Top 10 Greatest Rock Guitarists Ever - Jimmy Page At Nº 3

RTHB

Well, at least this list has changed up a bit from the same ole' same ole'. Now if ever I see Hendrix bumped from the #1 spot, I'll be surprised. I'm glad to see Gilmour at #2, (if it had to be someone over Page) and Clapton way down on this one. A list is a list as we have ALL said here before at one time or another, it doesn't really change our own opinions nor does it matter...except for conversation sake- but it is refreshing to see it changed up a bit, from the typical RS poll or otherwise.

No one's better than Hendrix,

Not in my book...and alot of others share that same sediment-even if it's not the majority here. I think Hendrix was a great guitarist, but he didn't grab me the way Page or Gilmour did. It's a taste thing. I think Hendix best delivery was within his solo's. They were otherworldly-yet caked on by effects (distortion, reverb, flange, phaser, chorus, wah-wah, etc) To me Page was much more of a versatile player, even early on. While Page was not as flashy, he excelled in composition and arrangement - which are the most important ingredients/parts to a song.

The thing I love most about Page and Gilmour is that they both shared that special quality when it came to that part in the song (solo) when that one note was hit at the perfect time that put the whole thing into another dimention. It wasn't always about speed with those guys, (even though they did it) but being caught in the moment of the song and having the guitar talk. That one emotional note = 1,000 flashy scales. That's what those guys had that impressed the hell out of me and made me a fan. Hendrix didn't knock me out in that category. I'm not saying he wasn't an emotional player, but not on the same level with a few of his contemporaries. Hendrix was generally more aggressive than most players.

One thing I can't stand is when you see someone wearing a Hendix shirt , but they know hardly anything about him or his music. They just know he was an iconic figure. To me that sums up the whole thing with the polls too. It's like an accepted/popular trend that will never die.

When Hendrix came out doing what he did, nobody around him was playing like that. Very loud, aggressive, setting his "beloved angel" on fire, playing with his teeth. You can't imagine how that blew people away back then, seeing that for the first time. That along with all of these different effects he was using made his guitar sound like it was from MARS.

His antics, were just as much a part of him as his playing. Hands down, he started the whole idea of pushing it to the limit. So from that standpoint he deserves what he has been honored with. And I believe that is the main reason for his world-wide fame.

While I think he was the most innovative of his time, from the examples above, his guitar playing alone (composition, song -writing, "the whole package in one", etc) has been equalled and arguably surpassed, IMO.

Again, it's about your own individual taste.

Interesting list....can anyone tell me the translation for this comment below the first top 10 list >>"Por cierto,en un divertimento anterior fue publicada la lista de esta casa:[/]<<

Below this comment is another list where Neil Young was rated at #5 above Jimi Hendrix so I'm very curious what that secondary list is all about. I tried to use Google to translate, but it didn't make sense what it came back with.

At any rate, agree best guitarists are an individual preference, but I was still disappointed to see Steve Howe did not make either list. I often have seen him called a very "technical" player. But I'm not sure why that would be a negative? Maybe someone who plays/knows guitar better than me can comment (that would be a large pool of people here!) :) missy

Interesting list....can anyone tell me the translation for this comment below the first top 10 list >>"Por cierto,en un divertimento anterior fue publicada la lista de esta casa:[/]<<

Below this comment is another list where Neil Young was rated at #5 above Jimi Hendrix so I'm very curious what that secondary list is all about. I tried to use Google to translate, but it didn't make sense what it came back with.

translation:

Indeed, the list of this House was published in a previous divertimento (fun, amusement)

Not in my book...and alot of others share that same sediment-even if it's not the majority here. I think Hendrix was a great guitarist, but he didn't grab me the way Page or Gilmour did. It's a taste thing. I think Hendix best delivery was within his solo's. They were otherworldly-yet caked on by effects (distortion, reverb, flange, phaser, chorus, wah-wah, etc) To me Page was much more of a versatile player, even early on. While Page was not as flashy, he excelled in composition and arrangement - which are the most important ingredients/parts to a song.

The thing I love most about Page and Gilmour is that they both shared that special quality when it came to that part in the song (solo) when that one note was hit at the perfect time that put the whole thing into another dimention. It wasn't always about speed with those guys, (even though they did it) but being caught in the moment of the song and having the guitar talk. That one emotional note = 1,000 flashy scales. That's what those guys had that impressed the hell out of me and made me a fan. Hendrix didn't knock me out in that category. I'm not saying he wasn't an emotional player, but not on the same level with a few of his contemporaries. Hendrix was generally more aggressive than most players.

One thing I can't stand is when you see someone wearing a Hendix shirt , but they know hardly anything about him or his music. They just know he was an iconic figure. To me that sums up the whole thing with the polls too. It's like an accepted/popular trend that will never die.

When Hendrix came out doing what he did, nobody around him was playing like that. Very loud, aggressive, setting his "beloved angel" on fire, playing with his teeth. You can't imagine how that blew people away back then, seeing that for the first time. That along with all of these different effects he was using made his guitar sound like it was from MARS.

His antics, were just as much a part of him as his playing. Hands down, he started the whole idea of pushing it to the limit. So from that standpoint he deserves what he has been honored with. And I believe that is the main reason for his world-wide fame.

While I think he was the most innovative of his time, from the examples above, his guitar playing alone (composition, song -writing, "the whole package in one", etc) has been equalled and arguably surpassed, IMO.

Again, it's about your own individual taste.

Don't get me wrong; Gilmour is my favorite guitarist, so you don't need to sell his talent and abilities to me. I'm just saying that as great as I think he is, I think Hendrix is just a little bit better. Not miles better, not eons better, just a little bit better.

I think the Double-Dutch is something about this list having been previously published elswhere.

Regarding Steve Howe, I think the description of him as 'technical' basically means he doesn't know how to ROCK.

Oh no, you didn't just say that?! Hmm, well you realize now I will have to go find the YES thread and add some Rockin' Steve Howe to it. :)

translation:

Indeed, the list of this House was published in a previous divertimento (fun, amusement)

Thanks RH, it's unusual wording but I take it they mean it was a list published for fun only? Too bad they didn't say who or how many voted. I'm still surprised, but happy that Neil Young hit #5. Missy

Sorry for that of "divertimento" is a term used colloquially to refer to a way to make a interrealción with other people. That list was the special vote of the web in a study involving eleven people connected with the world of Rock. The final list of votes product can be found here:

http://www.rockthebestmusic.com/2012/03/los-20-mejores-guitarristas-de-la_4931.html

As you can see Jimmy Page won the most votes.

And I say, for that matter, it would be ok to open a vote here on the best guitarists in history, although it is quite clear who would be one that would occupy the first place.

That's a great Archie Bunker - type quote, gotta love it...

:hysterical: I hear ya....my sentiments-exactly!

Question: Do you just troll (or "trawl" -if ya like shrimpin') the boards for peoples misspelled words, (and post em' back "bold") or are ya just being cute- since you had nuttin' else to post on the thread topic...?

I'll take it you just have a good sense of humor since you threw in some Archie...In which case, I can deal with that. ;)

:hysterical: I hear ya....my sentiments-exactly!

Question: Do you just troll (or "trawl" -if ya like shrimpin') the boards for peoples misspelled words, (and post em' back "bold") or are ya just being cute- since you had nuttin' else to post on the thread topic...?

I'll take it you just have a good sense of humor since you threw in some Archie...In which case, I can deal with that. ;)

Please do take it the way you last described. I've never called out a misspelling - in this case you had one mangled word within an otherwise well worded reply that kinda put a bunch of your fellow posters at some primordial level which seemed amusing.

As far as Gilmour versus Hendrix, Gilmour is much more polished. I love and admire Hendrix' work - but for pure listening purposes, who cares about playing with your teeth, behind your back, doing sombersaults or whatever.

Please do take it the way you last described. I've never called out a misspelling - in this case you had one mangled word within an otherwise well worded reply that kinda put a bunch of your fellow posters at some primordial level which seemed amusing.

As far as Gilmour versus Hendrix, Gilmour is much more polished. I love and admire Hendrix' work - but for pure listening purposes, who cares about playing with your teeth, behind your back, doing sombersaults or whatever.

Ah, your my kinda fella Jimmie Ray Cyrus.... Thanks for takin' notice!

I guess now that you mention it, I didn't get much feedback/explanation or conversation from some "posters" who deem Hendrix the "Cre'me de la Cre'me" of guitarist, did I ? I think there was a great deal of truth in what I said, referring to the reasons he (Hendrix) is constantly listed above all others.

"Primordial" is an excellent word choice (that you used) ....although I like to describe it (them) as being "dumbfounded" or "speechless" by the "essay". (Not that I expected a debate...but hey, this IS the LZ Forum)

Maybe you can tag along and be my personal Thesaurus/Dictionary.

English was my best subject at one time....

In the words of Mr. Plant - "Nah, leave it in, yeah".

Ok, so Hendrix did the "playing behind the back" thing and "playing with his teeth" and "setting the instrument on fire"....

But, what if Hendrix had played the guitar in this..... :chickeddance: ???

This is the worst list I've ever seen.

Worse than this list?

HEAVY METAL HANK'S TOP 10 MOST AWESOMEST GUITAR PLAYERS

1. CC Deville

2. Mick Mars

3. Ace Frehley

4. Tiny Tim

5. Punky Meadows

6. Janick Gers

7. Leslie West

8. Robbin Crosby

9. Chris Holmes