Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tazulike88

Alternate Tunings.

Hey, Good people, i have another question .... i love playing Kashmir and in my time of dying, and i'd like to play them every day, but i was told to avoid re-tuning my guitar a lot. and i want to know ...if i drop to DADGAD or Open A once a day ... how bad that will be on my strings, tuners or my guitar nut. i've also been practicing the rain song. but i've forgotten it because i'm now afraid to tune my guitar to alternate tunings.... So, how often should i do it without harming anything ???

I used to wonder about this too, but through years I've learnt this: it's often said that the most delicate part of your guitar, if you always change tunings, is the neck; but listen, the guitar's neck's made of wood, and wood is an elastic material. So it might lose its elastic properties if you keep it in the same position for a very long time. That's why many musicians usually loosen the voltage of the elastic parts when they aren't going to play for a long period. There are musicians who usually loosen the strings before putting their guitar in its case. So there wouldn't be much problem if you keep on re-tune the instrument. As to the strings, they're more delicate and may suffer from the stress of changing voltage. But strings have to be changed quite often, don't they? So it may not to be a big deal...

Of course, it depends much on what kind of guitar you have. The ones with Floyd Rose, for example, can bear major stresses. A Gibson, for how the neck is made, might "suffer" a bit from these "abuses". But it's always such a bland thing...what matters most is the life of your strings, which can shorten. And sometimes temperature changings and damp may be a lot more dangerous.

Finally, to sum up, it doesn't hurt too much to your guitar, don't be afraid of re-tuning it, unless you're dealing with an old or extremely delicate guitar.

I usually change tunings to play various songs, including Going to California or Black Mountain Side, and, more often, to deal with stange problems with my humbuckers (recently, I've had to loosen all the string quite often to mend them...The problem will be solved tomorrow by my angelic "teacher" :angel: -BTW, I have an Epiphone Les Paul) and so far, nothing bad has happened to my guitar.

Of course, I have to recommend you this: if you have to play in concert and you have more than one guitar, you should use different tunings on them, according to the songs you're going to play.

Cheers :)

Julia

As said above...no worries. I have a couple of guitars so I tend to leave one or two in that alternate tuning for a while, saves some time. One is currently tuned for The Rain Song. Not that tuning takes all that long, sometime it is that you just don't have much time.

Change away. Humidity and temperature changes will have more of an affect.

I used to wonder about this too, but through years I've learnt this: it's often said that the most delicate part of your guitar, if you always change tunings, is the neck; but listen, the guitar's neck's made of wood, and wood is an elastic material. So it might lose its elastic properties if you keep it in the same position for a very long time. That's why many musicians usually loosen the voltage of the elastic parts when they aren't going to play for a long period. There are musicians who usually loosen the strings before putting their guitar in its case. So there wouldn't be much problem if you keep on re-tune the instrument. As to the strings, they're more delicate and may suffer from the stress of changing voltage. But strings have to be changed quite often, don't they? So it may not to be a big deal...

Of course, it depends much on what kind of guitar you have. The ones with Floyd Rose, for example, can bear major stresses. A Gibson, for how the neck is made, might "suffer" a bit from these "abuses". But it's always such a bland thing...what matters most is the life of your strings, which can shorten. And sometimes temperature changings and damp may be a lot more dangerous.

Finally, to sum up, it doesn't hurt too much to your guitar, don't be afraid of re-tuning it, unless you're dealing with an old or extremely delicate guitar.

I usually change tunings to play various songs, including Going to California or Black Mountain Side, and, more often, to deal with stange problems with my humbuckers (recently, I've had to loosen all the string quite often to mend them...The problem will be solved tomorrow by my angelic "teacher" :angel: -BTW, I have an Epiphone Les Paul) and so far, nothing bad has happened to my guitar.

Of course, I have to recommend you this: if you have to play in concert and you have more than one guitar, you should use different tunings on them, according to the songs you're going to play.

Cheers :)

Julia

Your reply couldn't be more appreciated Julia, actually i have one guitar ... it had 5 star rating in reliability in every review i read of it ... so far i've learned that leaving the tuners for a long time can stiffen up the neck and make it more vulnerable to warping and stuff .... and that temprature changes have more effect on the strings that re-tuning them ... i was going to get an epi les paul ... but it was difficult to find in egypt so i went to ESP ... i adore the les paul and i hope to own a gibson one day ... good luck with your Teacher :) now i think that if i drop to G for my blues work two times a week, that won't be such a trouble.

As said above...no worries. I have a couple of guitars so I tend to leave one or two in that alternate tuning for a while, saves some time. One is currently tuned for The Rain Song. Not that tuning takes all that long, sometime it is that you just don't have much time.

Change away. Humidity and temperature changes will have more of an affect.

Thanks, Mate, i used to drop to DADGAD two or three times a day, and that's a lot :) ... but now i know that going to alternate and back to standard won't be bad for my guitar ... coming to think of it, i think it's a good thing, it's like an exercise for my neck :) there's no humidity where i live ... the weather here is Magical :)

:thanku: Thank you Zep-fellow! It's always nice to give advice to cool people here :) My epi colour is just like Page's Les Paul, only it's an Epi...and the sound, of course, is different. But I was so shrewd afterwards B)I changed humbuckers and put on the Gibson ones and now there's actually a very little difference between my sound and a Gibson one. The only thing which can make the difference is its wood, but obviously I can't change it :DThanks for your wish. I hope my guitar will be well again soon; it's four days since I last played with the amp (I'm forced to play it without amp at the moment :'()!

there's no humidity where i live ... the weather here is Magical :)

Lucky you! :veryhot: here...

Nice to have met you!

Julia

It really sucks when you have one good guitar and I share the frustration. You are going to stretch your strings more and I hate changing strings. But if you want to play it you have no choice. I have an electric that needs some minor work and I have been reluctant to take it in. I would change that all day long. But not my new Taylor. My cousin finallly took back her Alverez so I have the Taylor.

It really sucks when you have one good guitar and I share the frustration. You are going to stretch your strings more and I hate changing strings. But if you want to play it you have no choice. I have an electric that needs some minor work and I have been reluctant to take it in. I would change that all day long. But not my new Taylor. My cousin finallly took back her Alverez so I have the Taylor.

i didn't know you played....cool.....Alverez makes really nice guitars....what model Taylor do you have?

I just started teaching my 6 year old, its tough for her to bend her small wrist under the neck of my strat.

As far as tunning goes tazulike88, change up your tunning as often as you want too. I always alter my tunning when I want to get a arabic vibe going on. I'll drop the low E to a G so low its almost dead limp, drop the A to a higher octave G (higher than the limp drone string) , D ,G and the B stay standard, then drop the high E to a D.

Edited by zepscoda

drop the low E to a G so low its almost dead limp, drop the A to a higher octave G (higher than the limp drone string) , D ,G and the B stay standard, then drop the high E to a D.

just tried it- thank you this is fun. Have you tried the Taylor Baritone 8string ? After I did, I tuned one of my beater acoustics to match it and it suddenly sounded like a cheesy '50s Western

Retuning often sucks.