I don't know, when Jimmy says that's it, there is no more, he always is careful to throw in the word 'studio'. He seems to be careful to avoid commenting or committing to any postition on what live material may be under wraps.

There may well be nothing. There may well be a fair bit not up to what Jimmy/Robert/John Paul would want to work through and release. There may be GOLD just waiting for 'the right time'.

Who knows.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I don't know, when Jimmy says that's it, there is no more, he always is careful to throw in the word 'studio'. He seems to be careful to avoid commenting or committing to any postition on what live material may be under wraps.

There may well be nothing. There may well be a fair bit not up to what Jimmy/Robert/John Paul would want to work through and release. There may be GOLD just waiting for 'the right time'.

Who knows.....

I suspect there's a bit of studio silver and bronze and some live gold . 

Id take anything... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nigelss said:

Isn't it the case that for any material to be released under the Zeppelin name JP has to get agreement from RP and JPJ, and maybe others?

Yup, it's why Jimmy's planned chronological live Zeppelin album never came to fruition; Robert Plant consistently vetoed it (much to Jimmy's chagrin).  As I understand the situation, all three surviving members and the Bonham estate have to sign off to approve a release...

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

Yup, it's why Jimmy's planned chronological live Zeppelin album never came to fruition; Robert Plant consistently vetoed it (much to Jimmy's chagrin).  As I understand the situation, all three surviving members and the Bonham estate have to sign off to approve a release...

The chronological live album did come to fruition, it's called DVD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JTM said:

The chronological live album did come to fruition, it's called DVD.

A DVD is not a live album, sorry to break that to you. 

Jimmy's concept of the chronological live album would have incorporated multi-track recordings taken from Royal Albert Hall 1970, Long Beach Arena/Los Angeles Forum 1972, (maybe) Southampton University 1973, Madison Square Garden 1973, Earl's Court 1975, and Knebworth 1979... whether any of the 1977 shows were multi-tracked, we don't know, but Jimmy's somewhat cryptic admission that he may have had to include live material on the Presence  deluxe companion disc if the studio reel he was looking for hadn't been located gives me some wonderment as to whether at least one show from that infamous tour was multi-tracked that we the public aren't aware of, and Kevin Shirley implied there were later shows recorded that he himself heard when going through the multi-track archive in 2002, so who knows...?

Either way, it would still have been an entirely different animal, in format and composition, to DVD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JTM said:

The chronological live album did come to fruition, it's called DVD.

 

31 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

A DVD is not a live album, sorry to break that to you. 

Jimmy's concept of the chronological live album would have incorporated multi-track recordings taken from Royal Albert Hall 1970, Long Beach Arena/Los Angeles Forum 1972, (maybe) Southampton University 1973, Madison Square Garden 1973, Earl's Court 1975, and Knebworth 1979... whether any of the 1977 shows were multi-tracked, we don't know, but Jimmy's somewhat cryptic admission that he may have had to include live material on the Presence  deluxe companion disc if the studio reel he was looking for hadn't been located gives me some wonderment as to whether at least one show from that infamous tour was multi-tracked that we the public aren't aware of, and Kevin Shirley implied there were later shows recorded that he himself heard when going through the multi-track archive in 2002, so who knows...?

Either way, it would still have been an entirely different animal, in format and composition, to DVD.

I agree with JTM. The project morphed from a chronological live album to a chronological live DVD... which turned out quite well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...