Mothership #7 on Billboard

Mothership is still a steady seller across Europe. In Germany, it's currently #5 (down from #4 last week), in Austria it's #6 (down from #4 last week) and in Denmark it's #9 (up from #15 last week). In most countries it's either still in the top 10 or at least in the top 20. Sales are much higher than sales for Remasters back in 1990.

• 3 weeks later...

Mothership has been certified Gold in Switzerland. Platinum should follow in a couple of weeks. In Germany (where the album is still in the top 10, at #8), Gold certification is due very soon. And in Italy, the album is climbing up the album charts again (this week #15, last week #20, week before #21; peak #9). LZ DVD is currently #12 in Italy's music video charts.

i think it would have a higher rating, but younger kids don't really listen to led zeppelin that much. Sometimes it seems that the music that hits no.1 is usually some ©rap some song that has the same basic principles of every other ©rap song.

Is anyone else surprised that Mothership isn't even Gold yet at this point, I mean, considering Garth Brooks new greatest hits is at 5 million already, and Eagles new album is at 7 million, has Zeppelin lost a smidge of it's billboard mojo? It still in the top 40 though, has reported "strong" sales and considering Zep is at 107 million total US sales, I would think Mothership would have gone platinum by now. Could "Early and Latter Days" parts 1 & 2 already released with same basic songs have impacted this? The Mothership DVD that comes with the CD/DVD Mothership version is #7 on the Billboard top music DVD's though. It's a tight package, cool pics and book, and sounds better than Remasters for sure. The clarity, punch, and mix on "Achilles Last Stand" is staggering, f'in HUGE through Mackie HR-824 monitors, it's so killer, can't stop listening to Jones deep yet detailed "muted scrapes" picking technique. The bass on ALS broke new ground for Jones. Worth the price of Mothership alone IMO.

Is anyone else surprised that Mothership isn't even Gold yet at this point, I mean, considering Garth Brooks new greatest hits is at 5 million already, and Eagles new album is at 7 million, has Zeppelin lost a smidge of it's billboard mojo? It still in the top 40 though, has reported "strong" sales and considering Zep is at 107 million total US sales, I would think Mothership would have gone platinum by now. Could "Early and Latter Days" parts 1 & 2 already released with same basic songs have impacted this? The Mothership DVD that comes with the CD/DVD Mothership version is #7 on the Billboard top music DVD's though. It's a tight package, cool pics and book, and sounds better than Remasters for sure. The clarity, punch, and mix on "Achilles Last Stand" is staggering, f'in HUGE through Mackie HR-824 monitors, it's so killer, can't stop listening to Jones deep yet detailed "muted scrapes" picking technique. The bass on ALS broke new ground for Jones. Worth the price of Mothership alone IMO.

You are comparing the Eagles with new material to Led Zeppelin.Mothership which is like their. 8th compiliation/box set release. The sales of Mothership obviously were cannabalized from prior releases.

Mothership has sold 2 million copies worldwide which is amazing considering there really aint anything new here

Mothership is platinum in USA,it just has not been certified yet.730,000,(2 disc so that is 1.5 million units).These are scanned numbers,must have shipped more.In Canada it sold probably around 65,000. These are remarkable numbers given the penetration of Zeppelin in those two markets

UK 500,000

Japan 100,000

Italy 85,000

France 75,000

Germany it has gone gold(Not sure if that means 250,000, i think the certificatin levels were changed )

New Zeland( It was the number 1 album of 2007!)

UK 500,000

Japan 100,000

Italy 85,000

France 75,000

Germany it has gone gold(Not sure if that means 250,000, i think the certificatin levels were changed )

As stated above. "Gold" means 100,000 copies in Germany. But I'm sure Mothership will soon go Platinum (200,000 copies), it's still a solid seller (currently still at #15). In Germany, as well as in most other countries outside the US, it doesn't matter if a release is 1, 2 or 3 CDs/DVDs. You need to sell 100,000 (200,000) copies of the whole set to get certified.

As stated above. "Gold" means 100,000 copies in Germany. But I'm sure Mothership will soon go Platinum (200,000 copies), it's still a solid seller (currently still at #15). In Germany, as well as in most other countries outside the US, it doesn't matter if a release is 1, 2 or 3 CDs/DVDs. You need to sell 100,000 (200,000) copies of the whole set to get certified.

Donald , if memory serves me correctly in Germany Gold used to be 250,000 and platinum 500,000 so i guess certifications levels were changed

Donald in Germany Gold used to be 250,000 so i guess the certification level was changed

True, it had been adjusted at least twice due to decreasing record sales. Originally, Gold was 250,000 units and Platinum was 500,000 units.

By the way, now that there's more global standardization in the certification process through the IFPI, I'm not so sure anymore if the number of discs within a set do actually matter in some countries or not...

True, it had been adjusted at least twice due to decreasing record sales. Originally, Gold was 250,000 units and Platinum was 500,000 units.

By the way, now that there's more global standardization in the certification process through the IFPI, I'm not so sure anymore if the number of discs within a set do actually matter in some countries or not...

I know in Canada and USA they count number of discs.

I suspect in other countries like Australia they do the same thing but i am not sure.Remasters went 10X Platinum in Australia

You are comparing the Eagles with new material to Led Zeppelin.Mothership which is like their. 8th compiliation/box set release. The sales of Mothership obviously were cannabalized from prior releases.

Mothership has sold 2 million copies worldwide which is amazing considering there really aint anything new here

Mothership is platinum in USA,it just has not been certified yet.730,000,(2 disc so that is 1.5 million units).These are scanned numbers,must have shipped more.In Canada it sold probably around 65,000. These are remarkable numbers given the penetration of Zeppelin in those two markets

UK 500,000

Japan 100,000

Italy 85,000

France 75,000

I think you're right. Mothership did well for what it is, just another best of compilation. What makes me wonder though is that the remixed and expanded TSRTS is selling NOTHING, nowhere in the world! I mean, it's practically a new live album from Led Zeppelin, six additional songs, different versions of the old songs, great sound and a luxury packaging! But only die-hard collectors seem to buy it. That's what I call an extremely poor Marketing job. Same applies to TSRTS DVD.

I think you're right. Mothership did well for what it is, just another best of compilation. What makes me wonder though is that the remixed and expanded TSRTS is selling NOTHING, nowhere in the world! I mean, it's practically a new live album from Led Zeppelin, six additional songs, different versions of the old songs, great sound and a luxury packaging! But only die-hard collectors seem to buy it. That's what I call an extremely poor Marketing job. Same applies to TSRTS DVD.

THe DVD sold much better than you think. It was completely sold out a week before Christmas where i live(a very big Zeppelin market).The Collector's edition was sold out completely in like 3 days. I spolke to retailers who could not order addiitional shipments,which cost them sales over the Christmas period.

THe CD did not do nearly as well but i figured it sold about 125.000 worldwide.

If Mothership sold over 700,000 in US as mentioned above, shouldn't it at least be certified Gold (500,000)?

As far as the remastered TSRTS CD, the original sold 4 million, so I'm surprised the new one didn't chart very well (especially with the name Led Zeppelin on it, an official release), and as far as the new TSRTS DVD, it didn't exactly help that they pulled the DVD over that "legal issue". It doesn't matter, I got mine and I love the shit out of it!

If Mothership sold over 700,000 in US as mentioned above, shouldn't it at least be certified Gold (500,000)?

When a record is certified is up to record company not RIAA.

The record company WEA must request an audit by RIAA before a certification is issued.This costs money and right now certifications are not a top priority for record companies

When a record is certified is up to record company not RIAA.

The record company WEA must request an audit by RIAA before a certification is issued.This costs money and right now certifications are not a top priority for record companies

If you look at the billboard top 200 charts, there's tons of artists certified gold and platinum left and right, surely Zeppelin is important enough to get certified in an equally timely manner? For instance, HTWWW came in at #1 and was certified Platinum almost immediately. I know charts don't really matter as far as quality, just curious.

UK 500,000

Japan 100,000

Italy 85,000

France 75,000

Just curious, where did you find these sales figures? Billboard?

If you look at the billboard top 200 charts, there's tons of artists certified gold and platinum left and right, surely Zeppelin is important enough to get certified in an equally timely manner? For instance, HTWWW came in at #1 and was certified Platinum almost immediately. I know charts don't really matter as far as quality, just curious.

Early Days/Latter Days scanned 1.6 million so it should be triple platinum but request to update certification apparently has not been made. It may never be made because that released has been deleted

"Mothership" certified Double Platinum in USA one million copies shipped(2 million units)

Artist

LED ZEPPELIN Title

MOTHERSHIP Certification Date

02/07/2008 Label

RHINO

Award Description

2.00x MULTI PLATINUM Format

ALBUM Category

GROUP Type

ST

Archived