Jon Lord (Deep Purple) died today.

reswati

Well that's just Sad ! :(

Deep Purple had some amazing musicians in the band --- all the way around ! !

I remember listening to my first Deep Purple album, Machine Head, as a Jr. in High School, in 1972.

What impressed me most from that LP was the keyboard work in the great tune "Lazy". That was easily my favorite track off that album from the get-go.

Thanks Jon for all the great things you accomplished in your lifetime --- You went too soon ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPM6ni4bQzc

Well that's just Sad ! :(

Deep Purple had some amazing musicians in the band --- all the way around ! !

I remember listening to my first Deep Purple album, Machine Head, as a Jr. in High School, in 1972.

What impressed me most from that LP was the keyboard work in the great tune "Lazy". That was easily my favorite track off that album from the get-go.

Thanks Jon for all the great things you accomplished in your lifetime --- You went too soon ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPM6ni4bQzc

Oh-yeeeeaaahhh Rover, that's a nice pick! The devil must be pissed he can't sneak up to heaven to steal this guy for his band.

Great musician gone...One of the best of his (or any other) time.

There is a fellow member here (Massimo) who plays with a Zep cover band in Italy called Flowerstone. I know that Jon Lord (made a guest appearance)jammed with his group on a few Deep Purple tracks..I wonder how this is shaping up with him.

I think Machine Head was the first album I really partied to. Smoke on the Water and of course Lazy, in which the keyboards just amazed me. I always said it was Emerson and then Lord and then Wakeman. But I may have to drop Wakeman lower. Lord to me was second only to Keith. Its sad he is gone but never forgotten.

I think Machine Head was the first album I really partied to. Smoke on the Water and of course Lazy, in which the keyboards just amazed me. I always said it was Emerson and then Lord and then Wakeman. But I may have to drop Wakeman lower. Lord to me was second only to Keith. Its sad he is gone but never forgotten.

All 3 are (were) pretty incredible.

Unfortunately, Keith Emerson is now having some severe arthritis or Carpal Tunnel issues..

The most amazing technical musician I've ever seen live was Rick Wakeman, in 1991-92.

He did this run down the keyboard that was just sick.

This man was one of my favorites- I am truly sad he has passed on but is now not in pain. I just recently went back and watched both the 1969 and the 1999 versions of Concerto for Group and Orchestra-Deep Purple on DVD. The man was a superb piano and keyboard player and composer. Deep Purple has always been one of my top 5 groups all Marks up till now. I had tickets to see them in 1987 with Ritchie Blackmore but he hurt his hand and the Houston show was canceled. But I did get to see them on one of Jon Lords last tours before he left Deep Purple in 2001. It was outstanding.

Jon Lord, HRH Crown Princess Victoria & Jimmy Page

49292621056ecc746c50o.jpg

Paul Weller, Jon Lord, Robert Plant, Ian Paice

rp2006091506.jpg

R.I.P. Jon Lord- A 200

David, as always, thank you the pictures! I, for one, hadn't seen those before. It is sad, but I'm glad he's not in pain anymore and has really received a well deserved wealth of respect in response to his passing.

Every damn day we get up and someone else we grew up with, idols of ours, are on the front page news and gone. It sure brings to light our own mortality. It puts things in perspective I guess. I have lost not just many idols but friends and family and I am sure many of you have also. Does it make you numb in some ways? Does it make it easier to accept the more it happens? I think not. The sting is just as sharp and painfull regardless. We have lost another great musician in Jon.

very sad news. he was a very talented man, and those that knew him personally all say he was a lovely man.

i saw deep purple when they toured australia in ( i think it was 1999 ) sydney. i got a couple of autographs too. i love that band, always have, always will.

http://www.metallica...120716-news.asp

A Master Passes

July 16, 2012

Ever since my father took me to see them in 1973 in Copenhagen, at the impressionable age of 9, Deep Purple has been the most constant, continuous and inspiring musical presence in my life. They have meant more to me than any other band in existence, and have had an enormous part in shaping who I am. So obviously I'm beyond bummed, saddened and devastated by today's news of the untimely passing of keyboardist Jon Lord.

We can all be guilty of lightly throwing adjectives like "unique," "one-of-a-kind" and "pioneering" around when we want to describe our heroes and the people who've moved us, but there are no more fitting words than those right now and there simply was no musician like Jon Lord in the history of hard rock. Nobody. Period.

There was nobody that played like him. There was nobody that sounded like him. There was nobody that wrote like him. There was nobody that looked like him. There was nobody more articulate, gentlemanly, warm, or fucking cooler that ever played keyboards or got anywhere near a keyboard. What he did was all his own. Including obviously his unique sound. Whatever it was he did with that Hammond organ, the way the Leslie distorted what he was playing and pushed it to some unheard of place, the way he attacked it while he was throwing it around, and whatever the fuck else it was that was going down between Jon and "The Beast", as he called his organ, it was unlike anything before, during or after. That simple.

Deep Purple of course was also an entity all their own, always unpredictable, often impulsive, never repetitive and most of the time, other worldly. I had the good fortune of seeing them three times in Copenhagen between ’73 and ’75, numerous times again on the reunion runs in ’85 and ’87. We even played a couple of gigs in Germany with them in the summer of ’87 and needless to say, every time was an experience that had a major impact on me. Seeing Jon on stage right playing the riffs, the colorings, the textures, the next level solos, intros, outros, blues bits, classical pieces and whatever else came into his head each night AND on top of that keeping up with Ritchie Blackmore song after song, night after night, was the sign of the master of his craft . . . the most accomplished, original and unique hard rock keyboardist that ever walked this planet.

In 1992 when we played Munich on the Black Album tour, Jon Lord and lead singer, Ian Gillan came down to the show and stood in the snake pit the whole time. I was in heaven. Performing in front of members of the band that had meant more to me than anything in my life was a dream come true. And when I got a signed note after the show that they had had to leave and get back to their milk and cookies and be ready for the recording sessions the next day, I was simply beyond psyched. My hero(es) in the fuckin snake pit.!!!!! "Look Mom, on top of the fuckin world!!"

....Full circle for the impressionable 9 year old from KB Hallen in Copenhagen in February '73.

Rest in peace Jon and THANK YOU for everything,

Lars

http://www.rwcc.com/notice_jonlord.asp

I first became aware of Jon Lord in the mid-sixties when Hush was released and I bought the album Shades of Deep Purple which was an album way ahead of its time. For obvious reasons I paid special attention to the organ style and sound as it was quite different from how other Hammond players were using the instrument. I became a genuine admirer and fan of Jon that day and remained so with everything he did

We became real friends just a few years ago although we had met on numerous occasions prior to that. We did talks together at music conservatories, we met for lunch and most importantly made music together. We wrote a piece 12 months ago for the Sunflower Jam at the Royal Albert Hall. We wrote this piece together at John Henry's rehearsal studios in London and it was so easy because we had such different styles and because Jon was concentrating heavily on the Hammond and I on synthesizers, the blend was quite magical. The piece was performed just the once and I am told was filmed. although I have never seen the footage.

We sat in the dressing room which we shared at the Royal Albert Hall and made plans to do an album together. We were both utterly convinced that we could come up with something very special as our styles blended so well together. Our love of classical music and also working that style within that of rock music also completed the bond . We arranged to meet up later that month

One week before we were due to meet Jon called me with the news he was ill. He was very positive and actually said he'd never felt better in his life and so he would beat it however long it took and so to bear with our project which went on hold.

We spoke a couple of times after that and the last message I got was that he was responding well to his treatment. The news today has hurt me like no other loss of a musician I have known. I can only thank him for the legacy he has left us all with his great music, great vision and for his kindness as he was one of the most gentle and kind persons I have ever had the pleasure of being able to call my friend. My heart goes out to Vicki his wife and all his family.

Rick Wakeman

16th July 2012

David, as always, thank you the pictures! I, for one, hadn't seen those before. It is sad, but I'm glad he's not in pain anymore and has really received a well deserved wealth of respect in response to his passing.

Also, Thank you David

From Iommi.com

18th July 2012

I was so shocked and saddened to hear the news of Jon's passing . Jon was not only a magnificent keyboard player and musician but a wonderful human being and a true gentleman

i'm honoured to have had the opportunity to play together with him. We've lost a true legend but his music will live on in all of our hearts.

My deepest thoughts go out to his family.

R.I.P Jon, my friend.

Tony Iommi

Who Cares - OUT OF MY MIND

RIP Jon Lord, a true virtuoso of his insrument, his legacy is intact as a composer and as a human being, although many of us didn't know him, he always came across with integrity and as a diplomat, always enjoyed seeing him live with Purple many times over the years and hearing him being interviewed. He was a true inovator in crossing the bridge between Classical and Rock music, just go listen to the epic Bach'n'Roll style solo in "Highway Star". and of Course "Concerto for group and Orchestra".

It brings it home when someone of his talent leaves us...Thanks for all the wonderful and exciting music you have left us, Leicester must be proud of you.

This week I looked up a lot of his music and could hear what a genius he was on those keyboards. This one video got me in particular because he comes across as such a nice, genuine person.

The greatest gift an artist give us, stays with us forever.......his music.

RIP Jon Lord.

Archived