Favorite versions of Dazed and Confused?

SpookyE

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Offenburg is indeed a fantastic performance from Page and probably the best overall show of the tour. That being said, I really like Dazed (especially the "Machine Gun" tease before the bow solo), but it's not quite as good as the other two. The band skips the Mars: Bringer of War section, and it feels somewhat hurried and rushed (even though Page in particular is playing his ass off). Vienna and Hamburg have that little something extra, the "X factor" if you will. But Offenburg is a great rendition as well, just a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 rather than a 10 out of 10.

That's fair.  I also wish they didn't skip the Mars section.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me or did Jimmy play quite a bit of different sections of Maggot Brain in his D&C's from 73' on? Especially in 75' he seems to be playing whole pieces of Maggot Brain and Machine Gun.

Damn I love these versions.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Is it just me or did Jimmy play quite a bit of different sections of Maggot Brain in his D&C's from 73' on? Especially in 75' he seems to be playing whole pieces of Maggot Brain and Machine Gun.

Damn I love these versions.

Not saying you're wrong, but do you have any examples (with timestamps) of when he would play a bit of Maggot Brain?

• 1 year later...

I've always held the Dazed & Confused from the Paris Theater '71 to be ONE of my favorites. Maybe it's because when I first started to really get into Zeppelin when I was 13 and first heard the BBC concert series on WNEW FM here in New York play that show I really liked that version of Dazed. I have a soft spot for that version. But, I'd have to say the original Song Remains The Same soundtrack version is amazing on so many levels. Even though it's edited in a few spots, it's still a killer version. But then you delve into all the bootlegs and there's a treasure trove of excellent versions. Osaka 929, Berkeley 9-14-71, Adelaide 2-19-72, Vienna 3-16-73, and finally Hamburg 3-21-73 are in my tops for my favorite versions of Dazed & Confused. 

• 2 years later...

Been on a Dazed kick recently so I thought I'd  bring back this old thread. The ones I listen to the most are:

Leicester 71

Bradford 73

Vienna 73

Essen 73

There are so many killer versions though so special mentions for:

Copenhagen 71

Glasgow (first night) 72

Manchester 72

Hamburg 73

Offenberg 73

Mobile 73

Providence 73

MSG 2-7-75

Philly 75 

Earl's Court 5-17-75

Earl's Court 5-24-75 (mainly for the magical Woodstock/bow section + nostalgia bias)

Edited by 1975NQ

Pretty much all of July '73.  Then:

3-21-75 (really the whole Pacific NW run)

5-24-75

9-29-71

6-28-72

3-24-73

3-12-75

I think Mobile '73 deserves honorable mention, as does 3-27-75.  And I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for 2-12-75, even though it's a bit on the sloppy side.

23 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Been on a Dazed kick recently so I thought I'd  bring back this old thread. The ones I listen to the most are:

Leicester 71

Bradford 73

Vienna 73

Essen 73

There are so many killer versions though so special mentions for:

Copenhagen 71

Glasgow (first night) 72

Manchester 72

Hamburg 73

Offenberg 73

Mobile 73

Providence 73

MSG 2-7-75

Philly 75 

Earl's Court 5-17-75

Earl's Court 5-24-75 (mainly for the magical Woodstock/bow section + nostalgia bias)

Dazed was so consistently good in 71 and 72, you could almost close your eyes and point to a random show, and it would be a good version.

Some versions that are new to me (and stupidly good) that I've made friends with lately:

San Bernadino 72

Sydney 72

LA Forum 8-22-71 (second night)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Pretty much all of July '73. 

Hard to argue with this. I forgot to mention Seattle 73, it's amazing and such a unique version. Bonzo on that outro .. damn.

56 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

In 73 Jimmy played a couple bars of 'Crossroads' in New Orleans. A nice surprise!

Very cool! There are a number of shows from the US 73 tour I haven't heard, and New Orleans is one of them. I'm on a 73 kick right now so putting it on the playlist for this week (along with Ft Worth, San Diego and Boston).

15 minutes ago, John M said:

There is something to be said about the early raw stripped down versions like Danish TV and  Supershow.  So visceral and immediate.

I love both those versions. When I first saw the Supershow version back in high school, I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw/heard. Jimmy Page was just "cool" personified.

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

I love both those versions. When I first saw the Supershow version back in high school, I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw/heard. Jimmy Page was just "cool" personified.

Without a doubt. First time I saw Supershow and saw Jimmy in the leathers with colorful paisley shirt, the dragon tele, blew my mind. That is still the most cool outfit Jimmy ever wore IMO.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:59 PM, 1975NQ said:

There are a number of shows from the US 73 tour I haven't heard, and New Orleans is one of them.

A great show IMO. I would recommend the excellent AUD source, much better than the flat-sounding SB. I am curious what you think of NQ as it is a special one. It is one of the rare versions where Jimmy plays the main riff without WAH-WAH pedal.

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

A great show IMO. I would recommend the excellent AUD source, much better than the flat-sounding SB. I am curious what you think of NQ as it is a special one. It is one of the rare versions where Jimmy plays the main riff without WAH-WAH pedal.

That's the version I listened to, just last night. AUD Winston remaster on Led Zep Boots' channel. I really liked the whole show. They are all very relaxed and loose but also very much on their game. You can tell they're really enjoying themselves. NQ was fantastic (I'm re-listening to it right now actually), The solo was hella chill and fluid (as it should be imo), and I like how Robert is emoting the lyrics in the opening verses in the style of the album version. "Nice one" as Rob says at the end. I'll def be listening to this show again!

I don't know, the NO show (which I do enjoy) is the first show, to my ears, where sticky-fingers starts to noticeably afflict Page's playing.  OTOH, CB is absolutely sizzling, and NQ and D&C are very good (in addition to Crossroads, Page throws in some runs in the closing solo that he traditionally played, but not after the European tour for some reason), although not on par with July.  (WLL is also very enjoyable.)

Edited by JohnOsbourne

6 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I don't know, the NO show (which I do enjoy) is the first show, to my ears, where sticky-fingers starts to noticeably afflict Page's playing.  OTOH, CB is absolutely sizzling, and NQ and D&C are very good (in addition to Crossroads, Page throws in some runs in the closing solo that he traditionally played, but not after the European tour for some reason), although not on par with July.  (WLL is also very enjoyable.)

Yeah, that all sounds like a good assessment, and those were my initial thoughts as well - NQ, DC, WLL and CB being the standouts on first listen. I would def put Providence over this show, for instance. It's hard for me to really get a feel for a show until I've heard it a bunch of times over the course of several months (or sometimes years). Sometimes shows rise in my estimation, other times they get lower. Time has a way of putting it into perspective, as far as my own listening goes. At the moment, it's a fun listen that's for sure. Got that fresh "new car" smell goin on.

Also - bummed that Robert didn't jump on Jimmy's cue for "Going Down" during WLL, as that's one of my fav songs for the medley. At least they did it in Houston, San Diego, LA and Detroit later in the tour.

Edited by 1975NQ

Top 6 DAC from 75 I listen to (because this is why we are here 😛)

5-17-75 - flows really nicely and Jimmy is sounding as good as I've heard from him in 75

5-18-75 fluid Page, red hot Bonzo

2-13-75 - killer, super long version that does not drag at all for me

2-8-75 - a bit disjointed, per 75, but damn when he's on he's on 

2-7-75 - this also flows really well, Page is very fluid, and it just has a great feel to it, not boring at all which for me is rare for DAC from this year

3-20-75 - killer, super long like Nassau above but this one honestly drags a bit in places for me

Honorable mentions: 5-24-75 (best Robert performance of the year, best Woodstock); 3-10-75 (poor audio makes this tough to fairly judge) and 3-25-75 (have a soft spot for this one and it's a damn fine version, my fav night of their 3 night LA run by a mile)

Edited by 1975NQ