When the Levee Breaks Live

McSeven

^ Ok, I'll bite, what's wrong with this live version? Sounds pretty damn good performance wise, though the audio is pretty shitty. Lots of drop outs, tape drag, etc. Sure , it does not sound like the studio version but I really like it live, I like this version just as much as the studio.

it's a crap recording but what i found looking quickly......the version i have of the brussels show is much better..the chicago 75 show also isn't that great of a audience recording either, we'll see how it plays when the soundboard comes out......i'm sure it's nothing spectacular, but still fun to have.........along with the wanton song from that show

• 1 month later...

I like the feel of the Brussels one, sounded like to me no one was leading out, all four just playing along. On that one, the bass has to lead out or its going to fall apart. On Unledded, same thing. Nice revist- no drive.

:blink:

This is a song that IMO could only have worked live back in 71/72, i.e. before Plant's voice bust, and before JP started getting sloppy.

I've said it before & I still think I'm right: unless you could somehow manage to get the Headley Grange stariwell onstage to add the all important ambience to the drums this would never have worked.

Simple as that - Page & Co knew that this was basically an ambient recording, and impossible to duplicate.

I think that Levee was one of the first, if not THE first example of the guitar army employed by Page. I hear 6- and 12-string guitars, plus 2 different slide guitars (I'm sure in an open tuning). Although they excelled at making StH work, perhaps Page thought that only 1 guitar when played live did not do the song any justice.

Plus, yes, when it WAS performed live, it was extremely sluggish, as if Bonham couldn't capture the magic from Headley Grange.

the slide is double tracked and re-recorded, at least one of the guitar tracks has only two strings on the guitar.

you are correct on the different tunings as well for the studio parts

the drums at Headley Grange also were run thru a delay unit on the return signal into the board and mixed to the track. Live? It's to be enjoyed for the feel and origin of the blues, not compared to a produced, spliced and masterfully constructed final.

I think that Levee was one of the first, if not THE first example of the guitar army employed by Page. I hear 6- and 12-string guitars, plus 2 different slide guitars (I'm sure in an open tuning). Although they excelled at making StH work, perhaps Page thought that only 1 guitar when played live did not do the song any justice.

Plus, yes, when it WAS performed live, it was extremely sluggish, as if Bonham couldn't capture the magic from Headley Grange.

Archived