An Evening with Def Leppard and Jimmy Page?

Charles J. White

An Evening with Def Leppard and Jimmy Page?

Now before anyone gets angry, let's be hoenst, Jimmy has not really been super busy, and Leppard do have some rocking guitar stuff that a lot of the girls at their shows don't know about:

- Wasted

- Pearl of Euphoria

- Turn to Dust

- Can't Keep Away From The Flame

- Overture

- Billy's Got A Gun

- Paper Sun

- Cruise Control

- White Lightening

- Can't Keep Away From The Flame

Would be cool to see Leppard and Page on stage together doing a mix of Zeppelin and Leppard guitar songs

No thanks.

The Lepps certainly have some bangin' tunes, but they are stylistically incompatible with JP.

Successful as the Crowes collaboration was, if JP ever does decide to play again, he should forget about hooking up with big names, and just get a hungry young band on the road. There are tons of young, unrecognised musicans out there who could do a far better job than O2, IMO.

Agreed. I personally would like if JP did a low key solo acoustic evening - sort of an unplugged. He could bring Roy Harper along if he wished?

Aren't Deff Leppard planning on re-recording all their songs? Not sure that's the kind of band I'd like to see.

Not that I'm a fan but they're doing it for legal reasons. John Prine and Cracker have done the same thing though it was for completely different legal reasons.

They were pretty hot when they were just starting out. When I saw them in 79, I was so close I could almost reach out and pop Steve Clark's zits for him.

I saw them supporting Sammy Hagar. Was that 79? I was on the front row, dead centre in the stalls at the Free Trade Hall. The annoucer hilariously said, " All the way from Sheffield" When I stood up the half wit bouncer gave my a tummy punch and told me to sit down. "All the way from sheffield" my arse

Not sure if 79. Come to think of it, it must've been 80 when I saw em, cos the album was just out.

Supported by Magnum. Horrible, horrible band.

I think they also supported AC/DC on the Highway To Hell Tour. Yes September 14th 1979 supporting Sammy Hagar then a month later 2 nights at the Apollo Manchester supporting DC. I saw them again a year or so later but if memory serves me correct they were poor. I did meet their very first ever singer who lived in Shipley. He was a mate of a mate. We discussed how they had become huge and did he ever feel like Terry Reid?

If I recall he wasn't that fussed. He left because they weren't very good. More than likely the afternoon drifted away :) , like so many of them did in those days, making lovely Joints of red leb and listening to the Allman Brothers. Pure fucking bliss :thumbsup:

If Jimmy Page returns to stage in a non-solo or Led Zeppelin (Page-Plant included) format I wouldn't mind seeing a Coverdale-Page or Firm reunion. If he wants to do something new I'd like to see a new band.

If Jimmy Page returns to stage in a non-solo or Led Zeppelin (Page-Plant included) format I wouldn't mind seeing a Coverdale-Page or Firm reunion. If he wants to do something new I'd like to see a new band.

Agreed Das but I feel he is too old to shlep around doing Rock and Roll. It would be great though to be sure. A great line up would be say JP, Paul Rodgers Vocals, John Wetton on bass and Carl Palmer on the skins

Why not? Because the only time they were a solid group was from 80-83...the "On Through the Night"-"High n Dry"-"Pyromania" years. After that, they became Mutt Lange's bitches and destroyed their sound and band chemistry through too much studio wankery and drugs and alcohol.

Anybody that thinks "Hysteria" and beyond represent "good" Def Leppard needs a roto-rooter thru their ears. ;)

Yeah, it's sad what they went thru but that doesn't mean I have to like them. I'm not here to throw a pity party. There are plenty of other bands that have gone through worse than Def Leppard...doesn't mean I have to like them, either.

If you suck, you suck. I don't make allowances for sob-sister stories.

I saw them back around 81 or so when High n' Dry was new. They were on a bill with the Johnny Van Zant Band and Blackfoot (who headlined) at Minges Coliseum in Greenville, NC. They weren't really my cup of tea then and they definitely aren't now but all of my friends that were into the whole British heavy metal scene in those days loved them. All that said, I thought they were pretty impressive for a group that were barely out of their teens when I first saw them. They were still wet behind the ears but they knew how to rock and went over very well with the crowd. Meanwhile, Blackfoot didn't even know what town they were in.

Def Leppard with Jimmy? Hell no! Who would be next? Poison? Motley Crüe? Slayer? What about Justin Bieber? ;-))

Ahhhh...Justin and Jimmy together at last! I can see it now. Add in Jones and Jason and you could call it "The 4 J's". :rolleyes:

Nice. :lol: I'm actually really surprised they just now broke up. I thought they were done awhile ago.

Just to show how of the loop I am, I just saw where the Jonas Brothers are reuniting. I had no idea they had ever called it quits. Then again, that's not the sort of music I was ever "in the loop" about to start with.

Didn't Jimmy jam with Poison in 90' or 91' during a festival event?

Yep, if I recall-that's the gig where he reportedly fell off the stage or through an opening somewhere.........

Just found this - Here's Brett Michaels accounts of that day. http://powerlinead.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/how-jimmy-page-almost-broke-his-neck-jamming-with-poison/

Archived