Neil Armstrong, First Man on the Moon, RIP

2bitnogoodjive

I remember that day,......

Friends of my mother had a 'moon landing' BBQ/ party at a farm.My first time riding a horse,....

After the moon landing in the passing years,I was always struck by Mr. Armstrong's humble nature and then he never turned this event into his own and never sold out to it,...

Neil Armstrong was instrumental to one of the defining achievements in human history. The first man on the moon, he was quite rightly hailed as a hero throughout the remainder of his life. I am saddened by his passing, but take some consolation in knowing that he truly lived the American Dream.

If you ever have an opportunity to do so, please visit The Neil Armstrong Museum in his hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio, a journey I have made several times through the years. The museum exhibits are, like the man, truly awe-inspiring.

Wow....those screen shots of the younger generation asking who he is is sad. Shows that the kids are either not being taught of the extraordinary events in humanity or that they just don't care.

One can place themselves at a particular place in their timeline of life when an event such as the moon landing happened. I certainly do and was not lost on the significance of it. Just wish the same excitement society felt back then was still instilled in people today.

RIP Mr. Armstrong

Neil Armstrong was instrumental to one of the defining achievements in human history. The first man on the moon, he was quite rightly hailed as a hero throughout the remainder of his life. I am saddened by his passing, but take some consolation in knowing that he truly lived the American Dream.

If you ever have an opportunity to do so, please visit The Neil Armstrong Museum in his hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio, a journey I have made several times through the years. The museum exhibits are, like the man, truly awe-inspiring.

Not much more I can add to Steve's fine words...and to everyone else's posts, as well.

Since a majority of us seem to be in the general 45-55 age range, give or take a few years, we all seemed to have shared the same experience of Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 Mission to the Moon.

We were glued to the flickering images on our television sets that day of July 20, 1969. We built the Revell model kits of the Saturn V rocket and the Lunar Module. We drank Tang in the morning cause that's what we thought the astronauts drank. We went to bed looking out of our windows up at the moon and stars and tingled at the thought that there, way up in the sky thousands and thousands of miles way, human beings were on that glowing globe of cheese looking down on Earth.

I don't think many of us kids slept that night.

Here's a great column about that time from today's L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-neil-armstrong-will-robinson-and-me-20120826,0,34755.story

Regarding the texting teens in alind's post, could this be a fake screenshot? Someone making it up?

Because aren't today's kids supposed to be more tech-savy, more comfortable navigating the internet than us old fogeys? So why wouldn't a kid who didn't know who Neil Armstrong was(and to be fair, it's possible that their science or history class hadn't reached the space age in the curriculum yet) just google his name? Are kids that lazy that they can't even be bothered to google?

wow, i am absolutely disgusted in the posts by alinds and jahfin ( the content, i mean ).

man leaving our planet to actually walk on the moon was a defining moment in our entire history.

shame, shame, shame.

I'm not sure how that happened but I imagine some heads must have rolled at NBC meanwhile I can only guess that Neil Young got a good chuckle out of it. Then there's this...

574456_4018578016919_965530737_n.jpg

I'm not sure how that happened but I imagine some heads must have rolled at NBC meanwhile I can only guess that Neil Young got a good chuckle out of it. Then there's this...

574456_4018578016919_965530737_n.jpg

He is for sure suffering of Space Oddity.

Please send him back to ET (who still hasn't paid any phone bills)

wow, i am absolutely disgusted in the posts by alinds and jahfin ( the content, i mean ).

man leaving our planet to actually walk on the moon was a defining moment in our entire history.

shame, shame, shame.

We're all sometimes ignorant of something we really ought to know ... what I do is google : not tweet .. because ignorance is not something to go public with . It's the arrogant assumption that it's ok to tweet your ignorance that for me is the worst thing...

Archived