CLASSIC FILM REELS AT THE LED ZEPPELIN PLAZA

betteremily

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch classic movies?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you or anyone you've known ever said "I cannot watch this because it's in black and white"

• Yes
    • No
    • What the fu*k?

I think that just because a film may use CGI, it doesn't necessarily mean that the acting is somehow subpar or lacking or that it relies on the CGI alone to engage the viewer. I'm sure there more examples but the first one to come mind is Forrest Gump. They've done a whole more with CGI since then but considering how it new it was then (19994), I thought it was incorporated pretty seamlessly into that film. In more recent memory, the job Andy Serkis did in Rise of the Planet of the Apes was pretty remarkable, especially considering the amount of CGI that was utilized in the making of that film. It's not exactly Oscar material plot-wise but I don't think the use of CGI in that movie ever detracted from it. It still required Serkis to act and for his co-stars to react to him even though his character was completely generated by a computer.

I saw The Wolfman for the first time today thanks to the best channel on basic cable (TCM). I really enjoy horror films with a story line and not gore-fest films about monster chasing teenagers around. The monsters were not very scary looking but the stories were a lot better than most of the horror films today. I'm also jealous of how classy all the guys used to dress back then.

220px-The-wolfman.jpg8D7A1E652E.jpg

I also saw King Of The Zombies recently as I begin to work my way through the 50 film box set Horror Classics. I couldn't see that making it onto the TV today because of how goofy the black character was someone might get offended and say he was a negative stereotype.

I love old movies. I love Hitchcock, old horror films, Bogart movies, John Wayne movies, etc. etc.

I wonder if the Duke ever made a bad film. I loved how he always came across as tough and still had a sense of humor and an enjoyable personality. Hard to believe he would be 105 if he were still alive.

That woman. Everyone tries, but they'll never compare. It takes a lot of misery to truly capture Marilyn.

Saw this tonight at the American Cinematheque in a gorgeous Technicolor Cinemascope print:

post-1470-0-02064700-1344241069.jpg

My kind of thread. :^)

I love having Netflix because they have a good collection of the classics that I never get tired of watching. Some we've watched recently:

The Asphalt Jungle

Petrified Forest (Bogart)

Paper Moon

The Black Pirate (silent)

Mutiny On The Bounty (Gable)

Seven Samurai

The Artist

Scarlet Street

I agree about most modern films though as the majority of them pretty much suck, but there are some gems in the dung pile if you look hard enough. :^)

I have quite a few listed to watch still.

I think that just because a film may use CGI, it doesn't necessarily mean that the acting is somehow subpar or lacking or that it relies on the CGI alone to engage the viewer. I'm sure there more examples but the first one to come mind is Forrest Gump. They've done a whole more with CGI since then but considering how it new it was then (19994), I thought it was incorporated pretty seamlessly into that film. In more recent memory, the job Andy Serkis did in Rise of the Planet of the Apes was pretty remarkable, especially considering the amount of CGI that was utilized in the making of that film. It's not exactly Oscar material plot-wise but I don't think the use of CGI in that movie ever detracted from it. It still required Serkis to act and for his co-stars to react to him even though his character was completely generated by a computer.

'Melancholia' comes to mind with CGI, but it had a great story with great characters. One of the few new movies I like.

'Melancholia' comes to mind with CGI, but it had a great story with great characters. One of the few new movies I like.

Thanks for the reminder, I still need to see that. I also enjoyed Tree of Life but fully understand why someone wouldn't like it. From all of the reviews I've read it sounds like it was a very polarizing film which even led to some people exiting the theatre.

Thanks for the reminder, I still need to see that. I also enjoyed Tree of Life but fully understand why someone wouldn't like it. From all of the reviews I've read it sounds like it was a very polarizing film which even led to some people exiting the theatre.

Yes, see it when you can. I still want to see 'Tree Of Life' again.

I just watched 'Lord Of The Flies' (1990) (was the pig's head the lord?)

The greatest vampire movie ever made,

release dates : March 4th 1922 (Germany) & June 3rd , 1929 (USA)

Nosferatu

Another excellent film in that genre was 'Vampyr' (1932) directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer.

Yes, see it when you can. I still want to see 'Tree Of Life' again.

I most certainly but unfortunately my DVD player is presently on the fritz.

I just watched 'Lord Of The Flies' (1990) (was the pig's head the lord?)

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I've never seen Lord of the Flies. Hell, I'm not even sure if I've read the book (a travesty, I know).

I most certainly but unfortunately my DVD player is presently on the fritz.

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I've never seen Lord of the Flies. Hell, I'm not even sure if I've read the book (a travesty, I know).

Yeah, the players seem to have a limited life span. :^(

'Lord Of The Flies' was pretty intense. I can see it all happening as you know how cruel kids can and will be.

Actually, this is my Mac Mini (which is also a CD player/burner). I think it went on the fritz after I tried to watch a homemade DVD in it that apparently damaged my drive. It will play some DVD's and CD's but not the vast majority of them. I also can't rip or play CD's anymore.

I saw The Wolfman for the first time today thanks to the best channel on basic cable (TCM). I really enjoy horror films with a story line and not gore-fest films about monster chasing teenagers around. The monsters were not very scary looking but the stories were a lot better than most of the horror films today. I'm also jealous of how classy all the guys used to dress back then.

220px-The-wolfman.jpg8D7A1E652E.jpg

I also saw King Of The Zombies recently as I begin to work my way through the 50 film box set Horror Classics. I couldn't see that making it onto the TV today because of how goofy the black character was someone might get offended and say he was a negative stereotype.

Ive got that box set, some hidden jems in there like "Man Fish " 1956, staring Lon Chaney Jr.

post-841-0-12694300-1344298330.jpg

i love old movies. love just coming across one on a saturday arvo or sometime when i feel like just watching something i haven't seen before. ( most current tv shows suck, imo ).

i love looking at the fashions, the furniture etc. and i love how they speak to eachother so pleasantly. we have lost all that in todays movies, it's all f@*k this and f@*k you mother f#@*?* !!

of course i have a soft spot for the marx brothers movies, love em!

i love old movies. love just coming across one on a saturday arvo or sometime when i feel like just watching something i haven't seen before. ( most current tv shows suck, imo ).

i love looking at the fashions, the furniture etc. and i love how they speak to eachother so pleasantly. we have lost all that in todays movies, it's all f@*k this and f@*k you mother f#@*?* !!

of course i have a soft spot for the marx brothers movies, love em!

I couldn't agree with you more!

My Pick of the Day:

"The Unknown" 1927 starring "The man of a thousand faces" Lon Chaney and Joan Crawford

unknown.jpg

headshotloncheneysr.jpgtumblr_m46ja77EKu1qf6a2zo1_400.jpg

Storyline from IMBD.com:

Alonzo is an armless knife thrower and gun shooter for a circus---or so he appears. He is actually a burglar with his arms intact. He and his accomplice, Cojo (a little person), are hiding from the police, and Alonzo views his disguise as perfect, especially since it keeps from view an unusual deformity of his left hand that would immediately give him away as the burglar. Nanon, the daughter of the circus owner, is the target in his act. Although Alonzo is in love with her, Nanon's father despises him. Nanon is attracted to Malabar, the circus strong man, but she is also repulsed by his uninhibited sexual advances and desire to touch and hold her. Apparently her phobia extends to the touch of any man. Alonzo feeds her fears in the hopes that Nanon will fall in love with him since he is "armless." Because Zanzi discovers Alonzo really has arms, Alonzo kills him, but Nanon witnesses the killing without seeing Alonzo's face; however...

Lon Chaney was brilliant and this film is a personal favorite. He even smokes with his feet!

I couldn't find a full video of the movie so it's broken up in parts, unfortunately.

Archived