Going to Clarksdale next weekend...

I am looking forward to catching Robert and the Sensational Space Shifters next weekend (8/11) in Clarksdale, MS.

Has anyone here ever attended the Sunflower Blues Fest? My husband grew up in the area but we've never attended the Fest.

I am from New Orleans, so i am a Jazz Fest pro, where we always just make our spot by a favorite stage and hang out all day drinking, and coming and going as we want ....but i realize Clarksdale is probably a whole different atmosphere.

Chairs? Cooler?

Any info would be great.

Hi Bayougal65, from another bayou gal. :wave: Really can't give you any info on this festival, but I want to hear details after.

My husband and I thought about going back when it was first announced, but that was back in April before it got really hot. Then we started thinking outdoor festival, Mississippi Delta, early Aug., maybe not a good idea. It's probably going to be hotter than the surface of the sun. :veryhot: Bless you for going . . . . . . . I'm going to stay in the AC and wait for details.

Hi Bayougal65, from another bayou gal. :wave: Really can't give you any info on this festival, but I want to hear details after.

My husband and I thought about going back when it was first announced, but that was back in April before it got really hot. Then we started thinking outdoor festival, Mississippi Delta, early Aug., maybe not a good idea. It's probably going to be hotter than the surface of the sun. :veryhot: Bless you for going . . . . . . . I'm going to stay in the AC and wait for details.

Hi Justawoman!

Thanks for replying.

I know the heat will be bad and the bugs will be worse, but we caught BOJ at Jazzfest last year and we are really curious to see the latest RP creative vehicle. He is such a wonderful artist!

We read on the official Sunflower Fest website that coolers are not allowed. I do hope cold, potent potables are sold! :)

And I will do my best to post pics and a review!

Great news for you Bayougal! Have a good time; I'm sure it will be a fantastic show! Look forward to your words and photos of the concert.

Thanks Strider! We are really looking forward to it.

By the way y'all, I just learned Patty Griffin will start her 1st solo tour in 12 years in NOLA at Tipitinas in October.

I doubt Robert would appear so as not to steal her thunder, but it would be cool if he did guest for a song or two since it is her first tour stop! :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa ........... do you know the dates in Oct. that she's performing? We've got to be in N.O. for a week in Oct. for business (not that we can't go to N.O. twice in Oct., but it would be great if it was at the same time). And, I don't know so much about Robert not doing a song or two. After Jazz Fest, Patty and Buddy Miller were the line-up at Preservation Hall and Robert showed up on stage for a few songs - wasn't there, but God I wish I was! So ya' never know.......

Hi Bayougal65!

Another Nawlins native here. I am so happy for you. I wanted to attend this so bad. Just to see Robert in that element is going to be nothing shy of amazing IMHO. Then he is in Birmingham, probably going to regret not going.I was hoping he was going to add Atlanta.

Have a great time and I also hope you to share your adventure and some photos.

Hi justawoman^^ I remember us talking about that. Been to Preservation Hall only a few hundred times, did I ever run into Robert...NO :bubble:

Hi Justawoman and Ms. Deb,

Patty will be at Tips on Oct 18th. Doors at 8 show at 9.

They have yet to announce her opening band.

I know y'all!! ...there was plenty of advance buzz about the Preservation Hall show possibilities, so as we left Jazz Fest after seeing BOJ I asked my hubby if he wanted to head to the Quarter for the show, he was like "my heart says yes, but my tired, old body says otherwise!" I didn't argue! Ha!

Now we both could kick ourselves!

Looking forward to Clarksdale and now Patty's show! :)

OMG it was great, I am exhausted!

Great day of blues!

Saw Morgan Freeman and I have to say, Charlie Musslewhite is a force unto himself!

Wonderful set by Robert and Company!

Of which right now the following stand out:

Fixin' to Die

Friends (awesome arrangement)

Spoonful

Witch Doctor

Gallows Pole (another awesome arrangement)

Robert received a special award from the city of Clarksdale for all he does here!

More later, this girl is going to bed!

Glad You Enjoyed it wish I could have attended also from Louisiana Live In Saint Amant near Gonzales La about 45 minutes from New Orleans 30 minutes from Baton Rouge Patty is also playing in Baton Rouge at The Manship Theater real nice intimate Theater

• Administrators

Were the mosquito's tolerable and the heat?

The weather was amazing and by nightfall, it was a cool 77 degrees and very comfortable. I was at the side of the stage most of the show and the mosquito's weren't a problem there. Not sure about in the crowd. I got a few nasty ones in Memphis though.

The weather was amazing and by nightfall, it was a cool 77 degrees and very comfortable. I was at the side of the stage most of the show and the mosquito's weren't a problem there. Not sure about in the crowd. I got a few nasty ones in Memphis though.

Yeah, I saw the ones from the side of the stage. Also, the crowd pics are great...looks like a good 10,000 or so, huh? So what was the size of the venue (attendance) -any guess/idea? And how long was his set?

Still headed back to NOLA....

Sam, so glad you got good pics, mine suck, I think.

Mosquitoes were not a problem in the crowd at all!

The venue lay-out sucked! I know being from NOLA I am spoiled but good grief!

A huge, huge chunk of space in front of the stage was cordoned off for VIPs, it was so bad the chairman of the Fest apologized and promised next year would be better!

• Administrators

Robert Plant walks into Clarksdale and wows huge crowd

Robert Plant proved to Clarksdale, Mississippi that he is a master of the blues. Saturday, August 11, 2012 was a beautiful night in Clarksdale as Plant, along with his band the Sensational Space Shifters, headlined the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival. He hit the stage about 10:15. During the show he talked about how much the Delta Blues meant to him and he showed it in his setlist, covering a couple Howlin” Wolf songs, “44″ and “Spoonful,” and the old John Mayall song “I”m Your Witchdoctor.”

Plant may be a legend, but he”s not afraid to step aside and let his band mates shine too. Patty Griffin sang a couple songs and West African acoustic virtuoso Juldeh Camara played some amazing music for the crowd that packed the park and left many watching from the road.

Of course, Plant satisfied his Led Zeppelin fans with a few songs from Led Zeppelin”s third album, “Friends,” “The Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp” and the show encore, “Gallows Pole.” The crowd favorite was his more subdued version of the classic “Black Dog.” The show ended with a medley of “Who Do You Love,” “Whole Lotta Love,” “Steal Away” and “Bury My Body.”

Before the encore, Robert Plant was honored with an award for his dedication to the festival and the music of Clarksdale, Mississippi. This was the first of only two shows Plant will be playing in the United States this year.

http://www.examiner....wows-huge-crowd

Feel the same way Al...maybe next year.

From that article, it appears that's it for SSS in the U.S. Just like Priory of Brion, they're here and gone in a flash. I've got a feeling the next Robert Plant appearances in the U.S. will be with the Band of Joy touring their second album.

Oh well, it was a longshot the SSS would hit L.A.

Thanks everyone, sam especially, for the writeups and photos...your phone didn't do such a bad job, sam.

Thanks Sam got sharing the pics and video. Just wish I could have heard more of what Robert said over the crowd noise. Could make out something about Hwy. 49 and Sonny Boy Williamson but that's it. Being somewhat familiar with that area, I wish I could hear more of his statement.

Glad you and Bayougal had a great time and that the weather cooperated! Y'all lucked out - a weather system came through the night before and cooled (if you can call it that - LOL) things off a bit!!!!!!!

Archived