Led Zeppelin is our God! Yes or no?

Victor Dictor

In the old days we just had fan clubs, and sent a self addressed envelope to an address so that we could get an official letter. I understand the concept here, but calling it religion is going to put most people off. I am Christian and content in my beliefs, and I believe that Led Zeppelin are a great band....nothing less, nothing more. Their poetry is not worthy of worship, like a false idol, but it is worthy of respect. I can enjoy my God, my religion, and Led Zeppelin without deceiving myself to believe that their music is so inspired as to sanctioned by a higher power.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Victor, it’s so nice to see you back again! You are my hero, I even took my nickname after you, in your honor. I thought I’d lost your threads, but here you are. There was another thread where people spoke about building Zep Vatican, it was great fun to read. I wonder, what happened to it? It just disappeared somehow. Anyway, I like your idea, although it’s not exactly your idea. I want to tell you that Robert is My God. I often pray to Him, and He helps me.

That's because all beliefs are self-referential. When we choose to worship, we choose to praise ourselves. When we mourn, we choose to grieve the loss of self.

Good point, Steve. I agree with you. But… there is more to it, when we deal with Led Zeppelin. When we listen to Zep, we don’t want to be ourselves anymore. We want to be there and then, with them. And we know that it’s impossible, absolutely impossible. You might find the way to speak with them (and you probably did), but you will never be one of them. ‘Cause they are not just famous musicians, not even rock-stars – they are Gods. I think it’s a very religious experience. Out of body experience, completely transcendental. The feeling is unmistakable. That’s what I’m trying to say…

Uh, no. When I listen to Zeppelin, I don't literally become captured by their "mystery" and "magic." Their music is figuratively timeless, but I never think they are actually god when I listen to them. They're human beings, who just happen to be extraordinary musicians.

Figuratively, Led Zeppelin are the gods of rock.

I don't literally become captured

Their music is figuratively timeless

OK yes, not literally, but figuratively, metaphorically.

I have to admit: my religion is metaphorical. But I suppose that it’s a good thing for religion, and all major religions are metaphorical, although I will not try to persuade you that it’s true. Just one example: Jesus was real, but his Heavenly Father was just a metaphor he used. Because Jesus was a poet, and for any poet metaphor is more important than real live. And when I say ”John Bonham is in Heaven now”, I just mean “Bonzo is in our hearts”.

I wrote a poem on this subject, for the poetry website I belong to (where I have a different alias, so don't go looking for me):

“I am a jealous God,” said the Hebrews’ deity.
Ain’t got patience for a jealous God, for I’m a spirit free.
I have many idols, on this terrestrial sphere.
And if I didn’t worship them, I’d surely not be here.
For they are Icons, real, of what I have struggled to attain,
my ideals and aspirations, or of persistence through the pain.
I worship them with love, despite their fallibility.
They guide me and inspire me,
with their strength and creativity.
For example-- modern martyrs; who’ve sacrificed for others;
I'm sure that Jesus would think of them as sisters and as brothers.
And rock and roll; it’s my religion; I know the Promised Land
cannot be much like heaven, without my favorite band.
What I seek but never find is Plato’s ideal vision--
the unseen perfect version of our seen world. My submission
is to something that we know by feeling, and I think it must be said
that the traveling to find it cannot start by being dead.
Surely Poetry and Art are to be followed, as a creed;
they can be read and seen, and then, perhaps, believed.
Music is transcendent, call it the Flesh made Word--
not reserved for us in heaven, but here, on earth, is heard.
Nature is a Goddess; her work is the creation;
we strive to understand it, through rational “divination,”
using math and science, objective experimentation.
There are so many idols; I can’t limit adoration
to just one jealous God and his righteous indignation.
The Bible is a document that’s full of truth, I know;
but it was written a long, long time ago.
I’m keeping all my idols, for they soothe me and inspire me.
I’ll continue in my “lifestyle” of spiritual polyamory.
You may say I’m going to “Hell” for my sinful apostasy,
but I’m not afraid of the future grave,
for I’ll have lived with ecstasy.

Thank you everybody who contributed to this thread, I’ll try and answer you soon. But first things first, and I’d like to answer The Dark Lord. Thank you, TDL, for your response.

Would you buy the same excuse? – my religion is metaphorical. That means, when Jimmy is waving with his bow, summoning dark powers onto the stage – he is my God, and I don’t need any other Gods and Devils, they just don’t count. Zep is my God, on stage or in studio. But when the Music’s over – OK guys, you can go back to your mosques or synagogues, or whatever you call them – I don’t mind. But then, if some fundamentalists of any sort start talking again about Jimmy and his Luciferian connections, I would just tell them: “Shut up, you don’t know what you are talking about! You can’t even play music! His Kingdom is not of this world…” That’s how I see Music Religion. Music is well above anything else, that’s all I want to say.

TDL, I remember that you spoke with Jimmy. Didn’t you ask him anything about Magick, or Crowley, or Thelema? If I were you, I would. And I think he could have answered to a fan, rather than to speak with reporters. In my opinion, Crowley was just starting point for him. Jimmy and Robert always wanted to be Gods, they just weren’t sure how to achieve it. Their spiritual quest in the direction of Kashmir and Morocco is just one evidence out of many others. And now we should help them.

Thank you everybody who contributed to this thread, I’ll try and answer you soon. But first things first, and I’d like to answer The Dark Lord. Thank you, TDL, for your response.

Would you buy the same excuse? – my religion is metaphorical. That means, when Jimmy is waving with his bow, summoning dark powers onto the stage – he is my God, and I don’t need any other Gods and Devils, they just don’t count. Zep is my God, on stage or in studio. But when the Music’s over – OK guys, you can go back to your mosques or synagogues, or whatever you call them – I don’t mind. But then, if some fundamentalists of any sort start talking again about Jimmy and his Luciferian connections, I would just tell them: “Shut up, you don’t know what you are talking about! You can’t even play music! His Kingdom is not of this world…” That’s how I see Music Religion. Music is well above anything else, that’s all I want to say.

TDL, I remember that you spoke with Jimmy. Didn’t you ask him anything about Magick, or Crowley, or Thelema? If I were you, I would. And I think he could have answered to a fan, rather than to speak with reporters. In my opinion, Crowley was just starting point for him. Jimmy and Robert always wanted to be Gods, they just weren’t sure how to achieve it. Their spiritual quest i

In the direction of Kashmir and Morocco is just one evidence out of many others. And now we should help them.

No, I didn't ask him about his beliefs, and I think it is rude to push one's "religious" beliefs on others, so I respectfully kept mine to myself. No offence intended, but your beliefs are your beliefs, and you should consider doing the same.

Thank you very much, Scarlet, for your poem. I think it’s very, very good, dead on and well written. Most of all I like these lines:

Surely Poetry and Art are to be followed, as a creed;
they can be read and seen, and then, perhaps, believed.
Music is transcendent, call it the Flesh made Word--
not reserved for us in heaven, but here, on earth, is heard.

Can you please share with us your poetry site address and your alias there? I think it would be interesting, not only for me, but for everybody. You know, I read your thread “Magic, Music, Religion and Psychotherapy”, and it’s very scientific. Probably that’s good, but I could not imagine that you would agree with “Rock and roll is my religion” motto.

Victor, it’s so nice to see you back again! You are my hero, I even took my nickname after you, in your honor. I thought I’d lost your threads, but here you are. There was another thread where people spoke about building Zep Vatican, it was great fun to read. I wonder, what happened to it? It just disappeared somehow. Anyway, I like your idea, although it’s not exactly your idea. I want to tell you that Robert is My God. I often pray to Him, and He helps me.

Thank you, Vicky, and welcome to the forum! Could you elaborate a little on the subject of me being your hero? And yes, Hypertemple is not my idea, it’s Willner’s idea, but I already mentioned it.

And also about Willner. My mother knew him, she attended his lectures at UCF.

What is UCF?

What’s more, I asked you another question, but you didn’t answer.

As for that thread, it was started by the guy named The Chosen One, and I asked him how he knows that he is the chosen one, and he never answered. That’s pretty much it.

Victor, are you always so stupid? UCF stands for University of Central Florida. If you don’t know it, just google it.

I did, but at the first glance it looked like a football team. Yes, now I see. The football team belongs to the University. It could be some Unknown Church of Feeling, how do I know?

And I meant the other thread, with the other chosen one.

Oh, THAT one… Well, I don’t know. That thread was deleted. It was very personal, you know. Perhaps it was deleted by moderators, or by the poster.

And also about Willner. My mother knew him, she attended his lectures at UCF.

And what lectures did he give? By the way, I think you are angry at me because you are angry at yourself that you’d called me your hero, which I’m not actually.

Edited by Victor Dictor

I don’t know who you are and frankly, I don’t care. But I do care about Robert Plant and Derek Willner. Derek gave the course named New Age Theurgy or something like this. Or “Modern Theyrgy”, I don’t remember. I can’t spell it anyway. My mother told me a lot about him. She is not with us anymore, but she left me her copybooks with the lectures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I find all of these rock star/god comparisons to be really intersesting: Zeppelin's most famous biography is called, "Hammer of the Gods," Robert called himself "a Golden God", Clapton was called "God," fans at Doors concerts screamed out to Morrison, "You're god!!" Etc, etc. Some of that era's rock stars--Zeppelin most of all--were uniquely capable of providing their audiences with a mystical, transcendental, hallucinogenic, quasi-religious experience. Therefore, fans came to view these artists/bands as "Gods." In Zeppelin's case, the band was capable of generating such extremely high levels of "magical energy"--energy which was subsequently and repeatedly transferred back and forth between the band and audiences in an ever-escalating upward spiral--that audiences were left feeling mesmerized, enthralled, and euphoric. Because of this, it should be no wonder that this thread addresses the issue of whether Zeppelin were "Gods." Personally, I don't think any human being should ever be worshipped as a god, except Jesus--if one is a Christian.

Edited by Pagefan55

• 3 weeks later...