CLASSIC FILM REELS AT THE LED ZEPPELIN PLAZA

betteremily

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch classic movies?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you or anyone you've known ever said "I cannot watch this because it's in black and white"

• Yes
    • No
    • What the fu*k?

Is that the same as Das Testement des Dr. Mabuse? That movie was from the '40s and was actually banned in Nazi Germany by Hitler. It's a really good movie, though. Very creepy.

No, "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" is the second film of Fritz Lang's Dr. Mabuse trilogy, and it came out in 1933. When Hitler assumed power, Goebbels had it banned.

Redrum was watching Fritz Lang's first Dr. Mabuse film, "Dr. Mabuse der Spieler"(the Gambler), which was released in 1922 with a running time of around 270 minutes. Being 1922, it was a silent movie, whereas "The Testament..." is sound.

Ekstase (Austrian and Czech title for Ecstasy) is one of my favorite movies. In 1933, it was the first pre-code movie to show a woman having an orgasm (and didn't even have to show her naked body!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJs_F_z_McM

Of course with the ever so beautiful Hedy Lamarr ^_^

post-20397-0-75102700-1347339314_thumb.j

I'm reading a book called 'Hedy's Folly' that talks about her torpedo guidance system she invented with George Anthiel.

Veddy een-ter-es-tink!!

She hated the stigma of being called the most beautiful woman in the world and had to escape her rich husband.

^^^

Beauty and brains!

Yeah, the 'frequency hopping' thing is fascinating...and George Antheil is an interesting person in his own right; an early avant-garde industrial music pioneer.

As good as "Hedy's Folly" is when it sticks to her and George's scientific collaboration, for a better overall biography, I suggest Stephen Michael Shearer's "Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0312550987/ref=mp_sim_s_2?pi=SL500_SY125

No, "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" is the second film of Fritz Lang's Dr. Mabuse trilogy, and it came out in 1933. When Hitler assumed power, Goebbels had it banned.

Redrum was watching Fritz Lang's first Dr. Mabuse film, "Dr. Mabuse der Spieler"(the Gambler), which was released in 1922 with a running time of around 270 minutes. Being 1922, it was a silent movie, whereas "The Testament..." is sound.

Interesting, I didn't know it was part of a trilogy. Thanks for the clarification, Strider.

^^^

Beauty and brains!

Yeah, the 'frequency hopping' thing is fascinating...and George Antheil is an interesting person in his own right; an early avant-garde industrial music pioneer.

As good as "Hedy's Folly" is when it sticks to her and George's scientific collaboration, for a better overall biography, I suggest Stephen Michael Shearer's "Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr".

http://www.amazon.co...?pi=SL500_SY125

I'll have to order it from the library. We just went to King County and they have a vast collection of books, movies and music.

I just watched Charlton Heston's firsy film: 'Dark City' (1950). Also had Jack Webb and Harry Morgan. Dean Jagger was great as the detective.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I recorded "House of Dracula" and "Mark of the Vampire" on TCM. I noticed Robert Osborne is looking sick, or maybe just

showing a bit of age....anyone else notice that?

This is the best time of year for TCM.....so many classic horror movies!

• 1 month later...

Last night I recorded "House of Dracula" and "Mark of the Vampire" on TCM. I noticed Robert Osborne is looking sick, or maybe just

showing a bit of age....anyone else notice that?

This is the best time of year for TCM.....so many classic horror movies!

Mark of the Vampire is one of my favorite movies.

Another movie they were showing around Halloween that I saw for the first time was Dr. X. Excellent film and very scary for the time in which it was made.

And I have also noticed that Robert is looking frail as of late. Do you remember last year when he was seemingly on an extended "vacation" and guest presenters were brought in to fill in for him? I wonder if maybe he was sick at the time.

Mark of the Vampire is one of my favorite movies.

Another movie they were showing around Halloween that I saw for the first time was Dr. X. Excellent film and very scary for the time in which it was made.

And I have also noticed that Robert is looking frail as of late. Do you remember last year when he was seemingly on an extended "vacation" and guest presenters were brought in to fill in for him? I wonder if maybe he was sick at the time.

I haven't watched dr x yet, I'll look out for that....I was thinking the same thing at the time of the guest presenters.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW YORK, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- A piano briefly seen in 1942's "Casablanca" sold at auction for $602,500, about half of the highest estimates for the item, New York's Sotheby's said.

The winning bidder, whose name was not reported, bid $500,000 on the item Friday, though commissions added $102,000 to the total, The New York Times reported. Sotheby's had estimated the piano would sell for between $800,000 and $1.2 million.

The piano was one of two used in "Casablanca," and was small, with 58 keys, 30 fewer than a conventional piano.

It was used in a flashback scene at a Paris cafe named "La Belle Aurore." The piano was on camera for 1 minute and 10 seconds, and actor Dooley Wilson, who played Sam in the classic film, mimicked playing it while singing in the film, the Times reported.

Sotheby's last auctioned the piano in 1988 for $155,000, the second-highest price for Hollywood memorabilia at the time, the newspaper said.

Old-age-is-no-place-for-sissies-Bette-Davis-classic-movies-16367650-1280-1004.jpgThe Lovely Bette Davis

tumblr_md52toP5UW1rk63xco1_1280.jpg

Ruth Elizabeth "Bette" Davis (April 5, 1908 – October 6, 1989) was an American actress of film, television and theater. Noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic characters, she was highly regarded for her performances in a range of film genres, from contemporary crime melodramas to historical and period films and occasional comedies, although her greatest successes were her roles in romantic dramas.

After appearing in Broadway plays, Davis moved to Hollywood in 1930, but her early films for Universal Studios were unsuccessful. She joined Warner Bros. in 1932 and established her career with several critically acclaimed performances. In 1937, she attempted to free herself from her contract and although she lost a well-publicized legal case, it marked the beginning of the most successful period of her career. Until the late 1940s, she was one of American cinema's most celebrated leading ladies, known for her forceful and intense style. Davis gained a reputation as a perfectionist who could be highly combative, and confrontations with studio executives, film directors and costars were often reported. Her forthright manner, clipped vocal style and ubiquitous cigarette contributed to a public persona which has often been imitated and satirized.

Davis was the co-founder of the Hollywood Canteen, and was the first female president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. She won the Academy Award for Best Actress twice, was the first person to accrue 10 Academy Award nominations for acting, and was the first woman to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute. Her career went through several periods of eclipse, and she admitted that her success had often been at the expense of her personal relationships. Married four times, she was once widowed and thrice divorced, and raised her children as a single parent. Her final years were marred by a long period of ill health, but she continued acting until shortly before her death from breast cancer, with more than 100 films, television and theater roles to her credit. In 1999, Davis was placed second, after Katharine Hepburn, on the American Film Institute's list of the greatest female stars of all time.

Wikipedia

Some Forbidden Planet facts from IMDb :

The model of the "flying saucer" style Earth space cruiser was retained by the MGM prop department and subsequently used in a number of productions on the MGM lot, including the "To Serve Man" of the "Twilight Zone". Robby the Robot, his ground transporter, and crew uniforms would be used on that show as well. The Spaceship C57D, models and full-size prop was actually used in seven episodes of "Twilight Zone". The list is as follows by season, "Third from the Sun", "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street", "The Invaders", "To Serve Man", "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby", "Death Ship" and "On Thursday We Leave for Home". Robby's vehicle does appear in one episode. In "The Rip Van Winkle Caper", at the end when the final surviving gold thief is dying, a futuristic car stops and he begs for water. This is Robby's vehicle. The crew's outfits were used in a number of episodes, not to mention also in "The Time Machine" along with some props. The flickering force-field fence-posts appeared in "Atlantis, the Lost Continent" and were last seen being placed at the bottom of the ocean in "Around the World Under the Sea".

Filmed on the same sound-stage on which the movie "The Wizard of Oz" had been filmed seventeen years earlier; the set of Altaira's garden is a reuse of the Munchkin Village set from The Wizard of Oz.

"Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry has been quoted as saying that this film was a major inspiration for the series.... The planet on which Edward and Altaira Morbius live is Altair IV, which according to "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" is also a Federation planet.... Warren Stevens, who plays "Doc" here, would later be a guest star in 1968's "By Any Other Name", where the true shape of the alien Kelvans, like the Krell in this movie, was implied to be extremely non-humanoid but never shown...... The time aboard the C57D is stated as being 17:01 hours when the ship enters orbit around Altair IV. Gene Roddenberry would later use 1701 as the naval construction contract number of the Starship Enterprise.

Score notes via wiki :

Forbidden Planet features the groundbreaking use of an all-electronic music musical score. .... credited as "electronic tonalities" –partly to avoid having to pay any of the film industry music guild fees [citation needed] – was composed by Louis and Bebe Barron. MGM producer Dore Schary discovered the couple quite by chance at a beatnik nightclub in Greenwich Village while on a family Christmas visit to New York City; Schary hired them on the spot to compose his film's musical score. While the theremin (which was not used in Forbidden Planet) had been used on the soundtrack of Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound (1945), the Barrons' electronic composition is credited with being the first completely electronic film score; their soundtrack preceded the invention of the Moog synthesizer by eight years (1964). ..... Using ideas and procedures from the book, Cybernetics: Or, Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine (1948) by the mathematician and electrical engineer Norbert Wiener, Louis Barron constructed his own electronic circuits that he used to generate the score's "bleeps, blurps, whirs, whines, throbs, hums, and screeches". [11] Most of these sounds were generated using an electronic circuit called a "ring modulator". After recording the basic sounds, the Barrons further manipulated the sounds by adding other effects, such as reverberation and delay, and reversing or changing the speeds of certain sounds.....

post-841-0-74447900-1356191025_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

FYI........

Sony Movie Channel is running a string of Harryhausen's films today. JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA, THE 7 TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, FIRST MEN IN THE MOON and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, among a host of others.

post-841-0-26187000-1367152748_thumb.jpg

Archived