Bring out your dead!

joe (Liverpool)

I probably have well over 1000 vinyl records and close to 2000 compact discs in my collection. At this point there is really no one in my family I can think of that is going to want any of that when I die. However, there is the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill that most likely will. Not a pleasant subject to think about but that's the reality of it. At least they won't just get thrown in a dumpster somewhere. I'm sure some folks here have heard about Paul Mawhinney who, over the years, has amassed the world's largest record collection. In The Archive, a documentary about him that originally aired on PBS in 2010, he was unable to find anyone that wanted to buy it (keep in mind, I believe his collection is somewhere around, if not over, one million albums). I'm not sure if he's since been able to find a buyer but hopefully someone will come along that's interested. If nothing else, it sounds like the sort of thing that could at least be donated to the Library of Congress. I've posted this previously but for those that haven't seen it, here's the documentary:

A Peruvian collector owns over 10,000 vinyl LPs.

At some point during the 70s he starved for a week just to be able to afford LPs.

"In those days (the 70s) Alberto Candia was seen as a weird guy. He sported long hair and very tight jeans, much like the rock stars of the period. The Cusco-native was spellbound by music and the aesthetics of bands like Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin and The Who. He was a sort of Jimmy Page wearing his deranged look all across town. People used to call him "slacker", "drug addict" or "homosexual". (...) There were people like the American hippies who, on the other hand, gave him a knowing smile and were drawn to the city by the Inca spirituality. It was through his interactions with Americans, talking to them and exchanging absolutely obscure albums that he acquired a sort of rock music PhD. He was one of the first Peruvians to have in his hands Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which was given to him by an American a few weeks after the U.K.'s album release in March 1973".

(own translation).

http://www.larepubli...-de-los-vinilos