Bootleg Impression

SpookyE

I never really thought this thread would really get going, but anyhow I'm the same as most of you. I started out with a little bit then I found myself seeking out all these shows after I got a taste of live Zepp :}

One thing I want to add is were you guys a little put off by some of the poorer sounding boots and how long did it take your ears to get adjusted to the sound? That is if they ever got use to it......

^^^

. As decent as the Montreal 75 show is, I never need to hear it again, thanks to those asswipes who thought they were the show, not Led Zeppelin. It's bad enough they talk, but it's in those annoying accents, too. I always wanted to meet them in person so I could jam their microphone down their throats. Alas, they're probably in their 70s or 80s by now...if not dead. They will not be joining Mike Millard and Freezer in the Tapers Hall of Fame.

Actually I find the Montreal Asswipes very entertaining - being an asswipe myself, I can obviously appreciate their humour. That was one of the boots I'd owned for many years prior to grabbing everything from the net, but to this day, I still have no idea what a 'Poor Booster' is...?

Oh, and what exactly do you find so irritating about their accents? They just sound like regular yanks to me - irritating, for sure...but no more so than usual :P

Ha ha- the very first Zeppelin boot I ever owned (on vinyl) was The 1975 World Tour (Montreal). Since it was also the only bootleg I had ever heard, I just figured that all bootleg recordings were just like this- crappy sound quality & hearing the tapers talk and make comments throughout the show. Actually I liked the "Kashmir" from this show, and when the tapers laugh & say "Long live the Mellotron" and then "Long live the Poor Booster" I thought that they were making rude comments against John Paul Jones. :thumbdown:

So to respond to SpookyE's question- yes I was disappointed in the sound quality based on this first bootleg & probably wouldn't have gotten any more but when I went to a record convention & saw this beautiful color cover box set called Destroyer (1975 World Tour was just a plain white cover w/ an insert) I bought it and to my pleasant surprise the sound quality was great & there were no annoying tapers talking- and that was the bootleg that made me want to go out & get more.

• 2 weeks later...

The first boot I got was disc one of the "Destroyer" on Neutral Zone (it was two cd's packaged separately). I purchased it for probably $25 dollars at a record fair in the early 90's and was not blown away. The sound was thin, the performance not so good, some songs were cut. Also the songs didn't match the cover... As a kid for whom $25 was a lot of money, it felt like a rip off. Not long after I ordered the "Listen to this Eddie" show on 3 cassettes from the Zoso fanzine, and was floored! The band was on fire, the recording made you feel like you were there, and the show had an epic length to it. That one really fueled a Zep obsession that would last a few years.

Hi,

For me it was Blueberry Hill on vinyl bought from Portobello Road market probably sometime in late 1975, also quickly acquired World Tour (Montreal 75 and not a great recording), a single from Earls Court called No Quarter and a while later Mudslide, over the years lost all but Blueberry Hill.

After that I moved away from London and they became impossible to find.

In the CD age the first I acquired was You Shock Me (a mix of the Dallas 75 soundboard and BBC 1971 in pretty good quality) over the years collected a few more both silver CDs and CDRs until they became hard to find (and expensive to buy) Brighton was often a good hunting ground.

I notice that recently quite a few CDs have cropped up on UK Ebay seem to be original silvers at a variety of prices.

Downloads are nice but it's still good to have an original 'solid' item to put in my CD player, although I will only buy if they are cheap.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm brand new to this forum and I dare say that this next comment will not make me popular with too many people judging by the comments I have read here so far.

You cannot call yourself a led Zeppelin fan AND own a bootleg copy of any of their performances. It's hypocrisy of the highest order. You all talk about owning these illegal bootleg copies as though it’s a badge of honour. It’s the total opposite, it’s a shameful display of disrespect to the artists you claim to admire.

Hi,

For me it was Blueberry Hill on vinyl bought from Portobello Road market probably sometime in late 1975, also quickly acquired World Tour (Montreal 75 and not a great recording), a single from Earls Court called No Quarter and a while later Mudslide, over the years lost all but Blueberry Hill.

After that I moved away from London and they became impossible to find.

In the CD age the first I acquired was You Shock Me (a mix of the Dallas 75 soundboard and BBC 1971 in pretty good quality) over the years collected a few more both silver CDs and CDRs until they became hard to find (and expensive to buy) Brighton was often a good hunting ground.

I notice that recently quite a few CDs have cropped up on UK Ebay seem to be original silvers at a variety of prices.

Downloads are nice but it's still good to have an original 'solid' item to put in my CD player, although I will only buy if they are cheap.

Andy

I suggest you just get yourself a stack of CD-R's and burn your downloaded concerts to them so you can listen to them on your cd player. :)

I was such as musical rookie outside of pop music I didn't know the "medley" was a medley of covers, still one of the highlights for me. A room mate had "Tight But Loose" on a horribly pressed LP in a white-ish cover, the sleeve was royal blue. He would never make a tape copy for me- comment witheld. I later found his source at the record shop and got a copy. He was only a room mate for the summer he got kicked out.

It was the medleys that first did it for me, too.

Well, I'm brand new to this forum and I dare say that this next comment will not make me popular with too many people judging by the comments I have read here so far.

You cannot call yourself a led Zeppelin fan AND own a bootleg copy of any of their performances. It's hypocrisy of the highest order. You all talk about owning these illegal bootleg copies as though it’s a badge of honour. It’s the total opposite, it’s a shameful display of disrespect to the artists you claim to admire.

Jimmy has no problem with bootlegging, he encourages it!

We're not talking about downloading the official discography off isoHunt, ffs. The truth is that Led Zeppelin is (with The Beatles) the most bootlegged band in the world, and it can be awfully hard to escape that aspect if you enter into the fandom.

I can and will call myself a Led Zeppelin fan - and I own several bootlegs of their performances. Your diatribe would work more as a description of the assholes who are really "shameful," "disrespect[ful]," and ultimately causing the downfall of the music industry - the pansies who would rather pirate a copy of Led Zeppelin II than spend $5-$10 on it.

I don't have to defend my level of fanaticism to you, so I'll spare you all the boring details - suffice it to say that I've legally purchased the items in Led Zeppelin's discography multiple times, sometimes owning two or three copies of the same material, just to give my money (ultimately) to the band I love.

Haerm?

He might not - might not - have as much of an ethical issue with the free-trade of audience tapes, but I'm almost certain Jimmy (and the rest of the band) look down on the sale of bootlegs - especially those which were not recorded by some industrious fan in the audience, but were stolen, either from himself directly (in the 80s) or wherever the clowns get their hands on the soundboards and multi-tracks.

I mean, he did take a bootlegger to court in Scotland a few years back.

maybe encourage is the wrong word, but he came around in later yrs not being so anal about it.

bootlegging does wonders for bands, getting there sound out there, for many to buy the actual albums.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he's somewhat more relaxed - he himself owns a substantial bootleg collection. But there is some difference, probably - he likely looks on us (the actual fans) with some generosity, and on some people (like the EVSD masterminds) as horrible sub-humans. :P

Also: To answer the thread...the bootleg that I first heard (and which most impressed me way, way back) was a copy of 23/06/1977 - Sgt. Page's Badgeholders, or something along those lines...in mp3! How far I've come.

We're not talking about downloading the official discography off isoHunt, ffs. The truth is that Led Zeppelin is (with The Beatles) the most bootlegged band in the world, and it can be awfully hard to escape that aspect if you enter into the fandom.

I can and will call myself a Led Zeppelin fan - and I own several bootlegs of their performances. Your diatribe would work more as a description of the assholes who are really "shameful," "disrespect[ful]," and ultimately causing the downfall of the music industry - the pansies who would rather pirate a copy of Led Zeppelin II than spend $5-$10 on it.

I don't have to defend my level of fanaticism to you, so I'll spare you all the boring details - suffice it to say that I've legally purchased the items in Led Zeppelin's discography multiple times, sometimes owning two or three copies of the same material, just to give my money (ultimately) to the band I love.

What a cop out.

Just because it's available doesn't mean you have to buy it. Owning a bootleg copy doesn't make you any more of a fan, all it does is fill the pockets of pirates who make money illegally and with no regard to the artist who created the music. You also need to check the definition of diatribe. Statement of fact is more to the point.

I'd like to see you prove that theory.

What a cop out.

Just because it's available doesn't mean you have to buy it. Owning a bootleg copy doesn't make you any more of a fan, all it does is fill the pockets of pirates who make money illegally and with no regard to the artist who created the music. You also need to check the definition of diatribe. Statement of fact is more to the point.

I'd like to see you prove that theory.

i followed up with a correction in my wording ;)

What a cop out.

Did I say that one "ha[d] to buy" bootlegs just because they exist? No, you're putting words into my mouth - what I said was that they are so prolific, they are hard to ignore. One can choose to, certainly, and that's their decision. You seem to make the assumption that everyone who listens to the bootlegs pays for them: Newsflash - the vast majority of people who listen to the bootlegs either download or physically trade them for free, with no money getting into the hands of those peddling them for money.

The truth is that my downloading and/or purchasing of Led Zeppelin bootleg material does nothing to harm the band that I love - what does cause them harm (which you completely ignored) is the pirating of their officially released material, which I rightly derided in my above post.

Gah. Just arguing with another troll on the internet...wish they didn't rile me up every time!

Archived