Post Zeppelin Achilles' Last Stand.

I know that there were the two performances of this song by Page and Plant from 2/26 and 2/28/95, but does anyone know of any other post Zep performances of this song by maybe Jimmy or the others?

well I am a drummer and don't get me wrong I think Michael Lee was a good drummer but the song needed Bonzo - that is what I am saying. I am glad to have both of them on video 2-28 and the one on audio 2-26 (which there is the rehearsals and other video footage out there- I think in MTV's vaults the whole video exists. In a nutshell they weren't happy with it or they would have continued with it and I would have seen it live at the Summit in Houston March 14, 1995. haha

I have always wondered why this wasn't played at the 02 reunion? I'm sure Jimmy wanted it, and Robert said no "heavy metal" Zep songs (hence why this and Immigrant Song weren't played at the O2).

DavidZoso is right on the money with it needing Bonzo for the live setting, and I wondered if during early O2 rehearsals the band gave this a go or not. And if they did, it either missed with Jason, or maybe Jimmy wasn't up to it (although I suspect he would have practised the heck out of it to get it right for the show). And maybe Robert felt they couldn't live up to the version from Knebworth on DVD...tough to say, but I sure would have liked to hear the attempt on this (especially since Robert says before Dazed and Confused at the O2, to paraphrase: "at a show like this, a few songs MUST be played...". Well I always thought this made the list of a few that must be played)!

I have always wondered why this wasn't played at the 02 reunion? I'm sure Jimmy wanted it, and Robert said no "heavy metal" Zep songs (hence why this and Immigrant Song weren't played at the O2).

DavidZoso is right on the money with it needing Bonzo for the live setting, and I wondered if during early O2 rehearsals the band gave this a go or not. And if they did, it either missed with Jason, or maybe Jimmy wasn't up to it (although I suspect he would have practised the heck out of it to get it right for the show). And maybe Robert felt they couldn't live up to the version from Knebworth on DVD...tough to say, but I sure would have liked to hear the attempt on this (especially since Robert says before Dazed and Confused at the O2, to paraphrase: "at a show like this, a few songs MUST be played...". Well I always thought this made the list of a few that must be played)!

One song they rehearsed and didn't play- was House of the Holy. I think I said this in another thread but Ramble On could have been substituted for anything in my book- they played it to death on both Page/Plant tours 95 & 98. I love the song but hearing the song Houses of the Holy that would have been 2 premiered songs-w For Your Life. I am still very surprised Robert didn't have a hissy fit over having to perform Stairway to Heaven. haha

True, according to accounts Robert said no "heavy metal" but it's not like they played "Tangerine" or "The Rain Song" either. It was a well balanced show. I'm not concerned they didn't play "Immigrant Song" or "ALS" but I too would have preferred two other songs in place of "Ramble On" & "Misty Mountain Hop" as well but they played what they played. At least one song off of "ITTOD" would have been nice but I think "For Your Life" was a great choice. And I think both Page & Plant versions of "ALS" were great, better than some of Zeppelin's own performances of the song to tell the truth.

Jason Bonham has also performed ALS with his Led Zeppelin Experience, but I assume that does not count?

It does give you an impression of Jason's drumming on it and how it may have sounded at the O2.

My favorite thing about the P&P versions of this song was the fact that it stuck closer to the studio version, i.e. the ending portion of the big solo wasn't missing like in all the LZ versions.

According to internet-speak, I believe it's the opposite of "fail".

Jahfin, I know what epic means as a word, just want to know what HE means by it since he is talking about it's not heavy metal but progressive rock and it's "epic" when the whole point of what Sue asked was what people thought of the P/P version of the song....didn't think it was that abstract of a thread topic, that's all.

I have to agree that Michael Lee just didn't have the "swing" element Bonzo had on it. It just doesn't sound right when Jason or MIchael Lee plays it. Bonzo was so "in control" when he had that groove going, others flail at it and it just sounds wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely ^^^^^ and one other thing it is lacking is the 8 string bass, John Paul Jone's recorded all of Presence on his new at the time -Alembic 8-string bass. He also got a new Alembic 4 string but the 8 string was used for all of Presence..

becvar8_02.png

I always thought that Zep stoped playing some tunes because Robert couldn't handle the vocals.

Just like Immigrant Song, he couldn't do it, and although I loved the O2 show, The weak point of it was Robert, but he's still great.

I always found it funny that they tuned everything half step down to make it easier to Robert in the O2 show.

Archived