What do YOU consider to be the holy grail of live concert footage?

TheLastSpartan

For me, because of the technology that exists on today’s boards, the quality of the lighting rig, and massive improvements of the camera/filming technology, clearly if the 02 is ever released, from a sound quality and visual quality point of view, that would be the Holy Grail. For back in the day, the Ottawa Ontario Canada gig for me which I have yet to find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2/7/75 Sue says it all

In terms of pro-shot footage we have, I say the best is 5/25/75. In terms of audience show footage, in terms of playing quality I'd say the 16mm footage of 6/23/77. In terms of film quality, the footage of 2/7/75, where the cameraman is right underneath Robert. In terms of footage we don't have, I'd say the pro-shot footage of Pontiac '77. (Pretty killer show too!)

The rest of Iceland 70

LA 70

Osaka 71

Any bits from the rumored band documentary from 1970.

Lets not forget the 40 second clip of the band in the studio recording LZ II that had been floating around some trading circles a few years ago.

The pro-shot footage of Pontiac must be sitting somewhere in Jimmy's vault.

What's it with all the hype about that Zeppelin show? It seems to be just as good as any other 1977 show. And believe me that's not the only pro shot from 1977 that jimmy as, infact It's pretty hard to believe that a multi bilion dollar band wouldn't record all of their shows. Guns n roses recorded all of the three year Use your illusion tour from 1991 to 1993, so if they did that easily, I doubt that Zeppelin hadn't done it before. Jimmy has a lot more than what we think and even consider to exist in zeppelin terms. I actually believe that there are some 1973 stuff that he hasn't shown anyone, and there's definitly more stuff from 1975 to 1977 that is only available for private eyes. They were very popular and very rich and the "it wasnt practical" thing just doesn't feel right.

What's it with all the hype about that Zeppelin show? It seems to be just as good as any other 1977 show. And believe me that's not the only pro shot from 1977 that jimmy as, infact It's pretty hard to believe that a multi bilion dollar band wouldn't record all of their shows. Guns n roses recorded all of the three year Use your illusion tour from 1991 to 1993, so if they did that easily, I doubt that Zeppelin hadn't done it before. Jimmy has a lot more than what we think and even consider to exist in zeppelin terms. I actually believe that there are some 1973 stuff that he hasn't shown anyone, and there's definitly more stuff from 1975 to 1977 that is only available for private eyes. They were very popular and very rich and the "it wasnt practical" thing just doesn't feel right.

None of the 1977 shows was multitracked. Only Seattle and Pontiac shows were pro-shot.

Sorry, you're way off-base here. There's a big difference between recording or filming a tour for your personal stash and having it done professionally with an eye towards its eventual release.

Yes, Jimmy may have a wealth of 8mm or 16mm film footage of the 77 tour stashed away...along with soundboards of every show. That is a far cry from having pro-quality stuff to release to the public.

As has been said many times by me, badgeholder, the Rover, Nutrocker, and other 77 tour veterans, there were only two dates on the 77 tour where they had video cameras and video screens set up: Pontiac Silverdome and Seattle Kingdome. It's possible they would have had videos at the Tampa Stadium show but the storm nixed that idea.

I think it is also safe to say that they probably would have had video screens set up for the New Orleans Superdome and JFK Stadium shows that were cancelled after the death of Karac Plant.

By the way, if you open your eyes, you would see the gigantic bulkiness of the video cameras Zeppelin used at those 77 Stadium shows; not exactly conducive to taking with you on a cross-country tour. It wasn't like the 90s and beyond, where you could videotape your gig with a handheld camera. So to equate recording the entire 77 tour with Guns n Roses doing the same on their 93 tour is absurd.

Sorry, you're way off-base here. There's a big difference between recording or filming a tour for your personal stash and having it done professionally with an eye towards its eventual release.

Yes, Jimmy may have a wealth of 8mm or 16mm film footage of the 77 tour stashed away...along with soundboards of every show. That is a far cry from having pro-quality stuff to release to the public.

As has been said many times by me, badgeholder, the Rover, Nutrocker, and other 77 tour veterans, there were only two dates on the 77 tour where they had video cameras and video screens set up: Pontiac Silverdome and Seattle Kingdome. It's possible they would have had videos at the Tampa Stadium show but the storm nixed that idea.

I think it is also safe to say that they probably would have had video screens set up for the New Orleans Superdome and JFK Stadium shows that were cancelled after the death of Karac Plant.

By the way, if you open your eyes, you would see the gigantic bulkiness of the video cameras Zeppelin used at those 77 Stadium shows; not exactly conducive to taking with you on a cross-country tour. It wasn't like the 90s and beyond, where you could videotape your gig with a handheld camera. So to equate recording the entire 77 tour with Guns n Roses doing the same on their 93 tour is absurd.

Oh I didn't mean proshot. I meant like 8 mm and 16 mm tapes of the shows. I know that the pro shots were only took when they had giant screens to the benefit of the people in the back. I used GN'R because i thought it would be a good example to proove that very popular bands back then always had stuff up their sleeve, and excuse me if I refuse to believe that there's just nothing else live recorded that could be released by Led Zeppelin.

C'mmon man, we're talking about Led Zeppelin!!

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, just expressing an opinion!

C'mmon man, we're talking about Led Zeppelin!!

Exactly...we're talking about Led Zeppelin, a band unlike any other and that didn't operate or do anything like other bands, or accede to what was considered the norm by the public or the industry.

Led Zeppelin was sui generis.

Exactly...we're talking about Led Zeppelin, a band unlike any other and that didn't operate or do anything like other bands, or accede to what was considered the norm by the public or the industry.

Led Zeppelin was sui generis.

Well said !

You know with the release of Celebration Day and all of the excitement, it would be great if more things come to light eventually. Like I stated a few pages back, for me (and I know it's selfish on my part), but May 14,1973 New Orleans or February 28, 1975 Baton Rouge of which I have almost worn those two concert CD's out...I would love to see any of those shows even if it's just a few songs from each. I see it in my mind, but to put it on a big screen with a great sound system and to see them take the stage again, then down that magnificent journey so many years ago..well you get my drift:-)

I am so happy for of the members on this forum who were able to attend the event in 2007 and can imagine just how exciting this all is.

Thanks to an awesome friend on this forum for sending me those two CD's that I have almost worn out! :peace:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone found the Ottawa gig yet?

For me, because of the technology that exists on today’s boards, the quality of the lighting rig, and massive improvements of the camera/filming technology, clearly if the 02 is ever released, from a sound quality and visual quality point of view, that would be the Holy Grail. For back in the day, the Ottawa Ontario Canada gig for me which I have yet to find.

My personal "holy grail" is Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta May 4, 1973. The show my mother attended when she was 17. All I can find is a few pictures. And then there is that soundcheck that some say is from the Atlanta show, but I'm not sure... There just isnt much from the show otherwise. There HAS to be footage floating around somewhere. I just want to know so badly what that show was like.

May 14,1973 New Orleans or February 28, 1975 Baton Rouge

He may have just been trying to wind people up, Deborah, but I seem to recall Freezer claiming a friend of his shot about twenty minutes of 8mm film at the 28/2/75 show whilst Freezer taped. Again, whether that's true or not, we'll never know, but I believe during the huge Zeppelin discussions/flame wars over at the Den in 2006 Freezer did make the claim that he also had film of the Baton Rouge '75 show. But it was probably just a wind up at the expense of the "Gimme Gimme Entitlement Crowd" whom Freezer loved so much :lol:

Of course, we do have the silent 8mm footage from 19/5/77 Baton Rouge which at this point is all that circulates from that particular show...he may have been thinking of that instead (and it wouldn't surprise me if Freezer was in cahoots with that cameraman)

I digress, though...my 'holy grail' would be any more hitherto unseen '77 footage (naturally)...at this late date, even film from Tempe would make the nut (and would probably be damn interesting to watch...)

• 2 weeks later...

For me Bath Festival '70 - the gig which really broke them in the UK. I remember reading somewhere a guy was filming it when he was caught by Peter Grant and had water poured over his equipment - spoilsport!

A 30 fragment with audio synced exists.

• 1 year later...

.... Fans, Here is The Huntley Film Archives/Commercial Suppliers of Films to Industry, Education, etc.. - Huntley Film Archives has the following Led Zeppelin Footage in their archive - I am very thankful to Ms. Amanda Huntely and Ms. Caroline Jenkins for some additional details on the films:

http://www.huntleyarchives.com/

1)Film: 4621 Music | 1970 | Sound | Colour Clip: An online film clip is not available yet, please contact us for a viewing Synopsis:Led Zeppelin

I received these details, further, from Ms. Caroline Jenkins Huntley Film Archives yesterday...

'I've had a look at film 4621 and it appears to be a trailer for 'A Song remains the Same'
including some footage of LZ in concert."

... I have sent them further inquiry that perhaps the concert is from 1973 Song Remains the Same Footage, not 1970? I will update further when reply received;
-----------------------
Film: 32922
Music | 1980 | Mute | Colour
Clip:
An online film clip is not available yet, please contact us for a viewing
Synopsis:
Takes for singer Robert Plant (ex of Led Zeppelin) promo video.
Plant sits in a chair going through notes, looks thoughtful, he has a perm. He writes in a book, a dog walks up and Plant laughs. He pretends to sleep. Another angle of the same, he looks upwards as if in deep thought. More shots of him sleeping. A woman takes his book away. Shot vertically down of Robert Plant answering the telephone. Another shot looking down at him in his living room. The woman comes down the stairs. Puts the dog out. Close up of the fire in the hearth. Woman shuts the curtains.

----------
..and further details from Ms. Caroline Jenkins on this Film:
"Film 32922 is a film which needs work on before running through the steenbeck to dvd and digitise and this will only happen when workload allows."

here is one clip available non-commercial on line Promoter Gerry Weintraub talks about VIntage Era and LZ...
http://www.huntleyarchives.com/searchresult.php?keywords=Led+Zeppelin&option=all&filmCategory=&filmDecade=&filmSound=&filmColour=&filmNumber=

I have requested further details as to copyright, release to public, etc...this is all I have the moment in terms of details...

The Robert Plant outtakes for Promo are non-paid work as it is considered, thus, can be loaded for viewing online, and it will have 2nd priority after paid work.....

Archived